Coleman Gemini PowerPack - Alternative to large propane tanks

dreadlocks

well thats why you dont buy disposable canisters in the first place, if its not the cost.. then why buy one that just leaks.. whats more wastefull, a lil steel tank or the rather harmful contents of it?

they make smaller refillable LP tanks, you dont needa 20#er

Boatbuilder79

Most of the time I use An adapter hose with a 20 pound tank.

I would buy a small refillable tank if I needed one but refilling the used ones works fine I have not really had a problem with leakage. I see it kinda like buying Tupperware when you can just wash and reuse that plastic peanut butter jar or the plastic tub your yogurt came in.

I would not recommend refilling 20 of em at once and keeping them in an enclosed space with a source of ignition

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Don’t be so dramatic.

It’s not the cost it’s the wastefulness of throwing them away after a single use.
As the doctor said

"so stop doing that"

Use the ones **designed** to be refilled safely, no waste at all **and** a tiny fraction of the cost.

And, travelling across state lines with refilled disposables is illegal.

For a good reason.

Yes, the risk is low you would die, but in general with all such fuels I try to reduce the risk as much as practical.

And in this case safer is also cheaper, **and** greener.

Much!

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I refilled for a while, but it's a marginal pita process, and what killed it for me was the realization that the valves/seals on the 1 lb bottles aren't made to last through multiple uses.

Fwiw, if you pierce the bottles, they can be recycled. Apply common sense when doing so.

Boatbuilder79

I really prefer cooking over a campfire or using the liquid gas stoves. It’s really too bad they’re banned in so many places now.

john61ct

Adventurer
No, 80gal, 48" long about 30" across. Bought cheap $750 off a guy imported from Mexico, too big for what he wanted

Mounts low between the frame rails but over the axles. Removes when I need to, e.g. hauling a big sailboat, can go up to 14K lbs total.

Supplies a remote off grid cabin, also group camping, heat, cooking and genset when needed, have a big water tank too.

john61ct

Adventurer
completely agree, but then we may not be talking about the same individuals

I find it best to maybe just ignore people that trigger such feelings, but as they say, you teach the things you most need to learn :cool:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Get real guys (any good ol' boy that can fill 100 pound tanks can fill non OPD tanks; and likely won't care about pressure test stamps or dates).
Personally, I gave up on disposable tanks and got a 10 pound OPD refillable tank for compactness and refill cost (other sizes are also available); for extend use I use a standard 20 pound OPD tank.

IMO refilling one pounders is false economy; and using them the first time is wasteful at best.

...Spend a little more (for a legit refillable tank, regulator and hose), do it right the first time then don't worry about it....while you reap the savings.
Last refill on the 10 pounder ~ $8.
Last disposable cost was ~ $4.00 ea.
$4 x 10 lb = $40
$40 - $8 = $32 saved per each refill of the 10 pounder and no hassle messing around with disposables.

Enjoy!

Grassland

Get real guys (any good ol' boy that can fill 100 pound tanks can fill non OPD tanks; and likely won't care about pressure test stamps or dates).
Personally, I gave up on disposable tanks and got a 10 pound OPD refillable tank for compactness and refill cost (other sizes are also available); for extend use I use a standard 20 pound OPD tank.

IMO refilling one pounders is false economy; and using them the first time is wasteful at best.

...Spend a little more (for a legit refillable tank, regulator and hose), do it right the first time then don't worry about it....while you reap the savings.
Last refill on the 10 pounder ~ $8.
Last disposable cost was ~ $4.00 ea.
$4 x 10 lb = $40
$40 - $8 = $32 saved per each refill of the 10 pounder and no hassle messing around with disposables.

Enjoy!

Yeah the 1lb tanks are really out of control price wise now.
I've seen them 3 for $19.99 lately I think.

I'll have to go find a 5 or 10# tank so I don't have to lug my 20 around or use 1# when going light.

dreadlocks

I've been restocking 1# bottles at coleman outlet store on Fathers Day weekend, IIRC they are under $2 a bottle.. and people are buying em buy the caseload.. but I use em so little now days of the 4 I bought last summer 3 of em are still unused.. and my 20# tank lasted all season and still has gas in it.. though now that I have a heater that'll probably change, my buddy heater would eat up a 1# bottle a night, financially it was terrible.

john61ct

Adventurer
Of course the tank's certified, in this case DOT, designed for mobility, expires in 2+ years, costs $15 to get recertified. Without cert cannot import. ASME is the other way, but for stationary, no expiration date.

Can use any self-serve AutoGas, but also no problems at any dealer so far, I have a remote fill, so when the living pod is aboard, just like any RV refilling.

Safety issues do not increase with bottle size. The key is proper design and implementation, and then frequent inspection and testing for leaks.

Also both CO / low O2, and FF detection alarms inside the living space are a must IMO.

Install the latter away from where any mammals fart, will set off a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94