Coffee pot

Phoenix

Adventurer
Big fan of the Kelly Kettle and French Press. On the rare occasions there is any coffee left over, I have a thermos. No good for back packers, but a great way to make several pots of coffee when camping with friends.

Every evening before sunset I walk around and pick up twigs, pine cones, and dried bark. I keep them dry overnight. They go up in a nice flame in the morning to fuel the Kelly Kettle.

Camelfilter

Explorer
...On the rare occasions there is any coffee left over, I have a thermos. No good for back packers...

An easy way to make a lightweight thermos/cozy for backpacking/cycling & such is wrap a nalgene with Reflectex (or similar) aluminum/bubble wrap insulation. Taped up using aluminum ducting tape (as opposed to the fabric duct tape), they can last a very long time.

dms1

Explorer
I dont drink coffee, but my wife does, we have used many of the items mention in this thread but have settled on this GSI filter holder. It collapses and takes hardly any space.

e733a908-f68a-4f85-961e-e915621ddf07.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Use the same. Just need to find a better carafe to brew into. Brewing into individual mugs currently, but means either using 2nd filter or the second drinker gets weak coffee! Need to find something insulated that will fit the chuckbox so I can brew a full "pot" in one go.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I decided that I'm going to take a dive into an aeropress. I finally got tired of getting poked by little wires sticking out of the screen on my french press when I clean it so I passed the glass part and other pieces on to someone else for spares and am about to order my aeropress. I think for now I'm going to just use the paper filters and wait on the S filter for a while since that almost doubles the price.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah I would say wait on the metal :)

but I will say look into the inverted method !!!!! that is the way better way IMHO to do the aeropress

I decided that I'm going to take a dive into an aeropress. I finally got tired of getting poked by little wires sticking out of the screen on my french press when I clean it so I passed the glass part and other pieces on to someone else for spares and am about to order my aeropress. I think for now I'm going to just use the paper filters and wait on the S filter for a while since that almost doubles the price.

briferg

Observer
I dont drink coffee, but my wife does, we have used many of the items mention in this thread but have settled on this GSI filter holder. It collapses and takes hardly any space.

e733a908-f68a-4f85-961e-e915621ddf07.jpg
That is pretty cool! I thought I had seen all of GSI's stuff but that is new to me, like one of those collapsable cups.

briferg

Observer
Use the same. Just need to find a better carafe to brew into. Brewing into individual mugs currently, but means either using 2nd filter or the second drinker gets weak coffee! Need to find something insulated that will fit the chuckbox so I can brew a full "pot" in one go.

This is a interesting point. When I need a bigger vessel I use this - http://www.rei.com/product/874190/esbit-food-jug-1-liter-overstock
This is a great thermos. When I am at home or camping I will boil water and put the excess in the Esbit thermos and after 10 hours the temp will only drop down to about 160 F. You can totally use a thermos to make a big batch of coffee and then it is good for hours!

At night I will take a tray of ice cubes and use the Esbit as a ice bucket and many times I will wake up in the morning and there is still ice in the container. Probably works with other thermos brands but I really like this one.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls

You can totally re-use the paper filters a couple of times. The affect on taste is minimal if not unnoticeable while camping.

Kelly Campbell

That old French Press of mine works for me every time we’re out camping. And I’d like to think that my coffee always tasted good. I suggest you try it.

Vulture

Supporting Sponsor
So here is what I use. I sell the GSI options in our store and have been trying to get a proper HOT cup of coffee. The pour over thing with the GSI Java Drip is cool but that doesn't make the jet fuel I require in the morning so it needed a bit of tweaking. This my current set up, I'll explain...
- First get your 2 cups of water and put it in the Jet Boil.
- Grind beans in GSI Java Mill (not pictured but they really work awesome - adjustable grind and folds up) I put in 5 heaping table spoons of grounds per 2 cups of water.
- Bring water to just under a boil stirring all the while to ensure maximum flavor profile. Don't boil your coffee that is considered bad!
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pop out the GSI Java Drip over your thermos or cup (I just fell in love with these Stanley travel thermos they keep your coffee WAY hot for WAY long).
- Use only 1 natural fiber paper filter (No. 4) and start to pour in your liquid love from the Jet Boil.
- After you get all the coffee liquid through the filter just remove the filter and press the remaining nectar into your cup.

POW a perfect hot cup of premium coffee in the field all with the same gear you can pack in your mess kit! Hope this helps

IMG_5868.jpg

amaes

Couldn't find a coffee thread but thought you guys would think these were pretty cool.

For the last two days I have been working on two pourover coffee stands That are turning out pretty good.

11060467_10206452969033913_7267583267673556309_n.jpg

11009849_10206463358373640_8917256394216099109_n.jpg

11057850_10206463358493643_5553800483759561199_n.jpg

603845_10206474286286831_376767423162243061_n.jpg

10710993_10206474287326857_5160826864314487722_n.jpg

They need some work still. Hoping to have them finished Sunday.

Black Mesa

If you are a backpacker, then my I suggest an Olicamp Space Saver Cup. I just set it down on the coals and boil my water. Also a plus that the handles fold and it nests on the bottom of a 40oz. Klean Kanteen bottle, or 32oz. Nalgene. As far as instant coffee goes I love the Nescafe Colombian. It has good flavor and it won't break the bank. Just my two cents...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier