Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I like to have twice the truck than what I need. (Which doesn't mean the biggest and the bestest tho') ;)

I get that. In a lot of cases I have the 'Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it' mentality.

Before the internet, used to grab Auto-traders at the local gas and sip. Leaf through those, and say to myself..."ohhh, I need that"...."errr, no I don't"

Have this love hate relationship with vehicles. A total motorhead, but I hate spending money...

Oh yeah! Auto-traders and we had Bargain Finder up here too. Once in a while I'd splurge for the expensive 'Classic Trader' for the old cars. It would cover all the vintage cars listed for sale across Canada, haha.

Think at this point, we are better off buying a fullsize truck. Midsizes have no real advantages over a fullsize.

Keep on looking at RCLB and DCSB Ram Classics with the V6, darn near the same capacities as a Midsize and for $10K or so less. Doesn't have the cool factor as a Gladiator, but has the same running gear, and will haul a beat-up Coleman stove and sleeping bag just the same. :D

The appeal for me with the Gladiator is that the top comes off. I've wanted another convertible since I since I sold my last one 20 years ago, But, it never made sense to get one. Now, I could have an open top vehicle that can tow, haul and be decent to drive in the winter.

Clutch

<---Pass
Personally, I think I'd have to drive the trucks before I could make a decision. Last time I drove a Taco was 6 or 7 years ago? I've never stepped into a Colorado, new Ranger, 3rd gen Tacoma or a Gladiator.

Have driven the 3rd Gen Taco and the Colorado. Both fine trucks more than enough for what I need. Heck, thought the lowly 4 Banger Tacoma was more than enough. According to my butt dyno it didn't feel all that different than my current 1st gen Tacoma, as I drive slow. Usually set the cruise at the speed limit...and when i don't do that, catch myself driving under it....whoops. Awfully nice not to be in a hurry anymores.

Sure I keep on looking at huge trailers and even bigger trucks. But I think my wife is right, tells me to keep it simple stupid. Maybe just get a newer version of what I have already. 4 banger Taco, with either a Vagabond or OVRLND camper, and a my moto trailer. And call it good.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'd have to drive the new Ranger and the new Jeep when it actually hits dealer lots, I've only seen the new Ranger at the dealer in passing. The ZR2 is appealing as a package but I found the interior to suck in every way and the diesel was slow. Back seats on both the Tacoma and Colorado are worthless and at the end of the day I could never bring myself to spend money on a GM product. I think the Gladiator is a cool concept but the pics I've seen of the actual truck look a little funky and it's hard for me to take a JK/JL seriously if it isn't on at least 35's, they look ridiculous in stock form.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'd have to drive the new Ranger and the new Jeep when it actually hits dealer lots, I've only seen the new Ranger at the dealer in passing. The ZR2 is appealing as a package but I found the interior to suck in every way and the diesel was slow. Back seats on both the Tacoma and Colorado are worthless and at the end of the day I could never bring myself to spend money on a GM product. I think the Gladiator is a cool concept but the pics I've seen of the actual truck look a little funky and it's hard for me to take a JK/JL seriously if it isn't on at least 35's, they look ridiculous in stock form.
Yes, the back seat room is what made me go full size. But, I think by the time I replace this F150 we'll only be be carting around 1 kid. Maybe the other two on occasion....
Not often enough to warrant buying a full size crew for the limo like back seat anyway, haha!

Clutch

<---Pass
I get that. In a lot of cases I have the 'Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it' mentality.

Yep...our C70 yanked around the skidsteers a Hell of a lot better than our F350's.

Though....a Subaru yanking around a 500-700 lbs aluminum 3-rail moto trailer will work just fine.

Oh yeah! Auto-traders and we had Bargain Finder up here too. Once in a while I'd splurge for the expensive 'Classic Trader' for the old cars. It would cover all the vintage cars listed for sale across Canada, haha.

used to look through those Classic Traders....oooh I could get that and fix it up...ohh and that...and that one.

But in all reality, classics you spend your time mostly rubbing on them and standing around in parking lots. (boring)

The appeal for me with the Gladiator is that the top comes off. I've wanted another convertible since I since I sold my last one 20 years ago, But, it never made sense to get one. Now, I could have an open top vehicle that can tow, haul and be decent to drive in the winter.

Does have a little bit of everything...which is pretty fricken cool.

Let's see this moto trailer.

Nothing special, 5X8 Big Tex with 3 Pingel wheel-chocks. Can drag it down trails without much worry.

503504ingle

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Yep, been there, done that.

I went through a muscle car phase. The neighbor down the hill from our house built customs. '50 Merc, '41 Ford, '36 Pontiac...couple others I can't remember. used to hang out in the garage for hours BSing about everything and nothing at the same time. Which the internet has become a virtual garage of sorts, bunch of us knuckleheads discussing and arguing over pretty much all about nothing. :D;)

Still love the classics, thought of restoring an old truck and camper, something to cover all the bases of the "wants and needs", but would I really want to drag it down dirt roads when I am done with it? Probably not.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I went through a muscle car phase. The neighbor down the hill from house built customs. '50 merc, '41 Ford, '36 Pontiac...couple others I can't remember. used to hang out in the garage for hours BSing about everything and nothing at the same time. Which the internet has become a virtual garage of sorts, bunch of us knuckleheads discussing and arguing over pretty much all about nothing. :D;)

Still love the classics, thought of restoring an old truck and camper, something to cover all the bases of the "wants and needs", but would I really want to drag it down dirt roads when I am done with it? Probably not.

View attachment 503523
That looks like a perfect set up! Dirt roads? Why not... if that's what you built it for. If you're driving slow taking in the scenery etc, should be fine! If I got a classic again, I think it would be an old SUV (FJ60 / Wagoneer / Suburban) I wouldn't hesitate to use it as it was meant to be. If it wasn't fixed up and saved in the first place, it would just be in a scrap heap anyway, right? lol So what's a scratch or rock chip here or there?

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
That looks like a perfect set up! Dirt roads? Why not... if that's what you built it for. If you're driving slow taking in the scenery etc, should be fine! If I got a classic again, I think it would be an old SUV (FJ60 / Wagoneer / Suburban) I wouldn't hesitate to use it as it was meant to be. If it wasn't fix up and saved in the first place, it would just be in a scrap heap anyway, right? lol So what's a scratch or rock chip here or there?

View attachment 503524

Yeah, would be great for plunking around the Western US and Canada, it is just me being fussy not wanting to screw things up...though I am fairly gentle on my equipment.

Thought it would be cool to get a vehicle the same age of me. All this talk of people saying platforms are out dated...we are getting fairly out dated ourselves, no upgrading us either! :D

Couple that were sold locally to me.

Diggin' these Internationals.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've always wanted to redo an older Wagoneer, preferably one of the first years with the narrow grill. That said I'd likely do an FJ45 or FJ60 instead, but who knows. I've already redone a 1972 Bronco frame off and then put it up on 35's with a 302 bored .040 over.

I spotted this today in NW Houston. Wish I had time to stop and look at it more closely, it was huge lol.

6uFqoWV.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I've always wanted to redo an older Wagoneer, preferably one of the first years with the narrow grill. That said I'd likely do an FJ45 or FJ60 instead, but who knows. I've already redone a 1972 Bronco frame off and then put it up on 35's with a 302 bored .040 over.

I spotted this today in NW Houston. Wish I had time to stop and look at it more closely, it was huge lol.

6uFqoWV.jpg

We had a 70's Wagoneer Cherokee Chief (can't recall the exact year, but it was red), which my parents bought new. Remember I was practicing driving in it when I was 12 or something and ran a fence post down the side of it, mom was not happy! Would be nice to get another to restore, but they were POS when they were new, remember it left us stranded a few times over heating. Would have to put all modern running gear in it.

Love this, looks stock but all kinds of goodies underneath.

1976-jeep-wagoneer-front-three-quarter.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We had a 70's Wagoneer Cherokee Chief (can't recall the exact year, but it was red), which my parents bought new. Remember I was practicing driving in it when I was 12 or something and ran a fence post down the side of it, mom was not happy! Would be nice to get another to restore, but they were POS when they were new, remember it left us stranded a few times over heating. Would have to put all modern running gear in it.

Love this, looks stock but all kinds of goodies underneath.

1976-jeep-wagoneer-front-three-quarter.jpg
Love that Jeep. The only thing I'd change are the hubcaps. I think that poverty caps / dog dish would look better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles