Coast to Coast to Coast, getting ready!!!!!

I've never before posted something like this and I'm excited to become a contributing member to this board which I so much enjoy. I have finalized negotiations with a forum member and will be purchasing his 2018 Landcruiser 200 Series. Super nice gentleman and I'm honored to be purchasing his vehicle. On the 19th of November, this month, I will be traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to Eugene, OR to retrieve my new chariot. For anyone that knows me, I have always been fascinated with all things LC. I have owned several and still do. I purchased my very first LC when I was 18 yrs old, it was a 1973 FJ40. Since purchasing that very first LC I have always been fond of the FJ45 above most others. While I have owned many the FJ80 and the FJ45 vehicles have been my favorites. I recently built my own off road camp trailer and enjoy climate control and standing height. There isn't much I enjoy more than spending time outdoors cooking with friends and seeing new places. Earlier this year (3) friends and myself completed the Georgia Traverse over the course of (8) days and had an absolute blast. So many awesome waterfalls, lakes and isolated camping spots, it was truly awesome. As I prepare to finish out my 45th year of life I think it's time to celebrate my hobby in a bit more comfort. I have never minded epic journeys in a leaf sprung Hilux or LC but the type of travelling I enjoy now does not typically require such a rugged vehicle. Trey mtn. was conquered in a 1983 Hilux on 31" tires, open diffs and no winch. Never needed a pull and never skipped a beat. So it is with great excitement that I begin my Coast to Coast journey in my new 200 Series LC. At this point I will attach pictures of my LC vehicles and when I shake hands with the gentleman passing the baton I will begin a photo contribution to this thread. If there is anyone along the way that wants to meet up for a meal or a bit of off-road please message me. The plan is for my wife and I to pick up the new 200 on the 19th at around noon and head west to the coast where we will take some pictures and grab the 101 S. to Florence. The Redwoods, Santa Cruz, Monterey/Carmel, Big Sur, San luis Obispo, Pismo, Avilla etc. Somewhere above LA we will head east to Las Vegas and then on to Sedona where we plan to spend a couple days doing Schnebly Hill and Oak Creek canyon. 89A to Flagstaff and on to Santa Fe, NM. When we reach Santa Fe we will move east and fill in our trip based on weather. Because we are flying to Eugene we won't be able to pack a lot of camping gear so we may purchase some along the way? If anyone has some gear for sale along the mentioned route Please chime in. If anyone has a couple clean used sleeping bags that they would like to donate I'd be happy to gift them to a traveler in need upon the completion of this trip. This goes for any camping goodies that may be useful and that are currently collecting dust because they have been replaced. I have traveled a lot and typically need very little so I think it might be kinda cool to have a page where travelers can replace damaged goods along their journey and in kind gift them to another traveler when their journey is complete. Any must sees along the route mentioned are welcome and if anyone wants to meet for beers or dinner please contribute. No real plans and 15 days to do this trip, I do hope to meet some new friends along the way, L.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4012.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4012.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 60
  • thumbnail_IMG_2696.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2696.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • thumbnail_IMG_3336.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3336.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 55
  • thumbnail_IMG_4790.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4790.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 60
  • thumbnail_IMG_2478.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2478.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 200 series.JPG
    200 series.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

kpredator

Adventurer
Congrats on the purchase of your rig!!
When you are in California don’t miss
The sequoia trees. Absolutely incredible.
Around Vegas visit the valley of ? fire.
If you have never been to utah
Visit the national parks in the south!!
Have fun with your rig and trip
Kp

Congrats on the purchase of your rig!!
When you are in California don’t miss
The sequoia trees. Absolutely incredible.
Around Vegas visit the valley of ? fire.
If you have never been to utah
Visit the national parks in the south!!
Have fun with your rig and trip
Kp

Yes, this is on the list. Thank you.

Ship some of your gear to Eugene, in advance.

Considered this option but as I'm less than 10 days from travel it would be a herculean effort and in the event there were any delays I would be purchasing gear along the way now matter what. Such is life and such is adventure. Great idea and in no way do I discount the sense it makes. I have often shipped stuff to hotels just so I don't have to check bags or travel with anything other than a small carry-on. Thank you for your contribution, L.

VA-CMac

While you're sitting out toiling over logistics, I'm sitting here turning shades of green.

Enjoy your trip... return safely.

I have sold tan long bed, silver short bed and gold LX450. I have a couple others that I will build eventually but I’m ready to take a break and travel. Thank you for your contribution.

Rick S_234

Talk about green with Envy - and congrats on the purchase - I'm going to miss it dearly - but like I said in negotiations, it is going to a good home and a good person, and an awesome adventure getting there - The oil is changed, the 3rd row seat is installed, and it's more ready than I am. Leroy, you will need a 18mm wrench to remove the jack from the spare, and it wouldn't hurt to have a 13/16" socket for the locker lug key on the spare - the factory lug wrench fits it, its just not that tight. I can put a couple of cam-straps in the back if you could use those. Keep in mind our daylight here, or lack thereof, its dark before 5pm.

Talk about green with Envy - and congrats on the purchase - I'm going to miss it dearly - but like I said in negotiations, it is going to a good home and a good person, and an awesome adventure getting there - The oil is changed, the 3rd row seat is installed, and it's more ready than I am. Leroy, you will need a 18mm wrench to remove the jack from the spare, and it wouldn't hurt to have a 13/16" socket for the locker lug key on the spare - the factory lug wrench fits it, its just not that tight. I can put a couple of cam-straps in the back if you could use those. Keep in mind our daylight here, or lack thereof, its dark before 5pm.

Rick,

Thank you to no end. The cam-straps will be greatly appreciated. I plan on purchasing a simple but complete tool kit for the journey home. I didn't want to offer up your identity in my initial post because I didn't have your approval at the time of writing. Rick, you have been a consummate gentleman and absolute provider of comfort through this negotiation and subsequent purchase, thank you. I recognize the trepidation in parting with your creation and wish complete satisfaction with your future build and travels. Are we ever prepared to let our children go? We are not and yet they too generate pride as we witness the lift beneath their wings upon flight. Thank you for a smooth and peaceful transaction thus far, I have zero doubt about the final execution on the 19th.

So, decided to visit the beach where we live as a beginning. Technically we will be going coast to coast to coast, LOL. We are literally only planned through Sedona, AZ so from AZ east we are welcoming recommendations. Mama is starting to get into the Yurt Glamping idea, what a great participant.

Attachments

• 200 series start.jpg
    200 series start.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 60
Wisdom from my father,

"Son, Life must include (3) crucial elements for success. Time, health and money. Relationships take time, consider your relationship your overland vehicle. Time is the fuel for your vehicle and without fuel you are at an absolute standstill, this includes the relationship you have with yourself. Health is also required to celebrate the outer edges of any relationship. Money, well it's a given that there is no romance without finance. The issue son is that often times you can only pick two of the three at any given time. When we are young we have Time and health but lack the finances to do what our heart desires. When we are in the middle of our lives we have both health and money but we lack time because we are actively making the money. In our dotage we have time once again and we have money but now our health, undoubtedly, is not what it was in our youth. Work hard son, work hard for the things you most desire and always ensure that money is simply a byproduct of what you love. Work hard to capture that middle portion of your life where you have sufficient finances, good health and make the time to see the world. Once upon a time a man woke from a deep sleep to find himself walking along a dirt road. Confused, he walked some distance passing homes and eventually came to a town. As the miles passed the man never came across another person. Nowhere was anyone to be found, not in the homes passed, not in the businesses and not on the road. Nobody. About an hour out of town the man saw another person in the distance, also walking. Excited, the man sped up and when the other person was about 100yds away he noticed that the person was carrying a suitcase. The man decided that he must know where he was going and hoped that he could join them. When he was close enough to speak he said hello and asked where the person was going. The person responded, "I'm here to take you with me, you died". "What do you mean I died?" "You died and I'm here to take you". "What about my wife and children"? "They were a gift, yours to enjoy as long as you took care of them". "What about my friends"? "They were also a gift". What about my stuff"? "Your stuff belongs to the earth and to the earth it shall return". "What about my job"? "Your job belongs to circumstance". Well then, what am I taking with me"? "Everything you need is in this suitcase, there is nothing more". "What's in the suitcase"? "YOUR MEMORIES, THAT"S ALL YOU TAKE WITH YOU".

"Son, I've watched many people pass and I've never heard a single person mention their desire for another shift". "There is nothing more expensive than regret, no amount of money can buy back what you've let slip away". "Son, maintenance is so much less expensive than repair". "I'm talking about your marriage, your children, your home, your vehicle and your health".

Tomorrow morning we board a plane and embrace the experience, whatever it may be. I look forward to posting pictures and thoughts of the progress along the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles