Coleman model 5640 Cooler?

Wanderlusty

Explorer
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5640B814G&categoryid=8570

We are having a garage sale tomorrow with us and my cousin and her husband.

One of the items he brought over to sell was this Coleman cooler, which he wants $15 for.

How is this for light expedition use? It needs a constant power source, which is why he is getting rid of it, but I figure if you have it plugged in to you accessory/ciggy lighter while on the trail, that it will keep some coolness through the night and then the next day, cool back down when it is plugged back in and cooling.

Basically, I already have a regular Coleman cooler about the same size, but would like an electric one so I don't have to lose half the space to ice and cold packs.

Is this a good start, especially for the $15 price, or should I let it go and just use my cooler, and save for one of the pricier units?

Thanks!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Heck, for $15 buy it from him and give it a try.
If it turns out to be no good for what you need you could
sell it again easily enough at another garage sale or on craigslist in your area.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I refuse to call you Fat!....that would be just plain 'ole rude!

So I will jus' call you "F.M." ........how's that?

I've seen these little coolers at garage sales and in the stores. I've read the instructions and find that they will ONLY cool down to so many degrees below what the outside ambient temp. is. So if it's say.....100* out.....and they will cool down 30* to 40* below the ambient temp........then you are only down to 60* at best.....and you have rotten bacon and eggs in da morning bradda!

That was not good enough for me, so I did NOT buy no matter how good the price.

I still use my 48QT. Standard Coleman Cooler....but rather than putting ice cubes all over the cooler. .......I now make "Ice Blocks" from 2 QT. Juice Bottles. This way you don't have everything "floating in a sea of Yuk!".....and the ICE last's MUCH Longer!!!!!!!!

In the winter this can last for 7 days (have not tried longer, but it might be a go!). In the summer, it has lasted up to 5 days....but you must make sure you keep a cover/shade on your cooler. Keep the direct sunlight OFF it!

Oh!...........and now you also have an Emergency Water Supply when it all melts if you get into trouble!!!!!!:cool:

Anyway...........I'm willing to put up with this until some miracle happens on a REAL outback fridge/freeze!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

OH!............

And I agree with Brian too!..............LOL:jump:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
That Coleman is a Thermoelectric (TE) cooler, and will result in mediocre cooling at best in comparison to Engel's and Waeco units. A major draw back to TE is the large electrical draw created from this unit... and can (in some cases) drain a battery in under 6 hours. The unit will only cool to about 30* below ambient, and will not hold a steady temperature.

So if you determine that this unit if for you, and at $15.00 go for it. But, keep in mind the draw backs.

Scott should be posting up my review of the fridge/freezers shortly that will fully explain the selection of an expedition fridge/freezer, and the differences of the different coolers out there. It will be posted here.

Hope that helps a bit!

Wil

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Oh, I forgot to mention that TE units produce a lot of heat since they cool by appling direct current to a semiconductor which makes one side of it hot, and one side cold (which is known as the Peltier effect).

blaze one

Adventurer
I too took notice of these units , after finding out that a Fridge/Freezer setup is going to cost about $1000 ! I said what else ? and then came to the conclusion that they only cool 30-40* below the ambient temp . and thus , CRAPPY choice , unless you only use in 60-70* climates . :D
I instead bought a 7 day coleman extreme cooler , i use those blue artificial ice packs , and Prechill/ almost freeze my drinking water , and any other items that can take freezing and thawing . After 9 days in 80*+ weather , in the back of my SUV , the water was still ice cold ,and my lunch meats were too .

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Thanks, I think I will let it go then and use my regular cooler. Save up for a good one or become an expert at using a traditional one.

And FM is ok if you REALLY don't wanna say Fat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles