Colb's Red Rover

vitola231

Observer
I cut my roof lights into the wind deflector I built. The lights are 5 degree, 5 watts per bulb. I do have more noise but very little more, my window wind deflectors make more noise than the roof lights, I also carry a canoe so this keeps the lights out of the way.

Yimage.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

DiscoNels

Adventurer
So it has been a while since i have posted last...Figured since i am heading off to Africa might as well get some work done to the Rover so its ready for when i get back.

Currently working on some designs for a custom bumper build for both my front and rear application, with the CDN dollar to US hovering around the $1.38CDN to 1USD, just doesn't make sense to buy from the states for the cost, plus then shipping and duties (fellow canucks will understand that pain).

With the custom design going to go with a full bull design so I can run limb risers pending on trails etc. Definitely have approach angles and weight as my primary concerns to keep them high as possible and make sure the beast doesn't get to heavy. Ill definitely go with a similar two unit design like that TR bumper having the steel winch plate and going with an aluminum bumper covering to keep the weight down.

People running aftermarket bumpers just wanted to poll the crowd and see if there were any concerns or thoughts when it came to their bumpers, features they wished they had or ones not so important.

1. Windshield washer bottle - haven't fully committed on the removal and relocate, after spending a lot of time staring at Rays custom bumper the design has grown on me and be asymmetrical really wouldn't be a make or break it item for me. Plus keeping that additional space for a compressor and other goodies would be key.

2. Sensors (front and rear) - this i am torn on, i have a 14 jeep rubi that i daily and it doesn't have sensors and i don't miss them... however i do like having them on the Rover even tho it has wayyyy better visibility than the jeep.

If I do go the sensor route I will need two fronts to replace my colour matched ones anyone have some spare textured ones or not coloured ones kicking around?

Front bumper features

- removable skid plate - recommended by both Ray and Eric.
- two recovery points
- will go with aftermarket fogs not sure what brand etc, most definitely an LED and ill throw a yellow laminex (BC fog is a pain)
- Similar front cut out spot like what Ray has allow air flow and weight reduction (might wedge a DOT led light bar, feed my obsession with more light)

Rear

- tire swing
- additional shovel and axe mount
- CB antenna/VHF mount potentially

Open to all other suggestions!

1) I read (I think on this forum) about the Lucky8 LR3 guys using a Defender washer bottle that is in the same/similar spot to original and will preserve that nice open space in front of the auxiliary battery box for your on-board air, etc.

2) I have the Tactical 4x4 front and rear bumpers and my two cents is to go with NO sensors. Going from having them to not was very difficult at first and I will never go back to the dependence of that beeping to tell me where my bumpers are. Learn your perimeter boundaries and be a better driver. Besides, the addition of the sensors just means longer installation times and more hassle when things go wrong with them.

I cut my roof lights into the wind deflector I built. The lights are 5 degree, 5 watts per bulb. I do have more noise but very little more, my window wind deflectors make more noise than the roof lights, I also carry a canoe so this keeps the lights out of the way.

Looks great....very clean install!

1) I read (I think on this forum) about the Lucky8 LR3 guys using a Defender washer bottle that is in the same/similar spot to original and will preserve that nice open space in front of the auxiliary battery box for your on-board air, etc.

2) I have the Tactical 4x4 front and rear bumpers and my two cents is to go with NO sensors. Going from having them to not was very difficult at first and I will never go back to the dependence of that beeping to tell me where my bumpers are. Learn your perimeter boundaries and be a better driver. Besides, the addition of the sensors just means longer installation times and more hassle when things go wrong with them.

Yes, Lucky has the Defender bottle in stock. I used one recommended from Eric at TR off Amazon, and it works fine. I hear the Defender one will go under the TR bumper as well but not sure. Completely concur with keeping the bottle down in the bumper to preserve extra under-hood space. My Amazon one is much smaller than OEM but gets the job done for sure, and it was $20 shipped. The lucky8 option is, of course, nice to stay with LR parts but not sure on the cost.

I also concur! I do not have my sensors installed and do not miss them at all. I haven't figured out how to turn off the light or beep with my Gap Tool just yet so if someone knows, please pass the info! The sensors are never going to work properly anyway with swing away, winch, etc... so it is not worth the time for me or the extra electrical hassle! The back might be nice as visibility is reduced once the rig is loaded up, but I get by just fine. I do not recommend the sensors for front or rear, but that's just my opinion.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I also concur! I do not have my sensors installed and do not miss them at all. I haven't figured out how to turn off the light or beep with my Gap Tool just yet so if someone knows, please pass the info!

Ditto for me too, can't figure out how to turn off the light and stop the beeping.

colb45

Observer
Hunter in Banff - small verison.JPG

Haven't made a post in a while, busy with life work etc.

Lots of progress with the truck, many more photos to come with all the additions and modifications.

Best mod yet, our Entlebucher Mountain dog - "Hunter"

Here is the additions list, photos coming shortly.

Rear Hatch
  • ARB Element Fridge
  • ARB Element Fridge slide
  • Ark Pak 730
  • Drifta Drawer system
  • 3rd Row seats removed for additional storage

WIP
  • Rear lighting – just need to install
  • 2nd Row seat removal, storage area for recovery gear
  • Water tank storage
  • Custom Dog kennel

Lighting Upgrades
  • Rigid SS cubes off the side of the 50” light bar
  • Rigid SS cubes for rear back up lights
  • PIAA LP 530 Fog replace (yellow)
  • 20” rigid light bar in the LR push bar

Future
  • SPOD or better light controller than my cheapy wireless one

Body

• Green Lane Off Road Side steps
  • Tepui Auntanna Ruggidized Tent
  • Tepui 6’ Awning
  • Shovel and Axe Mount
  • Maxtrax tracks (x4) hidden under the RTT
  • LR Snorkel

Coming Soon (October)
  • Front Bumper
  • Warn 10-S Winch
  • Rear bumper dual swings for spare and jerry cans

Engine Bay
  • ARB twin compressor

Solar
  • Off Grid Trek 120W solar panel
  • Off Grid Trek 28W Solar panel

Last edited:

colb45

Observer
Trip we recently did down the Oregon Coast. Slowly getting the truck dialled in after every trip... project list continues

DSC_4332.JPG

All set up

DSC_4635.JPG

Drifta drawer system + ARB Element & slide

DSC_4670.JPG

Next on the hit list is to get the ARB twin compressor bracket fabricated, then finish off the install. Winter project will be the 2nd row seating storage area.

colb45

Observer
Finally after 2 or so years of planning and trying to figure out a bumper route. Bit the bullet and had one made. Front middles will be an additional set of fogs, had to create an access for bolting everything on. Next is rear bumper, with a tire carrier, dual jerry can holder and few other bits.

LR Bumper Build 1.JPG

LR Bumper Build 2.JPG

LR Bumper Build 3.JPG

eloist

Adventurer
Great build! Not sure how I've missed this thread until now.

Are you still on EAS?

Who is the company who built that bumper for you? Looks similar to the TR but winch access seems much easier.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

colb45

Observer
Great build! Not sure how I've missed this thread until now.

Are you still on EAS?

Who is the company who built that bumper for you? Looks similar to the TR but winch access seems much easier.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Still on EAS, the ARB dual is for other duties.

Company is base out of Canada, I did use the TR as insipration. Biggest challenge was stuffing away that zeon 10, keeping approach angles and easy of using the winch as well was a big ticket. By product of it was the quad fogs, needed access for hands to get in to bolt to the frame.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Also opted for no sensors with new bumpers by ARB and Tach4X. I don't have the beep but the light flashes only when going back but I just push the button to off it.

colb45

Observer
Also opted for no sensors with new bumpers by ARB and Tach4X. I don't have the beep but the light flashes only when going back but I just push the button to off it.
IID Tool just programmed them out. Commited to the no sensor route with the rear bumper project (spare tire carrier and jerry can holder) those would just set it off all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles