Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Dalko43

Explorer
Dropped off some wheels to knew owner about 85 miles away. Filled up and decided to pick up a draft on the way home. Even after dropping the draft, sill almost 20mpg. **

** - previous manual checks have shown this to be fairly accurate.... still no new truck. ?

If that's a F-250, those mpg's are pretty dang good.

bkg

Explorer
If that's a F-250, those mpg's are pretty dang good.

f350... but the difference is an overload spring that I currently sitting in the loft in the barn. :)

Trust me, I normally get 15-18... picking up the draft was awesome...

Dalko43

Explorer
Trust me, I normally get 15-18... picking up the draft was awesome...

With 2.5" lift and 35's? That's still not that bad.

How do you like the 6.7L Powerstroke so far? By all the accounts, it seems to be a vast improvement over the earlier 6.0's and 6.4's.

bkg

Explorer
With 2.5" lift and 35's? That's still not that bad.

How do you like the 6.7L Powerstroke so far? By all the accounts, it seems to be a vast improvement over the earlier 6.0's and 6.4's.

With the exception of the DEF situation, I like it. I had a tech do a diagnostic on it because it loses 30-40% mileage and tons of power during a regeneration, but it checked out fine. I'd delete it if could justify it; but it's under warranty, so not touching anything else. I bought it with 7500 miles on it in 10/2016 to replace my '15 crewmax for towing. It's a night and day difference.

bkg

Explorer
I've had four of them since 2011, fantastic trucks and the best diesel on the market IMHO.

I test drove a RAM. I somewhat wanted a megacab 3500 SRW. Dealer could have gotten me into a 2017 RAM for almost the same prices as the 2015 F250 they had on the lot. But I couldn't get over the way the AT shifter worked. Petty I know, but it felt weird. I think the RAM has a better center console (the best cellphone holder ever!). I think their UConnect is better than Sync as well, but I've overall been very happy. Took me a long time to find this one - white, platinum w/o sunroof and with 5-wheel prep package (just in case).

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I test drove a RAM. I somewhat wanted a megacab 3500 SRW. Dealer could have gotten me into a 2017 RAM for almost the same prices as the 2015 F250 they had on the lot. But I couldn't get over the way the AT shifter worked. Petty I know, but it felt weird. I thing the RAM has a better center console (the best cellphone holder ever!). I think their UConnect is better than Sync as well, but I've overall been very happy. Took me a long time to find this one - white, platinum w/o sunroof and with 5-wheel prep package (just in case).

After now having owned both I can say that I appreciate aspect of both trucks. The Ram certainly has a better console and Apple Car Play is the best infotainment OS on the market, period. The ride is twice as good in the Ram as well. That said, the Ford cab is quieter, the seats are better, the truck doesn't get tossed around by the wind as much and it holds steadier at highway speeds, the Ram is a little loose and sort of darty at 65+. I think Ford will always have the best side mirror and when towing that is a huge deal. I would be happy with either make in the future but I am holding out hope that the High Boy is going to be a real option in the next few years. Depending on which power plant they offer it will likely become my new daily.

bkg

Explorer
After now having owned both I can say that I appreciate aspect of both trucks. The Ram certainly has a better console and Apple Car Play is the best infotainment OS on the market, period. The ride is twice as good in the Ram as well. That said, the Ford cab is quieter, the seats are better, the truck doesn't get tossed around by the wind as much and it holds steadier at highway speeds, the Ram is a little loose and sort of darty at 65+. I think Ford will always have the best side mirror and when towing that is a huge deal. I would be happy with either make in the future but I am holding out hope that the High Boy is going to be a real option in the next few years. Depending on which power plant they offer it will likely become my new daily.

I think the RAM drove more like a truck... Was plenty stiff. Granted I only put 5 miles on it. But that was also the 3500 w/ rear leafs… Ford is definitely quieter, for sure.

Adventurous

Explorer
I think the RAM drove more like a truck... Was plenty stiff. Granted I only put 5 miles on it. But that was also the 3500 w/ rear leafs… Ford is definitely quieter, for sure.

Mirrors my experience. The Ford was the quieter, more refined interior of the two, and it probably had a smoother ride as well. The RAM was more of a no frills get ******** done kinda truck, and I liked that, hence how I ended up in a 3500 instead of an F350.

bkg

Explorer
while we're talking about topics completely unrelated to anything Toyota...

'm seriously thinking about selling the 04 xtracab, the 04 doublecab and the 02 4Runner... and buying a JK.
Mirrors my experience. The Ford was the quieter, more refined interior of the two, and it probably had a smoother ride as well. The RAM was more of a no frills get ******** done kinda truck, and I liked that, hence how I ended up in a 3500 instead of an F350.

I do like my heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel. ?

Tex68w

Beach Bum

'm seriously thinking about selling the 04 xtracab, the 04 doublecab and the 02 4Runner... and buying a JK.

I do like my heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel. ?

Not sure if serious, but with that said, I have owned quite a few Jeeps in the past, and while almost every single one has either left me completely stranded or down right frustrated at one point, I still can't help but love the damn things. A buddy of mine just picked a clean low mile, last year JKU Rubicon and he plans to do a full build with it and I am super excited for him. They might be cheap feeling, noisy, and at times completely unreliable, but they are all insanely capable, fun to tinker with and the ultimate lego set. I still get excited when I see a JKU on 40's with flat fenders. I think of the 4Runner as the perfect mid-size touring 4WD and the Wrangler as the perfect mid-size rock crawler. SO if you are serious I think we expect a detailed build thread and don't disappoint with a some small metric AT's, make that puppy have some personality.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious

Not sure if serious either... I'd build one if I had the time and money... And money. But it'd be on tons, 40's, atlas, v8, etc. Id' basically replace everything that had anything to do with Chrysler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles