Coffee pot

inter

Observer
And you can make latte, cappuccino and more using easy mixer – unexpected and unsurpassed result with this device

coffeeCreamMaker.jpg

Adam8100

Choosing a good coffee pot is half the battle to come up with an excellent cup of coffee. I have REI table top french coffee press. The most important thing is that it's built in spout has a fine-mesh screen to filter out the grounds while you pour. Worked for me.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Snowpeak French press:
Snow-Peak-Titanium-Coffee-Press-661.jpg

Ikea frother:

Attachments

• Snow-Peak-Titanium-Coffee-Press-661.jpg
    Snow-Peak-Titanium-Coffee-Press-661.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 82

CRJeepin

Observer
A French press works great for my wife and I. Makes two decent cups at a time. We heat up a big pot of water, make two rounds of coffee and then use the rest of the water to wash faces. Great morning routine!

For bigger groups we have an aluminum percolator that makes about a gallon at a time. It's good but has to perc a long time to get dark enough and then the coffee is too hot to drink for better part of a half hour, even if it's poured out to cups.

That's my .02!

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Aluminum percolator in the truck camper
French press in the Jeep Wrangler with Roof Top Tent
Starbucks VIA on the GS dual sport bike or on the go (as in early departure)
Starbucks if driving by one in the AM.
Not connoisseurs but we like a decent cup ! :coffeedrink:

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
Back to the OP's question, I can confirm that the bialetti moka pots work well on an open fire - just keep your heat low.

IMG_1630.jpg

Grind it fresh (love my hario mini mill) and don't let it boil. That's morning nirvana for me.

IMG_0519.jpg

If you're not into espresso, the pour over / french press options are great and allow you to heat water on the fire. Pull it off and pour just before a rolling boil to avoid a burnt taste.

penguincoder

Observer
For coffee options, I have a few facts and opinions on the matter. First, let's look at what is a known fact:

* Pour overs are a thin-body clear-flavor brew. This is the closest thing to a traditional brew pot that most people have in their homes. This provides a very crisp flavor of the beans with nothing to distract you from the flavor. In much the same way that you open up flavors by putting water into scotch, you can taste other flavors in a pour over.
* French press is a full-body full-flavor brew. This provides a thicker cup of coffee at the expense of the clarity of flavor. When you drink it, the coffee feels more like a heavy beer rather than water. The flavor is still good but it is compromised due to the way the beans sit in the water. It's not a simple filter that absorbs some of the qualities of the bean as it flows over the grind, it's a soaked flavor.
* Aeropress. This should provide a blend of pour over and french press. It will have neither the best body nor the clearest flavor, but this will be a balance between the two.
* Epresso. This is a multi-part result. There are many portable options for producing espresso.
** Moka pots. I have never used one, but this appears to be traditional espresso. If you have the right grind and a low temperature heat source, this should make an authentic espresso pot. This is a great route for someone without any sort of time-budget in the morning.
** Presso. This is a minimalist espresso pot. My wife got one for me for my birthday. This is hard to use, requires a specific espresso grind, and ideally needs to be preheated as much as possible before use. The end result is a double shot of espresso that will be very close to your favorite coffee shop with a product that weighs about 2 pounds. All you need is hot water.
** Mypressi. This is a device that mostly resembles an espresso portafilter, but utilizes a standard c02 cartridge to force hot water through the grind. I have not used one but the reviews are stellar. I am jealous of mypressi operators.

All of the above need a grinder. Probably hand operated. I have no suggestions other than use a burr grinder. Nothing else will do, sorry. Check back after I get a proper overland vehicle and get a few expeditions underway for real recommendations on hand grinders. Also, they are really, really slow to work.

Here is what I think about such things (as an extreme coffee snob):

* Pour overs work, but I prefer the body. It's certainly fine for most people, but I like something a little more complex. It's simple, for a lack of better words. That doesn't make it bad, just "not complicated".
* French press. Please, please, please give me a deep and complex cup of coffee. When nothing else in my brain works at that hour of the day, my olfactory senses are already pushed into overtime which makes my brain wake up a little faster. In my opinion, this is the way to go for non-espresso-ers.
* I know people that swear by Aeropress. I still prefer the french press.
* Presso. If you can't do the grind, you can't do the time. But if you can... It's the cheapest, closest thing to specialty espresso.
* Mypressi. If you have the space, this is your espresso option. Hands down.

Advice for french press:

Please heed this advice as solid observations from someone who has used many different french presses. Do not buy a french press with a fixed piston ring. Use one with a spring and wire mesh. A fixed spring will occasionally 'stick' to the side of the cylinder and then 'jump' and it suddenly loses friction. This causes coffee grinds to enter into the brew and make for a very gritty coffee. From there, lexan is very reliable, but try and preheat it. Glass is the classic and great, but it breaks. Boro-silicate glass is only so good. The metal ones look fantastic, but heat loss will be a genuine issue. Keep them wrapped in some sort of fabric that reduces their atmospheric exposure. A simple towel will do wonders.

In any case, pour in about 205-degree F water (boil, then let sit for 30 seconds), then brew for one minute, stir, brew for three more minutes, then pour the entire measure out. I typically use a vacuum sealed thermos to keep the coffee hot and not over-brewed when you keep it in the press.

How do I know about this?

Stumptown. Go to their website. Watch their HOWTOs on all of their methods. They have studied and studied this stuff. Nobody is better from what I can tell. I have had coffee from Portland to Portland and the only place I go back for thirds (even though I shouldn't) is at Stumptown in the Pearl District in Portland, OR. After you visit there, go to Powell's bookstore. It is bordered on all 4 sides by streets. If you are like me, though, all of the technical books don't fit in the 5 story building with its own parking facility. They are across the street.

I have a lot of answers if you have any questions, please ask.

penguincoder

Observer
And you can make latte, cappuccino and more using easy mixer – unexpected and unsurpassed result with this device

View attachment 173291

Absolutely. I use a Nespresso Aeroccino at home to do the same thing. It's 550W, heats the milk at the same time, and produces a nice milk-consistent foam (i.e. the same milk produces the same foam) with something as simple as a press of a button. I have one of those wand mixers, too -- I just hated having to heat the milk in a pan and then wash the pan. The non-stick pot of the Aeroccino is a breeze and about 5 times faster.

Honu

lost on the mainland
a couple of us on here are into espresso (spressomon) :) nice to see another coffee nut hahahaha and welcome to expo !

myself I have a Elektra A3 for sure a high end machine :)
one of those my beans are within date or not used etc.. not a snob :) just love quality same reason I don't eat stale food won't drink stale coffee :) ahhahaha

I don't consider a moka pot a espresso ? but its got character of it and its a great setup but if someone says it is espresso I am fine with that also used to use it as my camp setup then got the mypressi and never looked back ! and for sure the best portable setup IMHO can pull a shot of a $500 machine every time can pull nicer shots once in a while to its not quite as consistent and grind has to be just so :) kinda like ya said on your other setup its not as forgiving

have a few french press setups also which was my old go to for a cup of coffee

recently bought a aeropress and have to say WOW impressed its no way espresso of course as we know its a cup of coffee but have to say the one thing I like about it over the french press is the grind can be anything been using espresso grind I use in my elektra and its been working great did a few with some mixed grinds and came out great for that alone I think it might be my new camp setup purely cause its easy small no more cartridges to bring should not die out etc..
at home been using that metal screen forgot the company :) for camp will use the paper ! prefer the metal disc much nicer flavor for me
sure if I go out on a longer than 3-4 day trip my mypressi will go along to heck maybe I should get a moka pot again
one thing I hate about the mypressi is the build ? my handles have fallen off and had the leak thing at one point so cartridges have to be changed every day so cost is a touch more to run and afraid its going to die one time and I will be left without my habit :)

my little guy using the Hario
5_13_05.jpg

for grinders http://www.oehandgrinders.com/PHAROS_c_22.html

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/80694

carbon60

Explorer
Someone needs to build a machine that uses my air compressor to make espresso.

At that point, surely the cool factor would lead everyone to think it made the best coffee! :)

briferg

Observer
I like good coffee and I don't think I am a snob - my favorite beans are Joe's Dark from Trader Joe's - not high end. Reasonable price and good to my palate. I splurge every once in a while but I really like these beans and roast for $5 a can. If I am at home I have an electric burr grinder, travelling I sometimes grind ahead. I also have a Hario Hand Crank Grinder if I really need fresh ground on the road.

Hario_grinder.jpg

That said I saw the Aeropress for the first time on a overlanding/camping blog. After I got one, I use it everyday, I now have 2, one at work and one at home. They are less than $30 bucks and after a while you tweak the directions to fit your tastes. I use it more like a drip/reverse french press. I am an Americano strength coffee drinker but you can get an espresso strength if you use less water. I love it and it is perfect for travel of any kind and my coffee brewing habits don't change at all.

aero_press.jpg

Great video by a fan showing the Aeropress in action. He is a fimmaker I like, not an ad per se. More like an un-commissioned ad.

[video]http://vimeo.com/sandwichvideo/aeropress[/video]

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
nice little video of the aero :)

for fun try the inverted method there is even a APP with a bunch of brew time recipes etc.. :) hahaha kinda fun
alos that metal disc from the same guy that makes the KONE is pretty nice and brings in a bit more flavor and its still a super clean cup :)

so first 4 days camping with my aeropress is past

makes a great cup of coffee I can make it quite strong and I don't add anymore water just leave it strong :)
I do the inverted thing about 28g and 1min to 1 min 30 sec steep or whatever its called time playing around still preferring the 1 min thing kinda with finer grind

I have the metal disc but used the paper for camp easier clean up push it into the garbage wipe with paper towel quick hit on the water once done
clean up is nice in the sense not a lot of water needed but the disc clean up is so simple might just keep using it camping

coming back home my first thing walk in the door fire up my elektra and wait a hour for warm up :)

so I am wondering about trying the GSI drip ? purely cause I am on a get smaller and again I don't mind a good cup of coffee but I love my espresso and cold mornings that shot is gone so the bit more hot drink is kinda nice to walk around wake up with
the drip also do my coffee then the wifes coffee would be nice to sit down together and do it once pull out the grounds and throw away good pour over done proper would be about 3 minutes the aero is about the same time but more hassle
for how cheap it is I am going to try the GSI drip

almost debating about making coffee the one larger pack thing even though I am going for more compact and just bring the mypressi and the aeropress and the drip when I get it see what I feel like in the AM ;)

for me the aeropress also after owning a bit and using it about twice a day and messing with the grind a bit and have to say again the one reason its so nice is any grind works the metal filter is a nicer cup than the paper

I have to say for easy clean up and good cup the aeropress is a keeper maybe when I go on BLM when I have to bring all my own water I will try the drip when I go to places where I can get water to clean the mypressi for the second shot and wake up with the aeropress

if I was to recommend one thing at this point the aeropress !
easy clean up use very little water
no worries about the grind
nothing to break really
varied taste from strong to mild

briferg

Observer
I have seen the inverted method, it makes sense. After I saw that demo I started putting a bit more grounds in the regular way, stir it with paddle and just let it drip into my big mug. When it is mostly dripped through I add more hot water stir again and then after 30 or so seconds I do the press. So it isn't espresso but not exactly Americano either. It is a big Nissan Thermos mug, must be 20 oz. I have been doing it so long I just evolved my own method I guess.

I have the metal screen also. I usually take it on business trips when I don't want to deal with the paper. I think the one shot push-cleaning with paper is simple so I usually go with that. It is just my favorite way to make coffee anywhere. Considering what you can spend on java paraphernalia, it is really simple. The only difference with grinds is how fast it drips through in my modified drip/press method. I have a $300 Nespresso and I hardly use it.

I agree it is very versatile, and you can just make up your own process after you get the basics down. Have you ever seen the press coverage on the Clover that Starbucks ended up buying? It is a $20K drip coffee maker, they have them in select Starbucks now. When it comes down to it, it isn't much more than a very computer controlled Aeropress. With all of those recipes programmed in.

Honu

lost on the mainland
never saw that clover before :) interesting wonder if you brought in your own beans and said I don't like yours :) hahahahahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior