Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Ain't nothing bear-proof
False security blanket
For sure. But somethings must be more bear resistant than others. Would you rather be behind canvas or fiberglass if a bear wondered into your campsite?
On that note, has anyone here seen Back Country on Netflix? Not sure if it would be on the U.S. Netflix as I believe it's a Canadian movie.

phsycle

Adventurer
For sure. But somethings must be more bear resistant than others. Would you rather be behind canvas or fiberglass if a bear wondered into your campsite?

Oh, something solid, for sure. But, knock on wood, in all my years of camping, and in some remote places, never had a bear wander into camp. Much less seen one in the wild (I've seen 2 to be exact). So really, I'm about as worried about that as getting hit by a meteor.

I get much more freaked out by cats. I've only seen one of those in the wild as well. But still gives me the heeby jeebies when I'm out hiking or biking in the dark.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Oh, something solid, for sure. But, knock on wood, in all my years of camping, and in some remote places, never had a bear wander into camp. Much less seen one in the wild (I've seen 2 to be exact). So really, I'm about as worried about that as getting hit by a meteor.

I get much more freaked out by cats. I've only seen one of those in the wild as well. But still gives me the heeby jeebies when I'm out hiking or biking in the dark.

We were setting up camp a few years back and our girls were playing beside the tent trailer. A park ranger pulled up and asked if we saw the bear run by. We said... uh...NO! Turns out a cub was separated from it's mama and the ranger was trying to veer it back to her. So.... since then we try to be a little more cautious. Still can't believe we missed seeing it stroll right passed us. This was in the Rockies near Banff.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Good thing about mountain lions is you'll never see it coming. I have seen wild cats three times, twice mountain lions and once a lynx (which is a very rare and special thing in Colorado). One lion was just his eyes at the edge of my bike lights and the other was a ton of brush moving and a fairly certain spotting of a tail. I have seen black bear but in side country and the suburban/forest border that's not really unusual.

tacollie

Glamper
Would it not be more so that a canvas topper?

I ask because when we camp we are told not to keep food in our tent trailer because of bears. Yet, people with hardwall's (which are made of fiberglass, i believe are okay). We don't cook in our trailer. Strictly speaking food storage...

If bear want they will get it. They can smell it either way.

Good thing about mountain lions is you'll never see it coming. I have seen wild cats three times, twice mountain lions and once a lynx (which is a very rare and special thing in Colorado). One lion was just his eyes at the edge of my bike lights and the other was a ton of brush moving and a fairly certain spotting of a tail. I have seen black bear but in side country and the suburban/forest border that's not really unusual.

I've seen 7 lynx in Colorado. 6 on the bike and 1 crossing the street in my neighborhood. I do solo night rides in mountain lion territory. I figure they aren't hungry because of all the deer. I'm convinced I'm going to nail a deer on my mtb one of these days!

Wallygator

Adventurer
If bear want they will get it. They can smell it either way.

I've seen 7 lynx in Colorado. 6 on the bike and 1 crossing the street in my neighborhood. I do solo night rides in mountain lion territory. I figure they aren't hungry because of all the deer. I'm convinced I'm going to nail a deer on my mtb one of these days!

Didn't a mountain lion attack a mountain biker a few years back. Dragged him off the trail and the only reason they knew right away is because the lion was acting weird trying to protect his kill. Crazy

There was also a Cougar attack on some mountain bikers this year in the Seattle area.

phsycle

Adventurer
Didn't a mountain lion attack a mountain biker a few years back. Dragged him off the trail and the only reason they knew right away is because the lion was acting weird trying to protect his kill. Crazy

There was also a Cougar attack on some mountain bikers this year in the Seattle area.

There was that attack in Washington (two men. One killed, one injured.) Both were on their mountain bikes. And woman in Oregon.

Again, lions scare me the most. Don’t care about bears, or snakes. Although chances of a cougar attack, or any animal attack are pretty low. Thankfully.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've seen 7 lynx in Colorado. 6 on the bike and 1 crossing the street in my neighborhood.
Did you call it in? We saw the one on the CT on the way back to Copper from Janet's Hut in the winter and the state wildlife guy was really happy to know it had survived. This would have been around 2007 or so, I think 10 years after the reintroduction. They released about 200 of them and at that point only one litter of two kittens had been seen. I think they're doing well but there's only a few hundred in the state so you're pretty lucky. I've seen tracks since but never another.

tacollie

Glamper
Did you call it in? We saw the one on the CT on the way back to Copper from Janet's Hut in the winter and the state wildlife guy was really happy to know it had survived. This would have been around 2007 or so, I think 10 years after the reintroduction. They released about 200 of them and at that point only one litter of two kittens had been seen. I think they're doing well but there's only a few hundred in the state so you're pretty lucky. I've seen tracks since but never another.
Oh dang! I didn't realize there were so few. I never called any of them in. Also, looking at a map of the populations they were probably bobcat ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles