Coil Over Shocks 3/4" Mount

RagnarD

Adventurer
Thanks for the ideas. I am new to suspension parts and was just looking to increase the payload a bit without going to air bags. After speaking with Monroe, I had the impression the outer metal eye is smaller for the 5/8 mount so I am not sure if a 3/4 ID bushing will fit or if there is enough meat to drill out the 5/8 bushing.

RagnarD

Adventurer
After doing some more searching, it does seem like drilling out bushings is a common practice. With that, I decided to stick with the Monroe Load Adjusting line and make the bushing fit the mount. For some reason Monroe does not make a list of the Load Adjusting shocks with specs readily available but I was eventually able to find it on a dealers website.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/load_chart.pdf

From this, there was three candidates with the same eye mounts on each end and close to the length needed. Studs are 16" apart and would be 13" if trailer is loaded and resting on the bump stops. 58496, 58567, 58486 were the options. All were available on Amazon for $66-73 per set.

Ended up going with 58496, my first choice because the width of the eye is the wider than the L1 mount and the ID is 11/16 (L2 mount). Collapsed 13.00", Ext 21.25, Travel 8.25. Variable spring rate. Not sure how the variable spring compares to the 60lb springs.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/58496

The 11/16 bushing fit on the 12/16 shock mount studs with ease (as hoped) but ran into a slight issue with the top mount. The top of the coil just barely prevents tightening the nut on the mount.

i-Txg6jzC-L.jpg

i-TkhFnMz-L.jpg

Raised the chassis 3/4"

i-L73txH2-L.jpg

So close.....

i-P3pmgXM-L.jpg

i-5xFRSvf-L.jpg

Bottom mount fits well

i-KFrDQC8-L.jpg

Last edited:

RagnarD

Adventurer
Now I need to decide what to do about the top shock mount. Opinions welcome.

Leave it alone and use it as is.

Add a few washers as spacers (top and bottom) between frame and inner bushing.

Grind the spring

Grind the trailer

millerfish

Adventurer
If there is enough stud to make it all the way through the bolt, I would use some spacers and call it done.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Pulled the shocks off to try 3/4" washers and machine spacers. The washers needed trimming to clear the top of the shock so I ended up using the 3 14ga machine spacers per mount. Its hard to see but there is a slight gap between shock and frame now but more importantly, the bushing is more evenly compressed.

Just for reference. The nut for the shock mount is 15/16".

i-Zp6pD4v-L.jpg

i-DDqzxDg-L.jpg

Had to tighten up the bottom nut more than I wanted to get the nut flush with end of mount.

i-dLDHndB-L.jpg

Just a few comparison shots. The original shock was different than the dimensions posted online. It is more of a 12"/19" vs 13"/21"

i-d9WNdgN-L.jpg

i-h5Q53L5-L.jpg

i-KRsVFwb-L.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles