Coil spring question

I have 2" Daystar spacers to level out the ride on my '96 1500 4x4. I've added a Warn 15000 to my ARB bumper...mucho weight. I'm concerned that when I reinstall the bumper the added weight will sag the truck back down to stock height. The spacers were originally a cheap/quick way to level the truck, but now I'm thinking new coils are in order. Some of the folks over on Pavement Sucks are using stock 2500 diesel springs to raise the front up to 3"...theoretically this would work with acceptable sag but a stiffer ride. Or...5" rise gasser springs with more sag and a more comfortable ride?

Any experience in this area out there? :sombrero:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
No experience, but some hopefully helpful background:

Particularly with coil spring sprung live axles there are two extremes possible. Can go with a low rate spring that is long or can go with a high rate spring that isn't very long. Both will compress until they have enough force to hold up the front of the truck.

Said differently, it takes a certain amount of spring force to support the front of the truck. Since each inch of spring compression adds another set amount of supporting force the front will settle until the springs supply enough force to reach equilibrium.

Say that one side of your front axle needs 600 lbs. of spring force to support that corner of the truck. If you put a 600 lbs.-in spring in there it will compress 1 inch and what ever the result is, that is the ride height that spring will deliver.
Or say that you put in a 200 lbs.-in spring. That spring will settle 3 inches and give you what ever resulting ride height.

The difference in ride quality between those two springs will be dramatic. The 600 lbs.-in spring will need a 300 lbs input to compress 1/2", but that same input will compress the 200 lbs.-in spring 1-1/2"

The lighter the spring rate, the more supple the ride will be, BUT it will also need much better damping.
I like a good ride quality. I'd only go up in spring rate if it proves too easy to bottom out the suspension.

Good explanation...thanks! I'll try to weigh the bumper and winch (separately) and check on spring availability. I know SkyJacker sells coil sets for different heights...progressives, also. National Spring in the San Diego area does as well. I don't believe Deaver handles Dodge but I could be wrong.

I am also concerned about the ride quality. The solid axle automatically makes it a bit stiffer even for a 1/2-ton and I don't need to make it anymore jarring than need be. The Ranchos I installed have really stiffened up the truck...me no likey. I may throw Bilsteins in there while the front suspension is apart. I need to have all the bushings replaced, ball joints, and a new track bar installed. I can't complain...207k on the odometer with original stock parts. Time for some new stuff. :sombrero: Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles