CO may have just shut down many Expedition Truck builders

gungriffin

Does Montana allow for military vehicle registration? If so, it sounds like we will be seeing more Montana registered military vehicles in Colorado.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I agree pretty much with what you’re saying about the impact of left coast transplants to Colorado. I saw the same thing in Oregon, Idaho and, Montana when I lived there.

I attended way too many public forums and meetings, etc., in those states where brand new residents stood up and introduced insane proposals by starting off with, “Well, when we lived in California, we did it this way...”

But...Lord help us if our only choices of lifestyles is going to be picking between Californication or either Mississippification!

etc., etc., etc....

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Does Montana allow for military vehicle registration? If so, it sounds like we will be seeing more Montana registered military vehicles in Colorado.

Well maybe not, because other states...including Colorado....who’ve been losing out on that extra vehicle registration money have been cracking down on those fraudulent LLC vehicle registrations from out of state residents, and in some cases even have been charging the out of state registrants criminally with felony fraud or tax evasion.

In fact, in California the state Highway Patrol maintains a special website for people to use to rat on neighbors and report vehicles with Montana or other out-of-state plates. Other states are said to have inspectors check out RV repair shops to search for vehicles with Montana plates. And some others reportedly even are checking RV storage lot for vehicles with Montana plates.

Last edited:

gungriffin

Well maybe not, because other states who’ve been losing out on that extra vehicle registration money have been cracking down on those fraudulent LLC vehicle registrations from out of state residents, and in some cases even have been charging the out of state registrants criminally with felony fraud.

I have seen that Georgia was. Are other states following suit?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I have seen that Georgia was. Are other states following suit?

That’s a very good question to look onto.

Here’s some information from some online articles on this subject:

...quit a few states are actively cracking down on this use of Montana LLC playing. California, Colorado, North Dakota, Texas Oklahoma, Minnesota, Massachusetts and Connecticut are just a few doing this. And Washington State has passed a law that says anyone found living in the state and using a Montana LLC will be subject to a 60 percent (registration?) penalty, plus interest...

From another:

“Interestingly, even the websites of the companies that promote this scamscheme hint that what you are doing is illegal: ‘Sales tax is generally due in the state of registration. Your vehicles will be registered in Montana which has no sales tax. You will need to understand and comply with use tax laws in the states where the vehicles are located.’ *Wink, Wink!*

‘Do you plan on insuring your vehicle? You have a choice: Tell the insurance company the truth (“I live in Michigan, drive the vehicle almost exclusively in Michigan, store it and park it in Michigan, but have Montana plates on it in the name of a sham LLC.”) If you tell them the truth, will they insure the car?

Or you could tell them anything other than the previous parenthetical sentence, which would be a lie.
You might never get in an accident. But if you do, that Montana plate will pop up. Like, in the police report. And an insurance adjuster, scrutinizing your claim might wonder what false statements you made on your insurance application. False statements which form the basis of the denial letter you will receive shortly in the mail.’

Last edited:

Alwyn Wallace

I'm really sorry to hear this folk's.

So, am I right in understanding that any vehicle that has been previously registered as a military vehicle in the past, even if it is now registered as a civilian vehicle can not come into the USA and be registered in CO as well as many other States as an on the road vehicle.

I would appreciate your help understanding this matter because, I'm about to embark on a new project to get more overland suitable trucks (Pre 95 Mercedes Benz) out of Europe and to the USA.

This will entail us streamlining the process for the US buyer by acting as a broker to break down the barriers that one normally comes up against when working the Europeans EI: Language, Cultures, Distance, Time and most importantly Bureaucracy.

As you can imagine this will have a massive effect on whether this project gets off the ground so any help is grateful. I am also happy to discuss this project at greater length if people want to do so but feel it would only be fair to start another thread rather than hi-jacking this one.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Alwyn

Coachgeo

Explorer

So, am I right in understanding that any vehicle that has been previously registered as a military vehicle in the past, even if it is now registered as a civilian vehicle can not come into the USA and be registered in CO as well as many other States as an on the road vehicle.

I would appreciate your help understanding this matter because, I'm about to embark on a new project to get more overland suitable trucks (Pre 95 Mercedes Benz) out of Europe and to the USA.

This will entail us streamlining the process for the US buyer by acting as a broker to break down the barriers that one normally comes up against when working the Europeans EI: Language, Cultures, Distance, Time and most importantly Bureaucracy.

As you can imagine this will have a massive effect on whether this project gets off the ground so any help is grateful. I am also happy to discuss this project at greater length if people want to do so but feel it would only be fair to start another thread rather than hi-jacking this one.

Alwyn
has nothing to do with importing...... only affects register/titling as on road vehicle in CO. IF you do not live in CO and your state has not taken up such matters..... (or are considering so) then your fine. If your looking at a business venture..... then before you bring them here... have them titled and papered in that country as anything but agricultural or govt. use? before shipping to here and again you should be fine. If your extra worried.. paint it baby blue or pink first lol

Last edited:

Alwyn Wallace

has nothing to do with importing...... only affects register/titling as on road vehicle in CO. IF you do not live in CO and your state has not taken up such matters..... (or are considering so) then your fine. If your looking at a business venture..... then before you bring them here... have them titled and papered in that country as anything but agricultural or govt. use? before shipping to here and again you should be fine. If your extra worried.. paint it baby blue or pink first lol

Coachgeo Thank you for you reply.

I would be looking to register them as civilian vehicles (or if I can motorhomes) prior to shipping them.

Thanks again,

Alwyn

billiebob

Alwyn
Check with auto collectors, auction houses, this same thing affects those collecting and importing old cars. Some of it is driven by safety and emissions but most of it is driven by avoiding your state taxes. And on a $1M Ferarri, that sales tax is substantial. But the law to catch the guy with a million dollar Ferarri is the same used to catch you with $5K Unimog.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Check with auto collectors, auction houses, this same thing affects those collecting and importing old cars. Some of it is driven by safety and emissions but most of it is driven by avoiding your state taxes. And on a $1M Ferarri, that sales tax is substantial. But the law to catch the guy with a million dollar Ferarri is the same used to catch you with $5K Unimog.

Funny you mentioned Ferrari, as that interestingly enough was one of the expensive cars specifically mentioned in the some of licensing scheme crackdown posts and articles.

and:

Last edited:

shade

Funny you mentioned Ferrari as that interestingly enough one one of the expensive cars mentioned in the some of licensing scheme crackdown posts and articles.

and:
I could only watch half of that video before condemning the car dealer as an apologist for wealthy people that knew exactly what they were doing. Maybe I got it wrong, though.

dedolomalo

CO just re wrote legislation that now means any vehicle they build based on an ex-military truck; from any country, can NOT be titled nor registered in CO. The rewritten law includes Military vehicles from other countries as well

Rob Pickering, Jay Couch, and Coldwar Remarketing whom are all in CO and they builds off MB's Unimogs and FMTV's or sell them to build off of.

CO just re wrote legislation that now means any vehicle they build based on an ex-military truck; from any country, can NOT be titled nor registered in CO. The rewritten law includes Military vehicles from other countries as well

Rob Pickering, Jay Couch, and Coldwar Remarketing whom are all in CO and they builds off MB's Unimogs and FMTV's or sell them to build off of.

Not sure how they would enforce this as many foreign vehicles were commercial and military. This covers trucks and Unimogs, etc. I wasn't asked anything when I registered mine...1989 MB 917af that was imported from Germany last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz