Coleman Colorado Frankenstein Trailer Project

DblD

Adventurer
Great build! I love your quote and the LLAP flag.

Right back at ya FinsUp. Wondered if anyone would notice the flag.

Wore out the pup on the trip.

1442781882_img_1197.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words.

dd

Hogeyphenogey

I love your camper! I have a colorado as well- just on the regular frame! Bought from a member on here.

Anyhow, i'm interested to know about your addition of the batteries and lighting. Also you mentioned the table- I did the same thing in mine- and you were going to shore it up to limit the wobble.

Any details?

Attachments

• camper.JPG
    camper.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 328
  • camper4.jpg
    camper4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 91
  • camper3.jpg
    camper3.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 90
  • camper1.jpg
    camper1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 89
  • camper2.jpg
    camper2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 88

operator john

Dbld cool build. Any updates ???. Iam looking for a Colorado right now & will copy your setup. Thanks for posting this COOL camper .John

DblD

Adventurer
Hey John,

Just spent three nights in the camper at the Rendezvous In The Ozarks on the Mulberry River in AR. On Friday of that weekend it started raining at about 9:30 in the morning and really didn’t stop by the time we went to bed at 10:00 that night. The little trailer stayed dry inside and has served us well.

1540427216_img_3216.jpg

1540480818_img_3220.jpg

This was the maiden voyage for he new Tacoma.
Looks like I need to change my profile picture.

dd

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Hey DblD.. it looks great.

May I ask a favor? I'm about to install the canvas on my 2 year project Colorado.. and my memory is not quite what it was. :) Any chance of a few pics showing how the door assembly goes together? Think I have everything else figured correctly.

For those reading.. Bear Creek no longer offers replacement canvas or road covers for this model. www.canvasreplacements.com is the only source that i'm familiar with.

NewCanvas.jpg

DblD

Adventurer
Hey OverlandZJ,
I would have sworn I documented every single step of the process of putting this little trailer together. As I look back on the pictures, I don't find any of the door mechanism. I do recall having to take the entire canvas back off to get the door frame installed. The only advice I can give there is patience and some sort of lubricant (insert 8th grade "lubrication" joke here). If I recall correctly I settled on shave cream to help slide the door frame thru the canvas sleeve. I could then just wash the shave cream off with water. Here are a few additional pics. Hope some of these help.

1541714315_p3220890.jpg

1541714347_p3290895.jpg

1541714402_img_2754.jpg

dd

EDIT...

Found one more looking from the inside out.

1541715937_p4060903__2_.jpg

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Thank You DblD.. now I have a much better idea. I couldn't remember that short pole that tied into the top..

Appreciate the tip to install the door frame prior to hanging the canvas over bows.

DblD

Adventurer
That's a really nice looking trailer. You did a great job on the rebuild.

Thank you 4x4JeepCamper. While talking with some folks at the recent Rendezvous In The Ozarks, my wife pointed out that the only pieces left from the original camper are the extruded aluminum caps, the bows holding up the canvas, and the cushions. I really didn't intend on that at the outset. A case of "shipfitters disease" I guess. Still would like to install a dual bank marine battery charger and a more permanent 110v inverter.

dd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles