Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
The main issue for me and my wife (well beside not having an extra $70k...) is the lack of airbags in these older vehicles. I still have a Westfalia Syncro that I will keep around and which does not have airbags...but that's the last one I am keeping and I would not take it on long overland journey in Africa... We say a terrible accident in Australia where 2 teenager girls could have been saved if their car had had airbags. Seeing the whole thing right in front of your eyes was an eye-opener.

That is terrible. Buddy if mine was in a head-on with his F150, a Camry swerved into his lane, even with airbags the two in the Camry unfortunately didn't survive. He and his wife both came out with broken feet. Was a matter of who was in the bigger vehicle.

Vintage vehicles make ok Sunday drivers, but I wouldn't want to do any real traveling in one. One of the reasons we sold our '73 Westy...loved that thing, but quite miserable to drive any long distances. Then to think that the only thing between you and a head-on accident is thin piece of sheet metal.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I like the new safety gizmos. I hadn't thought much of the front collision warning. Last week, I was driving down the street, coming up on a car turning into a gas station. I kept going in anticipation she would turn in. But for some reason, stomped on the brakes. The collision alert started beeping (but did not engage brakes). I was fully aware of what was going on, but I was pretty impressed how well it seemed to work. It could have saved me from $$$ in repairs had I been distracted.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like the new safety gizmos. I hadn't thought much of the front collision warning. Last week, I was driving down the street, coming up on a car turning into a gas station. I kept going in anticipation she would turn in. But for some reason, stomped on the brakes. The collision alert started beeping (but did not engage brakes). I was fully aware of what was going on, but I was pretty impressed how well it seemed to work. It could have saved me from $$$ in repairs had I been distracted.

I could see how the safety devices can save you or someone elses bacon. I try to be as a alert as I can, but I am only human...seems like no matter how many times I check my blind spots, someone always sneaks in. Or I am looking at my side or rear view mirrors, then all of the sudden the car in front of me slows quickly.

Case in point, pulled into a restaurant parking lot the other day after dark, poorly lit lot...that section happened to be full...was kinda tight to turn around so I backed out instead...two people darted out from inbetween some parked cars, which I almost didn't see. Having sensors and a backup camera could be really helpful.

While no new truck is in my near future. Have been considering getting a new head unit with a backup camera. Be nice for hooking up my trailer is my thought, plus added safety.

On a side note, was making a run to Lowe's with my wife, saw a Pinz on a trailer going the other way up the highway, she spotted it and goes "What is that!"...ohh that is a Pinz probably going the surplus lot up the road..."really!?" think we need one of those, looks like VW on steroids!"

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I could see how the safety devices can save you or someone elses bacon. I try to be as a alert as I can, but I am only human...seems like no matter how many times I check my blind spots, someone always sneaks in. Or I am looking at my side or rear view mirrors, then all of the sudden the car in front of me slows quickly.

Case in point, pulled into a restaurant parking lot the other day after dark, poorly lit lot...that section happened to be full...was kinda tight to turn around so I backed out instead...two people darted out from inbetween some parked cars, which I almost didn't see. Having sensors and a backup camera could be really helpful.

While no new truck is in my near future. Have been considering getting a new head unit with a backup camera. Be nice for hooking up my trailer is my thought, plus added safety.

I just have a rear camera. Had one with sensors as well. Having a camera is plenty adequate for me. I would look into the new headunit. If you are handy with electronics, you could get it done pretty cheap. Handy for trailer hook ups as well. Get the front while you're at it. I need to do it to mine. Instructions seem fairly straight forward and the camera is not expensive.

Clutch

<---Pass
I just have a rear camera. Had one with sensors as well. Having a camera is plenty adequate for me. I would look into the new headunit. If you are handy with electronics, you could get it done pretty cheap. Handy for trailer hook ups as well. Get the front while you're at it. I need to do it to mine. Instructions seem fairly straight forward and the camera is not expensive.

Crutchfield has them for pretty cheap, be nice for blue tooth for the iphone too. Need to mount some rear lights as well, since it is pain in the but loading the trailer and backing it up in the dark. Had them on my last Wildernest, mounted to the bike rack, but I am not doing roof rack with this one. Thinking small LED pods mounted to the back of the camper somewhere.

phsycle

Adventurer
Back up camera, fancy headunit, Bluetooth hook up, navigation, LED Tactical Overland lighting..... look what you've become....

:D

Clutch

<---Pass
Back up camera, fancy headunit, Bluetooth hook up, navigation, LED Tactical Overland lighting..... look what you've become....

:D

Ha ha!

Really don't like the look of after market head units. Was going to get a Blue Tooth converter for my existing stock radio. But whole head units aren't that much more.

Was going to try to run everything through the phone, but that looks even more janky when they are on a stalk.

Might even break down and buy some new seats. Looking at Corbeau.

https://corbeau.com/gts-ii.html

Wish they offered the GTS II with lower thigh bolsters like the Sheel-Mann.

http://scheel-mann.com/seats/traveler

gts-ii-01.jpg

SM-812100_01__07341.1514333316.500.750.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
Ha ha!

Really don't like the look of after market head units. Was going to get a Blue Tooth converter for my existing stock radio. But whole head units aren't that much more.

Was going to try to run everything through the phone, but that looks even more janky when they are on a stalk.

Might even break down and buy some new seats. Looking at Corbeau.

https://corbeau.com/gts-ii.html

Wish they offered the GTS II with lower thigh bolsters like the Sheel-Mann.

http://scheel-mann.com/seats/traveler

gts-ii-01.jpg

SM-812100_01__07341.1514333316.500.750.jpg

Do you like those seats? I liked those Corbeau's, but only for short drives. Can't move in those things! Great for car racing, but I like shift a bit on longer drives.

Clutch

<---Pass
Do you like those seats? I liked those Corbeau's, but only for short drives. Can't move in those things! Great for car racing, but I like shift a bit on longer drives.
I do, had a set similar in my ‘92 that we’re out of an Acura.

Only thing I don’t like is the high thigh bolsters. Pain if you get in and out a lot, which I do. Would have to go their Sport seat for that reason. The Sheel-Mann’s look fricken sweet...but those aren’t exactly cheap.

861A490D-4A4E-4192-8830-E051E3C32073.jpeg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I feel claustrophobic in those racing seats. I think the best seats I've sat in are Land Cruiser seats. Nice and plush. Or 4Runner Limited.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I spent so many years with a fixed back Sparco that I actually miss them now. The 2nd gen Taco seats are unbearably awful.

Those Corbeau's are nearly identical to the Recaro's my old man put in his BJ60, and they're so comfy. I wouldn't hesitate picking up a set if I could work out the airbag bypass stuff. (I'm sure there's a way, just haven't looked into it)

Clutch

<---Pass
I feel claustrophobic in those racing seats. I think the best seats I've sat in are Land Cruiser seats. Nice and plush. Or 4Runner Limited.

I have looked and looked for 4Runner Limited seats over the years, darn near impossible to find...or you do find them, and they are sold in a heartbeat.

Ordered some ballistic seat covers for now. Should be here today, might be enough to hold me over.

https://www.autoanything.com/seat-covers/75A4643A0A0.aspx

I spent so many years with a fixed back Sparco that I actually miss them now. The 2nd gen Taco seats are unbearably awful.

Those Corbeau's are nearly identical to the Recaro's my old man put in his BJ60, and they're so comfy. I wouldn't hesitate picking up a set if I could work out the airbag bypass stuff. (I'm sure there's a way, just haven't looked into it)

Almost ordered a set, had them in the check out cart, dunno...couldn't bring myself to hit "Pay Now" Think I will destroy the thigh bolster getting in and out. May end up with the Sports, since they are more practical. That and the shape is similar to my stock seats...the new covers "should" fit the Corbeau's if I decide to get them.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I think that's the big issue. Having a low car, with a cage to grab onto, where you literally sit down into the seat, is a lot easier than having to pull yourself up and over that bolster. That's really my only complaint with the BJ60. It's a chore, especially when you're my size.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think that's the big issue. Having a low car, with a cage to grab onto, where you literally sit down into the seat, is a lot easier than having to pull yourself up and over that bolster. That's really my only complaint with the BJ60. It's a chore, especially when you're my size.

The way it is now the seats are at perfect ass height. Would have to pull up and over to clear it. See that getting old real fricken quick.

The Sheel-Mann Traveler F is about perfect...just can't see myself spending $3000 for a pair of seats. hmmmm....I wonder if Corbeau is willing to shave the foam similar to the Sheel's...or maybe an upholstery shop could do it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I had tall bolster racing seats in the 1991 for a while. I hated them with a passion, I'd hit my head on the roof getting in every danged time.

I scored a set of sport buckets from a 4Runner, adjustable tilt, kidney wings, tilting head rest, adjustable lumbar. Those were pretty nice, although the foam was a little too soft and the lumbar knob being on the inside interfered with the Tuffy console.

IMG_4088_mid.jpg

IMG_4089_mid.jpg

The 2nd gen TRD Tacoma seats are OK, I don't really find them that much less comfortable although having the tilting lower cushion would be nice. They fit me better than the Forester seats, although the material and foam in those is better the lower section is too short for my legs on long trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles