Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah, I kinda thought that would be the case. In the warm weather they look very similar (the beard and the feet on a lynx would be a telltale). However in the winter the lynx's coat turns white & grey. We were nowhere near close to it but the size of its paw tracks in the snow was really cool.

tacollie

Glamper
Yeah, I kinda thought that would be the case. In the warm weather they look very similar (the beard and the feet on a lynx would be a telltale). However in the winter the lynx's coat turns white & grey. We were nowhere near close to it but the size of its paw tracks in the snow was really cool.

Cool. The first one was 8 or 9 years ago so definitely a bobcat. It was standing in the middle of the trail when I ride up. I thought it was a dog at first. It ran in front of me for about 20' before it disappeared into the forest.

phsycle

Adventurer
They pretty much nailed the target market with that picture....old cheap dude in a bone stock Nissan. :D

ARE_4241339.jpg

Well, contacted yet, another dealer. This time, some positive news---the guy said ARE Classic Alu series is what I need. He claimed they weigh around 50lbs stock (may be a bit optimistic) and ~70lbs with what I want (solid side doors, solid front, and ladder rack). He's sold quite a few and many have installed and removed these caps by themselves. He did confirm these are NOT like the commercial (DCU) units, which are much heavier.

Three color options, white, silver, black. I'll probably go black. Rack would be great to haul my canoe and kayak. Overall price - $1,300. I think this is what I'll do.

It'd look like this without the awful looking windows
ex_q80_w416_h234_are-classic-aluminum-series-truck-caps-gallery-3.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Functional!

I'd get a sliding front window and probably skip the ladder rack. I found the rack brackets they screw on to be marginally useful so I used Yakima Side Loaders into the skeleton and 1A towers. But there are other ways to build yourself a decent roof rack.

One other thing to think about with black is the surface will get considerably hotter than white or silver. Coating or insulating the back of the aluminum skin is a good idea to regulate the temperature and keep from touching it. The problem is, of course, black usually looks best with any truck that isn't white or silver.

phsycle

Adventurer
Hm, maybe I'll skip the rack then. Too bad, because it's only $100 option. I am going to keep the front solid, though. I like being able to load stuff without worrying about cracking the window. Last year, took the neighborhood kids sledding and they were just chucking them in the back. Almost hit the rear window a few times. It'd be nice to not worry about that. That's the reason I'm going with solid side doors as well.

Black is the only color that will work, unfortunately. I may look into some sort of spray-on insulation solution.

Clutch

<---Pass
Funny you mention that; not too long ago, there was a big case in BC about some mtb trail sabotage going on (link)

Awesome! Most of the time trail saboteurs get a slap on the wrist. There was a guy in Flagstaff a few years ago that was setting up boobie traps...caught red handed, bunch of evidence. The authorities didn't do much to him. I'll try and find the article.

Clutch

<---Pass
One other thing to think about with black is the surface will get considerably hotter than white or silver. Coating or insulating the back of the aluminum skin is a good idea to regulate the temperature and keep from touching it. The problem is, of course, black usually looks best with any truck that isn't white or silver.
Black is the only color that will work, unfortunately. I may look into some sort of spray-on insulation solution.

Ya know...you could turn it into a solar oven. Throw your dinner in there before go out for a trail run, come back... presto! Dinner is ready!

truckcaps_16.jpg

-----------------

Got around to installing the seat covers today, digging the ballistic material, very similar to what is on our Timbuk2 bicycle messenger bags...one of those "should of bought them years ago". They should last a long time. Not the cheapest things, but cheaper than new seats.

Oh and wheels...have been perusing the 1st gen 98-00 section on TW. Found a couple 4runner 5 Spoke pics...they don't look half bad if you paint them dark. Think I might do that instead of trying to find steelies.

3E371B3F-CEE8-4025-BA39-EDB990B069B8.jpg

IMG_2776-3.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

I just had a set of 4Runner Limited 5 spokes powder coated a medium gray (Cardinal P004-GR09). While they were getting refinished I used a set of plain black 16 hole steel wheels and even though they are still stock glossy black I kind the look so I may stay with them

Clutch

<---Pass
I just had a set of 4Runner Limited 5 spokes powder coated a medium gray (Cardinal P004-GR09). While they were getting refinished I used a set of plain black 16 hole steel wheels and even though they are still stock glossy black I kind the look so I may stay with them

Had a chance to buy a set of 16" steelies when I bought the 5 Spokes...regretting that I didn't snag the steelies too. Have been scouring salvage yards recently...BUT, stumbled on that thread and saw the dark painted with a burly tire. That may work. Like the dark gray on the silver Tacoma.

thezentree

pretend redneck
I've got those on my 4Runner, painted them Duplicolor dark graphite or whatever. I think they look great on a silver truck.

IMG_8143.jpg

If you go buy a second set, for the love of god do yourself a HUGE favor and have them sandblasted and powdercoated before you mount tires. I spent a solid 25 hours stripping and painting mine with tires mounted, and it was not worth the effort.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've got those on my 4Runner, painted them Duplicolor dark graphite or whatever. I think they look great on a silver truck.

View attachment 488009

If you go buy a second set, for the love of god do yourself a HUGE favor and have them sandblasted and powdercoated before you mount tires. I spent a solid 25 hours stripping and painting mine with tires mounted, and it was not worth the effort.

Those look good, thanks for the advice. That is what I was going to do with wheel prep, have stripped stuff in the past it is a pain in the butt. My truck is Jade Mica Green, found this picture of one with Tundra wheels, think it will look good.

20160422_133538-1.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I think those 4Runner wheels are the best looking ones Toyota has offered in an alloy. I would be getting myself a set of them if my new 1st Gen didn’t have 90% BFG ATs in a 15” size. With your green truck they would even look good in factory silver. I do love the Duplicolor graphite though.

As for cougars/mtn lions, there used to be one that followed me around for hours in my Pisten Bully. It must have been in love with the big cat!? You could see the glowing eyes in the rear facing work lights, and then their tracks would freeze into the corduroy. Wolves are becoming a big problem again in BC. I had one walk past me about 30’ away while I was white tail hunting last month. I’d hate to meet one in a dark alley... check out the size of its paws in the pic below next to my size 9 winter boot!

6C976FFA-0138-4CE3-99E0-52955C2045FC.jpeg

moderndaynorseman

Awesome! Most of the time trail saboteurs get a slap on the wrist. There was a guy in Flagstaff a few years ago that was setting up boobie traps...caught red handed, bunch of evidence. The authorities didn't do much to him. I'll try and find the article.

There was another guy who claimed he was a victim of trail sabotage in Alberta but there were tons of holes in his story. It wound up being investigated by the RCMP and last I heard, he'd fled Canada before his trial date (link)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles