CO2 powertank testing

TheRoadie

Explorer
Bought mine used, and was just told that on the NEXT refill it would need testing. But my wife brought it in to the gas store in San Marcos, and didn't ask them if they did it or how much.

Experiences? Cost? Local or send-away?

TheMike

Adventurer
More than likely it will need to be hydro-tested and have the tank internals visually inspected. It's a 5 year requirement and shouldn't cost more than about $15. There's a date stamped in the neck of the tank that shows the current expiration. You don't have to have it done by a CO2 fill station as all compressed gas tanks are required these tests so call around. SCUBA shops, fire extinguisher fill stations, welding supply shops etc.

Hope that helps!

airlaird

Yes, it will need testing after 5 years. I had mine done last month locally here in Dallas and it was 13 bucks.
airlaird

bat

Explorer
When I get my tank filled I just exchange it for a ready filled tank from AIRGAS AT $22.00 and the tank is already tested. I don't have one those fancy painted ones but it gets the job one.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
bat said:
When I get my tank filled I just exchange it for a ready filled tank from AIRGAS AT $22.00 and the tank is already tested. I don't have one those fancy painted ones but it gets the job one.
X2 $20 for 15# here.
If you are really worried about looks a $1.80 can of Krylon will dress up an exchange tank. I happen to have a case of Krylon hunter green on hand at all time for touch up on the FJ40.
DSCN0726.jpg

rusty_tlc

Explorer
hoser said:
Looks very much like the oxygen tanks we have at work ;)
i thought of that right after I painted the tank. NBD I have a bunch of Black Epoxy Appliance paint on hand too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94