Coleman powerchill power useage?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
How long can a powerchill be powered with the vehicle off? Also, what solor system would I need to power it while off the grid?

I am looking at using mine for camping for weekend etc, and want to get and idea of how long I can leave it running in the jeep etc.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
How long can a powerchill be powered with the vehicle off? Also, what solor system would I need to power it while off the grid?

I am looking at using mine for camping for weekend etc, and want to get and idea of how long I can leave it running in the jeep etc.

Thermoelectric chillers take a lot more power to run than refrigerators, and can only lower the temperature 40 degrees from ambient - so if you want to keep stuff cold it needs to be in 80 degree or lower temps. They are a low cost solution to cooling if that suits your needs and you have sufficient power for it. Looks like the power consumption is 4A, compared to an ARB at 0.7-2.3 - 3x.

wagex

Adventurer
also that is 4a continuous vs the arb that just kick on for a little bit at a time. i use a similar one for long road trips as the car is running the whole time with AC on stuff in the cooler stays pretty cold.

kojackJKU

I had my powerchill in my house when i bought it, put a 12 pack of pepsi in it to test. 4 hrs later the cans had ice in them. sweet. I know they are power hungry. I am looking to keep stuff cool while travelling. but have the option using solar to keep it rollin!

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I had a Coleman Powerchill years ago. I had it in a Chevy Tahoe. Worked okay when the SUV was running but I kept having to unplug it if the Tahoe was parked and unoccupied for more than an hour. We forgot to unplug it when we drove to the top of Mount Washington (NH) and came back after hiking for three hours to a dead battery. I then began doing tests when I got home including using a large battery jumper box which still only lasted about an hour.
I did a lot of research and spent the money for an ARB 50Qt and have been very happy. It was a lot of money but I have made ice when the outside temperature is 94 degrees and the truck is parked (off) and unoccupied. Never had a power issue again. I can run the fridge for 3 days without starting the truck.
I am not sure you can find a solar panel large enough to power the Coleman.
Good luck

kojackJKU

I had a Coleman Powerchill years ago. I had it in a Chevy Tahoe. Worked okay when the SUV was running but I kept having to unplug it if the Tahoe was parked and unoccupied for more than an hour. We forgot to unplug it when we drove to the top of Mount Washington (NH) and came back after hiking for three hours to a dead battery. I then began doing tests when I got home including using a large battery jumper box which still only lasted about an hour.
I did a lot of research and spent the money for an ARB 50Qt and have been very happy. It was a lot of money but I have made ice when the outside temperature is 94 degrees and the truck is parked (off) and unoccupied. Never had a power issue again. I can run the fridge for 3 days without starting the truck.
I am not sure you can find a solar panel large enough to power the Coleman.

I know a real fridge would be the best. But that this point, its not in the cards. I am just opening a new business, so I want to make sure I have money for awhile before making any more purchases. I have to use what I have. As for the solar.....there are systems that are big enough, I saw one guy on youtube running his off one in his trailer. Maybe have to put the solar panel on the battery to keep the charge going to that. But its for travelling keeping sandwiches, drinks etc cool. I don't need to make ice. I also keep blue ice packs inside too.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I understand completely about the cost of a fridge/freezer being such a huge factor. It was several years before I could come up with the cash. I also agree that you should use what you have. I just wanted to share my experiences so you were not surprised with a dead battery like I was.
Safe travels

kojackJKU

Oh no, I know that I have to unplug as soon as I stop. its the reason i use the chill blocks etc inside. so when stopped I still have some cold stuff in there. I hope to have one in 2 years time. I need to complete my jeep, pop up and get my mac stuff for blogging. ....then comes the fridge.

kbahus

Adventurer
I would recommend selling it on craigslist and buying a good cooler. You are looking to spend at least $200 for a solar setup just to maybe run a 12v fridge that is power hungry and only keeps things sort of cool. I tried one for a summer and found it pretty worthless. Much happier with the Yeti I replaced it with, and now there is the Ozark Trail cooler option for even less money. The cooler will last a lifetime and always work with a little ice.

kojackJKU

NO ozark trails up here, and if I was buying a cooler i would just buy a coleman....Not enough difference in the Yeti to justify its massive increase in costs. Plus the solar can be used for more than running the cooler as well. I have a pop up camper, and having a big solar system on that would be very benifical!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94