Coleman Addiction.....for pesants. ha ha ha!

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Anyone in the Boise area want a stove? I bought way too many at a local auction site, with the intention of restoring some and using some for parts. Then I bought a bus (see one of my other threads) and it would gain me some ground with the wife if I got rid of a few stoves. Free to good ExPo homes, they'll need some tinkering to get running but are solid enough. I think I have a couple 413's, 425's, and a 426 or two. PM if interested.

mudbutt

Explorer
$_57 (Medium).JPG
One of these just turned up on fleabay. Although there were a few scratches on the bottom lip of the tank, it was otherwise mint and never fired. It sold for north of $200.00. There is another I'm watching and so far it's at $160.00

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
View attachment 381999
One of these just turned up on fleabay. Although there were a few scratches on the bottom lip of the tank, it was otherwise mint and never fired. It sold for north of $200.00. There is another I'm watching and so far it's at $160.00
:Wow1: For a run-of-the-mill 200a? I wouldn't pay half that for a black band 200a.
I picked up a pretty pristine 1946 242c painted fount at an antique store in Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago. $45 out the door and it has an unusual globe with a 'match hole' in it - never seen that before!

242-1946-01.jpg
242-1946-02.jpg
Posted it on the Coleman forums - apparently the globe was either for another lantern or an aftermarket globe. Either way, since I didn't have any painted-fount 242s (I have 3 nickel founts) I decided to go ahead and get it. BTW if anyone in CO Springs is looking for a nice nickel-fount 242 they had another one there.

Buckshot62

Observer
View attachment 381999
What is the month/year of manufacture on that ? I now have 4 of these(all users,no show stuff). My wife would kill me if I spent 200.00 on one lantern !

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The second one just sold at $325.00!!!!
:rolleyes: Unfortunately it seems that Coleman lanterns have become the next "trendy" collectible and now all the Coleman hipsters are driving up the prices.
I never quite understood the value of the "unfired" lantern, since I like to light mine up (though I have several that need some work before that can happen.)

mudbutt

Explorer
Are you a collector,user or somewhere in between?

Just a user, not a collector. I was lucky enough to receive a 200b in 95 as a Christmas gift from my wife. I didn't give it much thought other than "that's a really neat little lantern". It's been on too many camping trips to count and has never failed me. Just took it to Baja last Thanksgiving. I got curious after finding out that these were only made in '95 and '97. Plus I really like the somewhat rare red color. So I went to that online bidding site to see if any were available. Heck why not have two? Well, I won't be getting another at THOSE prices... Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Buckshot62

Observer
The original 200's and 200A's were made starting in 1950 or 1951. There were many versions made over the years Christmas lantern,black band,Burgundies and Canadians to name a few. I bought a Coleman lantern last July just to learn how it works and in case of power loss. I now have about 12 lanterns hanging in the garage ! It is like owning a jeep,one is never enough. There is a lot of help on the CCF. And quite a few good deals on lanterns and stoves in the classifieds.

AndrewP

Explorer
The one pictured above I think is a late "Burgundy" Note the fount color is a deeper red than the average 200A. I'd guess 1963 or so.

Lots of great variations in the 200A. By 1995, I don't think they were real 200A's any more. I think it was basically a 285 painted red. Post a picture.

You just can't beat the Coleman stuff. It still works great, 50 years on.

I agree with Martin, that my favorites are the 242s. Same generator and brightness as a 200A, but with more brass and nickle plating. 242Bs and 242Cs are it for the win. Unless, that is, you get a 236.:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94