Coleman Addiction.....for pesants. ha ha ha!

Buckshot62

Observer
According to the info I can find Burgundies were only made from 9/61 to 5/62 (some 5/62's are back to the red color). Would really like to find an affordable 2/62 Burgundy as that is my birthday lantern. I bid on a couple on ebay but others wanted them more than I did.

screwball48

Explorer
I just ran across one of these on ebay. Kind of looks neat. Not sure how long it would last though.
fa1053142c62e0a758882158f4335e33.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
Got a 220F lantern off of ebay in really good shape. Needed a new pump and looks like the generator needs a good cleaning. Also found a Exponent 550B stove on Craigslist. So that makes my collection now the afore mentioned items and a 425C stove and a 513-700 heater.

Last edited:

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Been looking for some vintage Coleman gear..... nothing at the couple of local Thrift Shops....... started looking on EBAY....... Wow!..... This could be trouble.....
Bought a 425 (no letter) stove....... some elbow grease and it works great!
Also picked up a 54 quart ice chest....... made in 1976 I figure..... clean inside, with enough small dents and slight rust to give it character.
Even had the original box and the original food tray!

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
By 1995, I don't think they were real 200A's any more. I think it was basically a 285 painted red. Post a picture.
I think 1983 was the last year for the 200a. Have you heard the story about the paint color change? The story I heard was that some time in the early 80's it was found that the red paint that was being used on the 200a lanterns had too much lead in it and they had to discontinue their use. That's why the last 200a's from about 1981 to 83 were green instead of red. I do have a green 200a, pretty unique lantern, I haven't seen many "in the wild."
My particular addiction is the Sears-branded Colemans. I have 3 and would love to have more. If anyone's got a blue/black single mantle Sears (basically a 200a with a different fount) for sale, shoot me a PM. I have both two mantles (big hat and small hat) in blue/black and I'm looking for a single mantle to complete the set.

Buckshot62

Observer
The single mantles seem to be very expensive. One was posted on CCF for 100.00 shipped. There is another one on evil bay @31.00 now with about 4 days to go. I have a blue/black small brim that is nice. This disease may be as bad as Jeeps !

crusaderJK

Adventurer
By 1995, I don't think they were real 200A's any more. I think it was basically a 285 painted red. Post a picture.

I think 1983 was the last year for the 200a. Have you heard the story about the paint color change? The story I heard was that some time in the early 80's it was found that the red paint that was being used on the 200a lanterns had too much lead in it and they had to discontinue their use. That's why the last 200a's from about 1981 to 83 were green instead of red. I do have a green 200a, pretty unique lantern, I haven't seen many "in the wild."

He was talking about a 200 B !! Those were made in 1995. They have the 200 A look with the newer adjustable valve assemblies...just like the centennial and the japanese seasons lanterns.

I recently read, that the paint on the red 286 was somewhat toxic. Don't know if it's true.
Maybe an urban legend...

The green 200 As are really nice. I have one dated 9-83. Possibly one of the last ones made.

BMWJNKY

A little OT but hopefully someone can help me. I picked up a Coleman 426 3 burner stove this summer and it works but I'm having to constantly pump it every 2-3 min to keep the flame going. Is this how these stoves are or is something worn out. There are no pressure leaks when the tank is pumped up before opening the valve to light it. This is my first liquid gas stove, when I used to backpack I had a 1 burner butane stove that is now part of my B.O.B. kit.

Dice

A little OT but hopefully someone can help me. I picked up a Coleman 426 3 burner stove this summer and it works but I'm having to constantly pump it every 2-3 min to keep the flame going. Is this how these stoves are or is something worn out. There are no pressure leaks when the tank is pumped up before opening the valve to light it. This is my first liquid gas stove, when I used to backpack I had a 1 burner butane stove that is now part of my B.O.B. kit.
Pump it up and put the tank in a 5 gallon bucket of water, I'd bet you find a bubble trail coming from the filler cap. Pretty cheap and easy fix. It's just a quick gasket change.

AndrewP

Explorer
It's loosing pressure somewhere, and the cap gasket is a likely spot. If it's an older 426 with the 3 piece cap, it's worth saving the cap, and I can help you do that-in in Sacramento too.

If it's a 1 piece cap, you can replace the gasket, but it's likely easier to just get a new cap.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Great thread.

My Coleman products are more contemporary than most on this thread.

I've got a Dual Fuel 2 mantle lantern and a Dual Fuel 2 burner stove and I love my single burner too...

51NHVYDHM7L._SY355_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles