Cobra 75 WX ST

CCPAJeeper

Observer
Anyone having issues with the Cobra 75 WX ST compact? I have one, it is about 3 years old, bought new. I have intermittent reception issues. Used an SWF meter when I initially installed it, got the antenna tuned in. I double checked all antenna connections. I am using a 4 foot fire stick, with fender mount. Control box mounted under driver's seat. A week ago I had used the radio for a 6 hour trip my sons and I took. Toward the end of the trip, I could not hear his transmissions, at all. He was directly behind me. I thought maybe it was an environmental issue, frequency interference from electrical lines or the like. But we drove the last 15 miles of the trip and the clarity of the incoming transmissions was terrible. I could hear them, but just garbled and incoherent.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Mine does the same thing, kinda. Reception is clear as a bell, transmission is weak and with range being maybe a couple hundred feet behind or in front. Looking for ideas too.

I will say that the speaker in the mike is known to fail over time. You have to send it back to Cobra and the repair runs 40-50 bucks. I have gone to an external speaker for mine which works way better.

Looking for advice myself.

Klierslc

Explorer
It has been awhile since I had one but I seem to remember that they eventually tend to fail due to high heat in the car compromising connections.

CCPAJeeper

Observer
Guys,

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I had previously checked the grounds, both antenna and radio. Tried to get it working today, I live right by a major highway with lots of truck traffic. In the past, I always had several replies for "radio Check" transmissions. Nothing today. I do not think I am transmitting, at all.
I have had good luck with Uniden radios in the past. So I ordered a CMX 550. Read good reviews on that radio. So will give that one a try.
Once I get it hooked up, I will comment on the operation.
Thanks again for the input.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I had one die. Probably heat related... was working great and then I got a faint whiff of the blue smoke. Smell coming from the handset. Display worked, but no speaker. I bought another mostly because I just needed the handheld unit, but if it happens again I'll change to midland.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I had one die. Probably heat related... was working great and then I got a faint whiff of the blue smoke. Smell coming from the handset. Display worked, but no speaker. I bought another mostly because I just needed the handheld unit, but if it happens again I'll change to midland.
Very common problem with these units. I just installed an external speaker and it sounds better too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you're looking for an inexpensive all-in-handset unit you could also consider the Midland 75-822.
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-8...ywords=midland+75-822+handheld+cb+radio&psc=1
This is primarily a hand-held unit that comes with a factory 'pigtail' adapter (that replaces the slide-in battery compartment) with a 12v plug and a PL-259 connector so you can connect to an external antenna.
B00000K2YR-2.jpg

B00000K2YR-1.jpg
I've been using one of these since 2007 and it's always worked fine for me. Like the Cobra it has WX channel and a scan ability.
Not great, perhaps, but not terrible either. With a decent antenna it's got pretty good range and what I like best about it is that it doesn't require any sort of installation. Just slide the mobile adapter on, plug it into a 12v outlet and a mag-mount antenna and I'm ready to go.
IMO it's as good as a CB needs to be and at under $100 it's reasonably priced. If I need better comms ability I'll use a Ham radio (I have a Yaesu dual-band HT.)

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I had 3 of these compact Cobras fail on me before I finally gave up on them...I know! I know! I'm a slow learner.

Back to a full size...I've a Cobra 148GTL that's 40 years old, and an ancient Cobra 29. Both still work as well as ever.

dstock

Explorer
I ditched my Cobra 75 as well, despite good SWR overall performance wasn't great and seemed to get worse over time. I switched back to an old full size Uniden which works great. I may replace it one day with the new CMX 550 as well, but no real need to do so at this point. I've added a the Midland MXT115 GMRS to the mix and that's mostly what I use with my buddies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles