Coleman Campstove Oven carrying case?

gunsandgearnetwork

For those that have or considered ordering one of the canvas bags (like the one in above post) I posted that I thought might work it sorta kinda works. It is a very tight fit to get the stove into the bag and the straps are to short to actually buckle. I made mine work by working the stove into the bag (hoping it will stretch) and I added longer straps. Some of you may or may not want to go through this trouble so I thought I would let you know. Here are some pics of how it looks once I got it to work.

Attachments

• 20190111_192749.jpg
    20190111_192749.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 20190111_192833.jpg
    20190111_192833.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27

rnArmy

Adventurer
You beat me to it. My bag came in today, and I did a trial fit. It is a very snug fit, but that's the way I want it actually (so it takes up less room in the trailer). Now I just need to make a trek to Jo-Ann fabric and see about getting some longer leather straps. Gunsandgearnetwork - where did you get your longer straps?

Attachments

• Oven cover.1.jpg
    Oven cover.1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Oven cover.2.jpg
    Oven cover.2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

gunsandgearnetwork

You beat me to it. My bag came in today, and I did a trial fit. It is a very snug fit, but that's the way I want it actually (so it takes up less room in the trailer). Now I just need to make a trek to Jo-Ann fabric and see about getting some longer leather straps. Gunsandgearnetwork - where did you get your longer straps?

I always keep extra leather around for repairs and projects. I just ripped out the rivets and attached the new straps with Chicago screws that you can get from Tractor Supply. Now that the fabric has relaxed I can actually get a small flat baking pan in the bag so I am good on the fit also. I like that it looks like an old vintage bag.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Tractor Supply - Chicago screws - got it. I have no Idea what Chicago screws are, but I'll find out. Drilling out the rivets in there now are easy enough. I'm not wanting to turn this into a major project (like I'm famous for doing). I think once I get the leather strap thing done (and significantly shorten the carrying strap) this bag will be perfect for what I need it to do.

Thanks!

rnArmy

Adventurer
Ok... so I went to TSC and got some Chicago screws. They were in the horse section. And right beside them were some leather pieces that only horse people would know what they're for. But they looked nice, so I bought them (they were like $7-something for the pair). Then off with the old leather hardware, on with the new. I put some leather rectangle reinforcements on the backsides of the straps. And reinforced it with superglue. I am happy with how it turned out. Now I just need to shorten the carrying strap and call it done.

My wife asked me if I was going to put some rhinestones on the bag too. I think she was kidding. But maybe an iron-on patch on the front between the straps....

Attachments

• coleman folding oven.1.jpg
    coleman folding oven.1.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 44
  • coleman folding oven.2.jpg
    coleman folding oven.2.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 41

lvcjt702

And right beside them were some leather pieces that only horse people would know what they're for.

Spur straps.
8ded0a8560cd97f37056f8d3e129f890.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

gunsandgearnetwork

Ok... so I went to TSC and got some Chicago screws. They were in the horse section. And right beside them were some leather pieces that only horse people would know what they're for. But they looked nice, so I bought them (they were like $7-something for the pair). Then off with the old leather hardware, on with the new. I put some leather rectangle reinforcements on the backsides of the straps. And reinforced it with superglue. I am happy with how it turned out. Now I just need to shorten the carrying strap and call it done.

My wife asked me if I was going to put some rhinestones on the bag too. I think she was kidding. But maybe an iron-on patch on the front between the straps....

Yes, those are spur straps. Looks really nice. If you want to make it look official you can put this Coleman patch on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-La...h=item3fb47d341c:g:KtUAAOSwQzJcFBol:rk:1:pf:0

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yes, those are spur straps. Looks really nice. If you want to make it look official you can put this Coleman patch on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-La...h=item3fb47d341c:g:KtUAAOSwQzJcFBol:rk:1:pf:0

I was kinda joking about the patch. But this would be so easy to do. Hmmm... tempting. I gotta think about this one. Only 8 bucks with shipping. I could iron one on, and drive people crazy telling them this oven bag was an official Coleman option at one time, and they might be able to find one on Amazon or ebay if they look hard enough.

1547566387681.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles