coastal CA loop, Nov 2010

suntinez

Explorer
Sequoia NP and (not) Mineral King

I was supposed to meet someone near Yosemite and go back to the coast, but that didn't work out so I headed to Sequoia NP instead. I wanted to check out Mineral King in the southern end of the park.

In the 1960s Disney had eyed this isolated southern Sierra Nevada valley for a massive ski resort. The proposal set off a battle that led to Mineral King's annexation to Sequoia NP. Despite national park status, the area was managed as a potential wilderness but without guarantee it would be protected. Then in the spring of 2009, Congress designated 2 million more acres, including Mineral King, as forever off limits to development. The pictures I've seen are stunning and I wanted to see it and check out the old buildings. This is from the Mineral King website:

MK%231.jpg

Mineral King road with Timber Gap in the distance (photo by Sharon Devol)
Endurance-L.jpg

But the road had closed just a few days before on Nov 1, drat! Guess I'll try again in the spring.
SNP1.jpg

I showed my annual pass and headed into the park, snow was falling in upper elevations but I have BFG ATs on the Tiger and wasn't worried. Besides, the Kings Hwy (198) is a really fun road, and there were a couple CGs on the way up towards Kings Canyon. This is the Kaweah river:
8kaweahriver.jpg

8aDSC_0374.jpg

Just past here they had the road closed, with 2 hour delays to pass for road construction and length restrictions. That's never a problem for Tiger at 16 ft long, so we waited, then passed, then came up to snow on the ground. Had snow tires on, but they changed the chain requirements from R1 to R2 while enroute and turned us around at an inspection station. :(

After waiting for the next road opening to head back down the day was shot, so we found a spot in the park for the night. It was getting chilly so I bundled Pepper up while I read.
8cDSC_0407.jpg

In the morning a couple visitors came through the CG, obviously a little too acclimated to humans. This one came right up to the cracked window in the back of Tiger and tried to stick her head through the window. Ripped the screen with Pepper going nuts, it wasn't pretty. And then hung around like nothing had happened.

8dDSC_0498.jpg

Her buddy ignored the whole incident, really glad he didn't stick his head in!
8eDSC_0552.jpg

I was definitely bombing out in Sequoia NP, so we headed home. I took 65 instead of 99 south, then onto 58 past Tehachapi, passing these windmills along the way.
9DSC_0595.jpg

So it turned out not to be a coastal CA loop after all, but I saw a lot of new things. I'll definitely give Mineral King another try when the road re-opens, just east of that glacial valley is Mt Whitney on the other side of the Sierras.

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
Very cool report - you drove through my neck of the woods... Next time you're headed up Hwy 9, stop at the Tyrolean Inn in Ben Lomond - excellent German food!

Will do, thanks for the tip. You're lucky to live in those parts, wow!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Will do, thanks for the tip. You're lucky to live in those parts, wow!

It definitely has its advantages and disadvantages - My commute into San Jose is about 1hr in the truck or 40min in the Audi. We lose power a few times a winter and our fire department is all volunteer so the response time is slow (Henflings Tavern, right next door to the fire station, has burned down twice). But it also snows on me sometimes and I get to let my dog run free and see cool fungi. But that's enough of a hijack of your wonderful trip report!:

suntinez

Explorer
Not a highjack at all! I was wondering what those commute times were like. I bet most of that time is spent in traffic down "there".

I live in a small mountain town too and we also have fires and lose power all the time. Everyone here owns a generator, and a snowblower :) But my dog loves it and we get lots of wildlife here, so the trip down the hill is worth it.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Wonderful report! My wife and I are planning on heading up that way between Christmas and New Year. You've given me some great ideas for our trip! Thank you.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Linda,

Nice report. Your bird is a Cormorant, not sure which one.

ywen

Explorer
awesome trip report. I especially loved the image painted by these words

No clouds made for some great star viewing, the milky way was out in full force and lots of shooting stars. Around 3AM the winds really kicked in and Pepper and I both wake up, but right back to sleep listening to the ocean waves. The mist burns off quickly in the morning.

we did part our honeymoon in Big Sur and stayed in a cabin 100ft away from the Big Sur river.. and it was sublime. I truly need to move out to Nor Cal.

15440982415384553220104.jpg

15440982415379563220104.jpg

15440982415369583220104.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
Al, you're right. They sure look different than the Assateague version though.

ywen, thanks. Your pics do a nice job capturing the feel of the forest.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Late to the party as always... i love this area and need to head further north of Kirk Creek /Big Sur area. We always seem to stop at that point. Thanks for sharing Linda!

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Great pics and report. You have a bit of dust on your camera sensor. I just got back from Montana De Oro and was contemplating Kirk Creek. Glad I didn't since we only got to MDO around noon. Kirk is definitely on the list now after seeing your thread here.

tmartin

Ca loop

Great report. Loved the pics and the descriptions. I spent some time in northern CA as a child and now need to plan a trip up there with my kiddo's.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Awesome pics!
I wanted to camp Kirk Creek in October, but it seemed to be closed due to road repair of HWY 1. Do you know anything about this?
Thanks for sharing that the best campsites are walk-in....

suntinez

Explorer
Awesome pics!
I wanted to camp Kirk Creek in October, but it seemed to be closed due to road repair of HWY 1. Do you know anything about this?
Thanks for sharing that the best campsites are walk-in....

Hwy 1 was under construction a bit north of Kirk Creek when I was there, near the tiny town of Lucia (closest phone to the CG) maybe 6 miles away . Two spots where full lane closure makes you stop and wait for oncoming traffic before proceeding. But you can still get through, CA road closure info is here.

It could be that this work was closer to KC in Oct, not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke