Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'd call it slightly elitist. Every trip had to be a campaign, like we're all going on mini Roald Amundsen expeditions or Livingstone or Stanley crossing Africa.
Ahh.. gotcha. I have to admit, I'm not one to do trip reports or take a bunch of pics. I don't even have a build thread for my stock truck, lol.

To each their own though. They can make an interesting reads and I do enjoy seeing the pictures of peoples travels.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Ahh.. gotcha. I have to admit, I'm not one to do trip reports or take a bunch of pics. I don't even have a build thread for my stock truck, lol.

To each their own though. They can make an interesting reads and I do enjoy seeing the pictures of peoples travels.
Been around on and off for 13 years and that spans two very similar trucks and the same WilderNest. No build threads, a few photos here and there either.

I've never really felt in touch with what I think is the typical "ExPoer", since I don't have an overland 4x4 Isuzu cab-over and it has never been a realistic for us to travel endlessly. I know some people with modest incomes have done it but I get the feeling generally that most of the core demographic is fairly well off and somewhat deaf to how the rest of us lives. I think that's what rubbed Clutch raw. What do you mean you can't take sabbatical from your investment broker position in the firm for 6 months?

The thing, though, is great for them but there never seemed to be an appreciation for that fact that without millions of people willing to grind it out daily building Toyotas, designing GPS, stamping out Snow Peak junk their lifestyles couldn't exist. There's a feeling of disdain for someone who works their whole live and doesn't see all corners of the world as being unambitious or something and can only afford to live vicariously.

But I've learned a few things, like about fridges, for those people. I had no idea before and now I can't imagine not having one.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Been around on and off for 13 years and that spans two very similar trucks and the same WilderNest. No build threads, a few photos here and there either.

I've never really felt in touch with what I think is the typical "ExPoer", since I don't have an overland 4x4 Isuzu cab-over and it has never been a realistic for us to travel endlessly. I know some people with modest incomes have done it but I get the feeling generally that most of the core demographic is fairly well off and somewhat deaf to how the rest of us lives. I think that's what rubbed Clutch raw. What do you mean you can't take sabbatical from your investment broker position in the firm for 6 months?

The thing, though, is great for them but there never seemed to be an appreciation for that fact that without millions of people willing to grind it out daily building Toyotas, designing GPS, stamping out Snow Peak junk their lifestyles couldn't exist. There's a feeling of disdain for someone who works their whole live and doesn't see all corners of the world as being unambitious or something and can only afford to live vicariously.

But I've learned a few things, like about fridges, for those people. I had no idea before and now I can't imagine not having one.
I get that. Def. a camper vs Expo'er here. Picked up lots of good ideas and info from this site that I can use though.

And yeah, if one day I could drive down the Pan American or up the Dalton etc, that would be a great adventure too.

Kpack

Adventurer

Going to the Northwest Overland Rally this last weekend opened my eyes to what the "overlanding scene" is. I admired all the built vehicles and travels that were shared. I also realized that I will probably never be considered an "overlander". I work a busy job, have a wife and 5 kids at home, and serve in my church and community, and have very little time left over. I build my truck as a hobby and take it on short trips and trail runs close to home. I doubt that I'll ever be able to do long-term camping trips spanning many days and miles. It's just not in the cards and to be quite honest, I enjoy what I'm doing with my vehicle right now. I realized that I don't need to have all the bells and whistles bolted to my truck to have a good time.....no need for a roof-top tent, drawer system, on-board water, etc for me. I just wouldn't use it. Off-road capability on tough trails and easy set up for single night camping is all I need. If I can take my truck on a tough trail and have a great day with my kids exploring in the mountains, then I'm happy.

I do a build thread on my truck as a way to "give back" to the community here. There were a few other 1st gen Tundra threads on the forums that really helped me out as I was learning how to work on my truck, and I hope that sharing my experiences will help others as well. I'm very much a novice and maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes.

Last edited:

Wayaway

I've had lots of cars and pickups from the 50's & 60's. Once I took a '63 Chevrolet C10 long bed pickup on a 9 day road trip all through California. I was sleeping in the back or crashing with friends.

I think it would be amazing to build an old Willie's (I was almost born in a '40)..

But.. I'd love to build a 1973, 74 or 75 Chevy short box, 350 / 350 original or converted to 4x4 with lockers, 1 slide out bed box with a kitchen, an overland bed rack with a clam shell tent. 2" lift (level). 32" AT pizza cutters on steelie wheels. Mild rebuild on the 350 with a small Holley jetted for economy. Headers and an exhaust designed for quiet. Custom bumpers with a winch and recovery points. Skid plate and really simple sliders.
Note: my first pickup was a 74.
Attached is a grab from the internet of a 74 GMC and my old '63.

Attachments

• 1974-gmc-sierra-15hundred-chevrolet-silverado-4x4-short-bed-classic-chevy-pickup-1.jpg
    1974-gmc-sierra-15hundred-chevrolet-silverado-4x4-short-bed-classic-chevy-pickup-1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20190625-213042.jpg
    Screenshot_20190625-213042.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles