Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Long Range makes a 34 gallon tank that can be fitted to 127" wheelbase 2nd & 3rd gen Tacomas. Stock location, no moving spares or exhaust re-routing.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/long-range-fuel-tank.530547/

I'd go that way if I had $1,000 laying around. I'd also have to really think about the left-right weight imbalance it would produce.

I have a set of Scepter 20L surplus cans, they are pretty leak-proof (at least for me, never tried shooting one to really test it). They've swelled, sometimes a lot, but how they don't leak is pretty amazing. Although what leaked in my truck was actually a Scepter, although consumer grade 1.25 gallon mixed with 2-stroke for the weed eater.

I'm assuming that throws off the gas gauge as well? And for us pansies with DTE, it messes with that as well, I'm guessing. But a nice option, none the less. 34 gal would be awesome, especially being able to leave the spare in place. But I don't want to throw $1k at this, nor mess with the OBC. I'll have to take a look at the Scepter cans.

You don't need the range, not in the US. Plenty of fuel stops everywhere. For every one Micky D's....how many gas stations are by those Golden arches? Which was the point. We have 15 within a 3 mile radius and 2 McDonalds. Even when there isn't a Micks, there is a gas station. Or take places like Baja...plenty of entrepreneurs out in the middle of no where, willing to sell you gas. We do Baja on bikes with 80-100 mile range.

I get roughly 265 miles out of my tank. Have never run it out of gas in the back country. Even here in Idaho which can be pretty remote, there is a dirt bike ride where you can ride darn near all trail from Utah to Canada. Only need a 150 mile range. All those trails you can parallel in a vehicle. One of our friends does Death Valley trips a lot...to ride with him, all you need is a 200 mile range, that is it.

Have learned my lesson about carrying gas inside the vehicle too....had damn near a whole gallon of chainsaw premix spill in my 4Runner...boy that sucked for while.

I dunno, maybe because I am always putting gas into bikes via a jerry can, I don't mind them. Even with that, I rarely have to use them for the truck.

He's got a point, though. Needles/Maze, you do need to monitor gas consumption closely. No McD's around there!

phsycle

Adventurer
Coming from the dirt bike world riding in the back country, where the max I ever had was a 200 mile range. I just don't see why guys need 450 out of their trucks/suvs. Maybe they don't like stopping very much...but after riding 200 miles straight....you're ready to get off and stretch your legs a bit.

I would venture to guess range would be about even with dirt bikes in the back country. No way I could squeeze out max HWY mileage on dirt. With 21 gallons, I'd probably be around 200 miles, or maybe less (though this is highly dependent on terrain, obviously).

Clutch

<---Pass
He's got a point, though. Needles/Maze, you do need to monitor gas consumption closely. No McD's around there!

Two 5 gallon jerry cans, easy peezy. Some guys don't getting their hands dirty though...which I dunno, is kinda of the point of back country travel. (just teasing you there @DaveInDenver :)

Clutch

<---Pass
I would venture to guess range would be about even with dirt bikes in the back country. No way I could squeeze out max HWY mileage on dirt. With 21 gallons, I'd probably be around 200 miles, or maybe less (though this is highly dependent on terrain, obviously).

If you stay off the main jet...2T get about 30 mpg, carbed 4T will do 40ish, fuel injected 4T will be closer to 50 mpg.

KTM/Husqvarna does have fuel injected 2T's now, but we aren't really seeing any gains in fuel consumption.

phsycle

Adventurer
Two 5 gallon jerry cans, easy peezy. Some guys don't getting their hands dirty though...which I dunno, is kinda of the point of back country travel. (just teasing you there @DaveInDenver :)

Yeah, I'd definitely take a couple gas cans for sure. I don't sleep in the truck, no wildernest, so gas smell isn't that big of a deal. Although I do keep the tent back there and that would suck sucking gas fumes all night if it happened to spill. I haven't been thinking about adding some Yakima cross bars and mounting a cargo box on it to keep the stuff I want away from gas cans. Similar to this:

truck-bed-1-jpg.51604

phsycle

Adventurer
If you stay off the main jet...2T get about 30 mpg, carbed 4T will do 40ish, fuel injected 4T will be closer to 50 mpg.

KTM/Husqvarna does have fuel injected 2T's now, but we aren't really seeing any gains in fuel consumption.

Plus, you get through obstacles and other terrain MUCH faster than trucks.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, I'd definitely take a couple gas cans for sure. I don't sleep in the truck, no wildernest, so gas smell isn't that big of a deal. Although I do keep the tent back there and that would suck sucking gas fumes all night if it happened to spill. I haven't been thinking about adding some Yakima cross bars and mounting a cargo box on it to keep the stuff I want away from gas cans. Similar to this:

truck bed 1.jpg

Nice!

99% of the time while traveling I have my trailer, the jerry cans are back there. So non-issue for me. If they do spill...not even close to the truck.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Plus, you get through obstacles and other terrain MUCH faster than trucks.

Why I prefer back country travel on a bike...trucks just beats the crap out of you. Only way to get similar comfort and speed is a trophy truck....no way I could afford one of those. Even with all that money, still can't go where a bike can.

35287759_10156495760864630_3903916601077923840_n.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
Why I prefer back country travel on a bike...trucks just beats the crap out of you. Only way to get similar comfort and speed is a trophy truck....no way I could afford one of those. Even with all that money, still can't go where a bike can.

35287759_10156495760864630_3903916601077923840_n.jpg

Or a RZR. But the truck is nice being able to carry all the crap with you, especially if you're not base camping.

Clutch

<---Pass
Or a RZR. But the truck is nice being able to carry all the crap with you, especially if you're not base camping.

Oh yeah, tend to forget about those, as I have little interest in one (at least for now when I am still healthy) UTV is probably the biggest bang for the buck for off-roading with 4 wheels. Most of my older dirt bike buddies have moved to them...majority have tried and failed to get their wives to ride dirt bikes. Only a handful of women out there that ride. The UTV has been the solution to get their better half into the back country.

39504474_10217396660291047_8906836254264393728_n.jpg

Going back to the Needles/Maze range issues....kinda of my Micky D's point...we have to try really hard here to even find remote back country routes. Which is easily solved.....don't need a $40K diesel Tacoma, or a $1000 aux tank. Jerry can reciever hitch solves that problem cheap and easy. And how often to you run something like Needles/Maze?

I may not be the best welder out there, but even I can stick a couple tubes together like this for next to nothing.

matt703.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
UTV is probably the biggest bang for the buck for off-roading with 4 wheels. Most of my older dirt bike buddies have moved to them...most have tried and failed to get their wives to ride dirt bikes. Only a handful of women out there that ride. The UTV has been the solution to get their better half into the back country.

39504474_10217396660291047_8906836254264393728_n.jpg

Going back to the Needles/Maze range issues....kinda of my Micky D's point...we have to try really hard here to even find remote back country routes. Which is easily solved.....don't need a $40K diesel Tacoma, or a $1000 aux tank. Jerry can reciever hitch solves that problem cheap and easy. And how often to you run something like Needles/Maze?

I may not be the best welder out there, but even I can stick a couple tubes together like this for next to nothing.

matt703.jpg

Yeah, (unfortunately) I don't venture into the deep deep backcountry as often as I'd like. So gas cans really work for me. However, if I were taking regular trips out there, I would want something more permanent, like the larger tank Dave posted. I've always thought it would be cool to add an aux tank along the side of the bed on either side, kind of like those Ram Boxes. That's just unused space between the frame and the body panel.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, (unfortunately) I don't venture into the deep deep backcountry as often as I'd like. So gas cans really work for me. However, if I were taking regular trips out there, I would want something more permanent, like the larger tank Dave posted. I've always thought it would be cool to add an aux tank along the side of the bed on either side, kind of like those Ram Boxes. That's just unused space between the frame and the body panel.

Generally I get out at least once a week (well on the bike, use the truck to get it to the trail head). Unfortunately all of July I have been laid up with a broken collar bone and sprained ankle. Now that I am feeling better...the air quality is so bad with all of the fires...I don't want to even be outside. Was going to do a crack of dawn mountain bike ride this morning...but it is hazy in town. They even have an air particulate advisory in effect.

Dragged my 20 year old Voodoo SS and trying to get back into riding. Run S&M cruiser bars, that and I am old BMXer from he 80s. Recently found out that Flight is making pads again, just had to buy a set for my vintage Mountain Bike/BMX retro infusion thing or whatever the Hell it is...the dice valve caps are on order! :D

39441536_10156650116574630_5546224469145550848_n.jpg

Yeah, bedsides are a waste of space. I keep on looking at UTE campers with side access.

f193c2ab94c457da5665ec500a336ba4.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah, bedsides are a waste of space. I keep on looking at UTE campers with side access.

View attachment 467145

As Expo as hell that would be, RTT are kind of the worst of all things. Gotta climb up, high COG. Bed sides and your 'Nest at least you can stand up inside. What you're showing is sorta cool, though, since it passes through. That to me would be perfect it I didn't have to sell a kidney to get one. And to get one in the Land of the Free, I'd have to sell both kidneys.

Having a 6'x5' room with an 8' ceiling attached to a full size bed on the other side of the curtains gets a fella spoiled. Notice I had to stand on top of an Action Packer to get the photo from near the ceiling, too.

snowyrange_3_mid.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
As Expo as hell that would be, RTT are kind of the worst of all things. Gotta climb up, high COG. Bed sides and your 'Nest at least you can stand up inside. What you're showing is cool, though, since it passes through. That to me would be perfect it I didn't have to sell a kidney to get one. And to get one in the Land of the Free, I'd have to sell both kidneys.

Yeah, I can't justify the cost...even for how practical it is. So you don't have to deal with a RTT, you could have Vagabond or OVRLND build you one...plus a flatbed, guessing you'll be $12-15K when everything is said and done.

My $700 Wildernest works perfectly fine...even if I ever get around to getting a new tent sewn up for $1400....still way way way under the cost of the UTE camper.

https://www.tongbox.com.au/ttc-curved-camper-2/

phsycle

Adventurer
That's pricey. I could not climb up and down stairs to go to bed. I got tired of that at year 2 of bunk bedding when I was 10. Ground tent and a 3-4" mem foam topper. Springbar, so I can stand up in it.

If I had to get one to attach to the vehicle, I like the ARB awning room.

F148015878.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne