Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Must be my area? Looking at basic SR5's or basic TRD's ( Not PRO) new is mid to high 40's and used low 40's ( depending on equipment.) Sounds like you got a good deal! I'm honestly not looking that hard for deals either. Just poking around kijiji, daydreaming, lol. I think we're years away from actually doing anything.

Our Tuscon is almost paid for and only has 130,000 kms. So run it for a few years w/o payments and then likely hand it over to our eldest daughter to drive.
We bought ours in High River. I got hosed on the trade, but made out decent on the purchase price. January's a great time, because sales are slow and they want to keep the lights on. I damn near walked out of the dealer several times. Can't help but always feel like I've gotten screwed, no matter how much I try to haggle.

I bought it for the misses and she's super excited, it was her dream car and I am glad that I could make that happen for her. She has yet to drive it to work, she's nervous lol.

As much as I would like to dump the T4R Pro for a newer 200, I think it's best that we keep what we have for the time being. I can continue to build the 4Runner and use it as our main off-road rig and then reevaluate our needs and desires again in a year or two. I have lots of other hobbies as well, but the cars get the most use on a daily basis and even though they lose the most value, I have the most fun with this hobby out of all of the others.

They really are a beautiful machine. I'd probably feel the same way as her.
Given that our SR5 is the bread and butter vehicle, I doubt I'll do much to it before it's paid off. Besides, she has to approve everything, and we have VASTLY different tastes. She thinks I'm a snob, lol.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well that's boring. Totally get it though.

Yep, crazy how fast time seems to go by... I can still remember yesterday... like it was yesterday. My memory doesn't get much better than that, lol

Main reason I am so cheap...have a much bigger goal in mind. Boring yes, but what a relief it will be. Problem with new trucks is, they are new until you drive them off the lot. :D

Hey, better than me...can't remember what I had for breakfast today....today is still today, yeah? :D

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We bought ours in High River. I got hosed on the trade, but made out decent on the purchase price. January's a great time, because sales are slow and they want to keep the lights on. I damn near walked out of the dealer several times. Can't help but always feel like I've gotten screwed, no matter how much I try to haggle..
Oh I totally get it. We had to bury some negative equity into this tuscon. (Damn VW dealer... they offered half what we paid for the POS TDi we bought from them 6 months earlier. So went to another dealer) So it will be great in a little whiles when it's paid for that we essentially paid off two cars, lol.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Main reason I am so cheap...have a much bigger goal in mind. Boring yes, but what a relief it will be. Problem with new trucks is, they are new until you drive them off the lot. :D

Hey, better than me...can't remember what I had for breakfast today....today is still today, yeah? :D
It would be a huge relief! Too be able to retire at 50 is pretty amazing too. Not a lot of people can do that.

Breakfast? Did I eat breakfast? Hmmm... I don't feel hungry....

I guess it could be worse. I could have to leave notes everywhere for myself in places I know where to look... like this guy...

memento-01.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
It would be a huge relief! Too be able to retire at 50 is pretty amazing too. Not a lot of people can do that.

Breakfast? Did I eat breakfast? Hmmm... I don't feel hungry....

I guess it could be worse. I could have to leave notes everywhere for myself in places I know where to look... like this guy...

View attachment 500854

Well that is the plan, but you know what they say about the best laid plans....rather call it a loose agenda. If it happens, great! If not, not the end of the world. and use the word "retire" loosely...I'll still work, but quit the day job, and work from the house.

Ha...think I have seen that movie, but can't remember...

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Well that is the plan, but you know what they say about the best laid plans....rather call it a loose agenda. If it happens, great! If not, not the end of the world. and use the word "retire" loosely...I'll still work, but quit the day job, and work from the house.
Ah gotcha. All relative. Same line of work but home based or something completly different? My wife works from home and can't stand it.
With my commute, I'd trade places with her in a heartbeat, lol

Clutch

<---Pass
Ah gotcha. All relative. Same line of work but home based or something completly different? My wife works from home and can't stand it.
With my commute, I'd trade places with her in a heartbeat, lol

Different line of work. Have a couple irons in the fire currently that I do on the side of the day job. In 3 years going to see if I can pull one of them out, and maybe I can swing working out of the house.

Have a pretty cush job now, and while I like it...have been doing it for nearly 25 years now, want to try something else. That and commuting gets old. 15K/year just in commuting. Not terrible, but not all that great either. It is the traffic that kills me...good thing I can schudule my day to avoid....but take this morning, we had a snow storm blow in...nothing much...but man, people can't drive worth a damn. So I took the long way in, adds 30 miles, but hardly anyone out on the back country roads....and I get to practice my rally drifting technic. :D

dcg141

Adventurer
Tires and wheels. 265/70-17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 17x9 RR4-S Relations Race Wheels 0 offset 5 inch back spacing.

Attachments

• 7BBD7998-AC66-4786-99D9-31C2361D34FC.jpeg
    7BBD7998-AC66-4786-99D9-31C2361D34FC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • C3BD15B6-4130-4EA0-B3F3-E1F7DFA09304.jpeg
    C3BD15B6-4130-4EA0-B3F3-E1F7DFA09304.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 4BED402E-9200-47EE-8CBC-7EC12A09CD78.jpeg
    4BED402E-9200-47EE-8CBC-7EC12A09CD78.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • BD39861A-00C9-4D20-AF37-8104A9755930.jpeg
    BD39861A-00C9-4D20-AF37-8104A9755930.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 826ED99E-F847-4C57-8432-9973F70A2B11.jpeg
    826ED99E-F847-4C57-8432-9973F70A2B11.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
Speaking of Toyota’s and resale. I saw two nice Toys on the side of the road with For Sale signs today, both stock looking. One was parked near auto row, a ‘91 regular cab 4wd , 22RE, 5 speed bench, 150K miles, cracked windshield, pretty clean for a ‘91 but nothing special. $6K. The other was in a residential neighborhood, 2000 4 Runner, also 150K, 4wd, probably SR5 (not Limited), presumably a 3.4, very clean and no dings, with near perfect upholstery, good name brand tires, $4K or offer. I know which one I did (edit: WOULD) buy.

Last edited:

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I found a ratty '85 4runner an hour west of me. Guy wants $2,000. Which is super painful considering the interior is toast, the body is pretty rotted and covered in spray can bedliner, and the frame is questionable. Owner says it's rust free and solid... But I don't think he's a Toyota guy.

I wouldn't pay a penny over $1,000 for the thing. I sold a rust free '86, not running for less than that.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I found a ratty '85 4runner an hour west of me. Guy wants $2,000. Which is super painful considering the interior is toast, the body is pretty rotted and covered in spray can bedliner, and the frame is questionable. Owner says it's rust free and solid... But I don't think he's a Toyota guy.

I wouldn't pay a penny over $1,000 for the thing. I sold a rust free '86, not running for less than that.

That sounds like the one in Kamloops...

You could buy this:8768D421-E338-4B76-8D81-D33DA1AF805D.png

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Different line of work. Have a couple irons in the fire currently that I do on the side of the day job. In 3 years going to see if I can pull one of them out.

I turned 50 this past summer, and have turned my sideline job into my home based job. It’s great. Some days it’s hard to motivate yourself, but it is a great commute!

I went from building houses to building custom Airstream trailers.F4AEE02F-6DDF-4C84-A964-5B544776B00E.jpegF3BC64D3-6CAD-40EC-BADB-97202761F253.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94