CO may have just shut down many Expedition Truck builders

Coachgeo

Explorer

Coachgeo

Explorer
Until now, you couldn't title a US Military vehicle in Colorado. Now you can. This is bad?

Colorado Introduces Bill to Allow Military Vehicle Titling
The original legislation; that these changes reversed, allowed you to title/register military vehicles for ON THE ROAD use.... It had only been in force for a couple years; if I understand it right. During that time you could do it. This legislation re-write... apparently seems to "again" disallow them; based on what you say. New changes will still allow them to get registered/titled; but OFF ROAD ONLY.. aka... they get registered/title similar to an ATV :mad:

Honestly though not sure that you could not get them in CO cause there are companies in CO that build expedition trucks based on Military truck chassis.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Reading through the SS thread now....this reeks of the same BS that was pulled off about a decade ago, and was fought successfully. Fed level stuff though, but I guess CO and other states see an opportunity here too.

billiebob

Military vehicles have always been exempt of safety and emissions regulations which is what is driving the legislation. I have no doubt there have been fatalities and the investigation determined that lack of passenger vehicle safety equipment/design caused the fatal injuries.

But the new law states..

"These changes do not apply to military vehicles that are valued for historical purposes."

So not all bad.

Last edited:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Texas has banned kit cars like dune buggys and the Meyers Manx. Texas is keeping up with everyone else.

I think there’s a big difference between a kit car and one built by a manufacturer. Texas has one of the best Former Military Vehicle laws in the country and while I can empathize with the kit car/sandrail group losing their ability to register their vehicles we’re a long way from that happening to MVs. Plus we have the benefit of our legislators only meeting every two years.

billiebob

Wonder how they will apply a ban to surplus vehicles already registered ?
The ban in Texas on kit cars applies to new registrations ... So if you only register for 6 months, you are letting the registration lapse and will not be able to renew.

But the law is written to refuse renewal for current registrations over time.

This applys to everything from hot rods to dune buggys.

Last edited:

billiebob

Does the legislation prohibit manufacturing & upfitting ?
You know it is coming.
At the very least you will need to be a licensed, registered upfitter.
The, buy a lift and install it yer driveway is going to be out lawed eventually.
And that will be driven by a few high profile accidents and an investigation revealing the lift destabilized the vehicle.
Or determines the idiot doing the install failed to follow the instructions.

Last edited:

billiebob

we’re a long way from that happening to MVs.
I think the historic military vehicle exemption will always exist. But they will need to stick to the "historic" definition which often includes original interior, driveline, engine, tires. And may include restrictions on use.

In BC collector cars plates/insurance is 80% less than regular insurance/registration. But the car must be 100% accurate, including wheels, interior, engine. And it cannot be used to drive to work. You can add seatbelts, and change tires but the tires must be "size" correct.

A "collector" CJ2 cannot run 30x9.50 rubber.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
And may include restrictions on use.

In BC collector cars plates/insurance is 80% less than regular insurance/registration. But the car must be 100% accurate, including wheels, interior, engine. And it cannot be used to drive to work. You can add seatbelts, and change tires but the tires must be "size" correct.
In Colorado there are two possibilities. If it's a collector the limit is 4,500 miles annually but is otherwise basically treated as any other car of that vintage. Must pass an emissions test for example. A historical vehicle (what is called a horseless carriage) can only be driven on roads to and from events like parades and is also limited to 4,500 miles annually. Those can't technically be driven as general use although I doubt that is strictly enforced.

Coachgeo

Explorer
In Colorado there are two possibilities. If it's a collector the limit is 4,500 miles annually but is otherwise basically treated as any other car of that vintage. Must pass an emissions test for example. A historical vehicle (what is called a horseless carriage) can only be driven on roads to and from events like parades and is also limited to 4,500 miles annually. Those can't technically be driven as general use although I doubt that is strictly enforced.
that was a part of how the rules read in the past. problem is the definitions are being changed so that various vehicles are now falling under rules they use not to fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles