Clutch & Gearbox woes

Saratoga

Adventurer
Sooo

The thrust bearing on the clutch is noisy first thing in the morning, or when I start driving after it's been sat a while. I try and minimise where it would be an issue, but it's still quite noisy and is getting more and more frequent. Noisy when the clutch is pressed in and holding the clutch plates off as it's going into gear or waiting to move off.

In the last few months it has been getting more difficult to change gear when the engine/gearbox is cold, it eases up a bit later on but there are times where I have to double-de-clutch to change gear. Which, you know, is always fun as I rarely would otherwise need to do it ;)

Even driving around town when I've been mobile for a while it feels difficult to get it into gear. With the clutch all the way down, it can feel like i'm pushing against something solid and it won't go in, then have to clutch out in neutral and clutch in again and try that way.

There is also a bit of a soft crunch when it's going into gear, with the pedal all the way down. This is with going up or down the gears.

I think it's time to have the thrust bearing fixed (along with a fresh clutch/DMF (if required) and also a reconditioned gearbox. That is the cheaper method of getting the gear issues sorted.

Do you agree? Or does it sound like it's just a clutch issue?

Vehicle is a Discovery 2 TD5 Manual 2002 In case you didn't know already ;)

Phoo

Observer
My own rover exists as a stack of cardboard boxes, but I once had an old VW that behaved in a similar manner. Turned out that the seals on the clutch slave cylinder were slowly dying. Leakage rate and subsequent line pressure would fluctuate with temperature. The root of the issue became quite obvious the day my clutch pedal stuck to the floor when I stopped at a toll booth! Notice any drippings or low fluid level?

Red90

Adventurer
What fluid is in the gearbox? Agree that some of what you say sounds like a hydraulic issue.

Saratoga

Adventurer
Less than 6 months ago the oil was changed using the proper MTF and done at a land rover place.

Red90

Adventurer
Do the clutch then. Change all the throwout components at the same time as well as the slave and master. Use only OEM parts. A metal housed throwout bearing would be a good idea and a reinforced clutch fork.

Saratoga

Adventurer
Yep. I think as a minimum that needs to be done, but considering the cost of it, I might go with having the gearbox done as well. After all, it is 15 years old lol.

I know series Land Rover is went longer without a gearbox change, but that was a different standard they were made too.

Red90

Adventurer
There should be no real reason to touch the gearbox unless it has not been treated well. A clutch job is pretty easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles