Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
In case nobody figures that last post out, I was pointing out that the new Toyotas, in my opinion, are not as good as the “good ole Toyotas”.

I guess I should have read the ADHD storytelling post sooner...

Clutch

<---Pass
I’m in the midst of a full fledged fiasco (FFF?) with my local Toyota dealer. They’ve screwed up the same job on my 100 series 3x now, and this last time it came out of the shop with two paint chips to bare metal going under the front windshield (the reason this all started was corrosion around the windshield so I had them remove it so it could be taken to bare metal and properly sealed and painted with the glass out), and a golf ball size dent in my fender.

At one point during the FFF, they gave me a 2018 Tacoma Off-road Pacakge to drive. It truly WAS a TuRD! Even my wife who loves shiny and new (her first truck was an ‘01 Taco dblcab with Off-road package), could not get the 20 year old LC back fast enough! Since the dealer had the 100 again in an attempt to try and repair the current fvck-up, she was offered the Tacoma again for her 200 mile drive to work in the snowy mountains. She looked at the 30 year old 4Runner and said “can I take that?” Alas the furthest I’ve driven it is 20 mins away at this point and I’m not sending her out into the world in an unknown vehicle. At least not alone, and in 10* weather.
In case nobody figures that last post out, I was pointing out that the new Toyotas, in my opinion, are not as good as the “good ole Toyotas”.

I guess I should have read the ADHD storytelling post sooner...

I agree with you, they're nice...but Toyota has taken away what was so good about them.

Think I'll just keep my old one going, frame and body are virtually rust free...I'll toss in a new engine when the time comes. If all goes to plan, I "should" be retired in 4 years. Will have plenty of time to tinker. May even grab an early 80's pickup to mess with.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I kinda agree, around the late 90' into the '00's seems like the real sweet spot for Toyota's. I'm sure that overlaps on certain models and engines in both directions.

I feel silly about it, but part of me wants to sell my '00 Runner and find a LC100 of the same vintage. Everything tells me a LC100 will suck more gas, and probably be a little more trouble to fix, and my Runner has it's rough spots but it super clean mechanically, no rust. One hell of a truck for having 260k miles on it. Guess I'd be kinda dumb to get a LC100 to throw my muddy MTN bike in the back of and haul my butt to work and back every day when the Runner does that perfectly, but darn those LC's just look so cool.

Dalko43

Explorer
I don't know...the newer Tacoma's aren't bad per se. They're definitely made to a price point, but you're getting a very solid vehicle for that price point. I'm not a fan of the new 3.5l v6, but that aside the new Tacoma seems just as capable and reliable as the older ones.

The Tundra is arguably one of the better 1/2 tons on the market (my opinion of course) and the 4runner is the most robust, overbuilt BOF midsized SUV you can get currently (again my opinion).

The older LC 100's and 80's are great, but they're also old; it's a lot harder to find one that's in good shape.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm not a fan of the new 3.5l v6, but that aside the new Tacoma seems just as capable and reliable as the older ones.
I'm curious to see when the 2020 Tacoma is released this week, if the power train concerns are addressed.

Looking at the teaser pic though, it just looks like new headlights.... Maybe a new front bumper fascia and taillights will also show up?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I agree with you, they're nice...but Toyota has taken away what was so good about them.

Think I'll just keep my old one going, frame and body are virtually rust free...I'll toss in a new engine when the time comes. If all goes to plan, I "should" be retired in 4 years. Will have plenty of time to tinker. May even grab an early 80's pickup to mess with.

If you are about to retire, I’d think hard on it. In theory, retirement means a drop in income. Maybe not the best time to make a big purchase. The extra time will allow you to maintain the older vehicle, if you (like me) enjoy that.

I don't know...the newer Tacoma's aren't bad per se. They're definitely made to a price point, but you're getting a very solid vehicle for that price point. I'm not a fan of the new 3.5l v6, but that aside the new Tacoma seems just as capable and reliable as the older ones.

The older LC 100's and 80's are great, but they're also old; it's a lot harder to find one that's in good shape.

We found the entire drivetrain to be lacking, and the biggest complaint is how “cave like” the interior is. It’s totally dark and claustrophobic, even with sunroof open. I’m only 5’10” and 180. I can’t image what larger people think.

My 100 series has been phenomenal. I may have overpaid slightly, but I bought it 5 years ago when 200s were still stupid expensive, and 100 prices were accordingly higher. If you can find a good one (they are around if you aren’t hung up on picky details), they are the best all around value I think.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm curious to see when the 2020 Tacoma is released this week, if the power train concerns are addressed.
Changes are cosmetic, LED lighting in many places, 10-way seats (I assume similar to the 4Runner's), some infotainment changes, change to the grill. The engine and transmission are unchanged. Not sure about the stick shift options.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just did some research into the new Ranger. I did a build and price on what I would want (XL Supercab with dif lock, keyless entry/alarm, tow package and cloth and carpet). It came out to $34,555 CDN. That’s $25,951 USD at todays exchange. Similarly equiped Tacomas here run $48,000 plus. A TuRD PRO is $59,000 here. for $15,000 less, I'd take a close look at the Ford. Hate to say it, but its true. The Ranger is rated at 7500 lbs for towing as well, which is pretty sporty in my mind, but it should handle my 5000 lb loads pretty well.

Clutch

<---Pass
I kinda agree, around the late 90' into the '00's seems like the real sweet spot for Toyota's. I'm sure that overlaps on certain models and engines in both directions.

I feel silly about it, but part of me wants to sell my '00 Runner and find a LC100 of the same vintage. Everything tells me a LC100 will suck more gas, and probably be a little more trouble to fix, and my Runner has it's rough spots but it super clean mechanically, no rust. One hell of a truck for having 260k miles on it. Guess I'd be kinda dumb to get a LC100 to throw my muddy MTN bike in the back of and haul my butt to work and back every day when the Runner does that perfectly, but darn those LC's just look so cool.

The Tundra is arguably one of the better 1/2 tons on the market (my opinion of course) and the 4runner is the most robust, overbuilt BOF midsized SUV you can get currently (again my opinion).

Don't think the new ones are bad either. I like the interior on the 3rd gens, but the rest of the truck is just "ok" to me. Dropping $35-40K on something that is just "ok" doesn't sit well with me. Find myself turning my nose up at about all the new vehicles. They are all nice, but kinda "meh". I go sit in them and test drive them...and think $35-40K for this!? ummm...ok??? I know there is inflation and all...but the little 5X8 trailer I bought 18 years ago, and paid $1000, that same trailer today, brand new sells for $1300...it isn't all inflation, ya know. These new vehicles, you're paying for a bunch of added on **************** that I don't want or need.

Also have a '02 Trooper with "only" 120K miles on it, is super cherry, since we "might" put only 2000-3000 miles on it a year...that vehicle is pretty solid. When I can't get parts for it, is when I'll probably give up on that one. Only thing I have done, was put a new starter and battery in it.

Looking at the teaser pic though, it just looks like new headlights.... Maybe a new front bumper fascia and taillights will also show up?

Nope, just a couple add-ons and that was it. Imagine when they do get around to a refresh it will be even uglier...given what Toyota's design language has become. It is like a contest between manufactures of who can make the ugliest vehicle.

If you are bout to retire, I’d think hard on it. In theory, retirement means a drop in income. Maybe not the best time to make a big purchase. The extra time will allow you to maintain the older vehicle, if you (like me) enjoy that.

I should use the term "retire" loosely, will still have a means of making money, but want to retire from my current career. Will work from the house and no longer have to commute...so don't really need a new vehicle then either, like you said...have plenty of time to tinker.

At least that is the plan, but you know what they say about the best laid plans! ;) We will see...

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I just did some research into the new Ranger. I did a build and price on what I would want (XL Supercab with dif lock, keyless entry/alarm, tow package and cloth and carpet). It came out to $34,555 CDN. That’s $25,951 USD at todays exchange. Similarly equiped Tacomas here run $48,000 plus. A TuRD PRO is $59,000 here. for $15,000 less, I'd take a close look at the Ford. Hate to say it, but its true. The Ranger is rated at 7500 lbs for towing as well, which is pretty sporty in my mind, but it should handle my 5000 lb loads pretty well.

I'm in the same boat. The Ranger looks pretty appealing. I wish you could get a height adjustable seat in the lower trim levels though.

Curious to see what pricing is like on the Gladiator too. I'm thing a sport model with the V6 / auto. I believe it's rated to tow 7,650 lbs.

Depending on the trailer we end up with, I may need a 3/4 ton though, lol....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm in the same boat. The Ranger looks pretty appealing. I wish you could get a height adjustable seat in the lower trim levels though.

Curious to see what pricing is like on the Gladiator too. I'm thing a sport model with the V6 / auto. I believe it's rated to tow 7,650 lbs.

The one I priced was pretty basic, but that’s what I want in a truck. Less stuff to go wrong. I’m not in the market, but after driving the Taco, I might take a look at the Ranger just so I can help people spend their cash!

As for the Gladiator, I’d be shocked if it wasn’t priced north of an equivalent Taco. It’s a Wrangler pickup after all! (Said with exaggerated enthusiasm)

Edit: Last mention of the Glad-he-ate-er was your post on Jan 9th. Doesn’t seem to be giddy schoolgirl type excitement in the Jeep sub-forum.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The one I priced was pretty basic, but that’s what I want in a truck. Less stuff to go wrong.
Exactly. I was looking at basic 300A xlt's. I found by the time I added stuff like the FX4 packacge, bed utility package and tow package to an XL, it was pretty close to xlt money.

I won't be in the market for years. But, always fun to poke around.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Depending on your plans, the FX4 is a bit of a waste. You can get the dif locker separate, and I would probably do a mild lift and tires anyway, so for me the XL with added locker makes more sense.

Edit: I had to go to two different places on either side of the local Furd dealer today and I stopped in for a quick look. The Ranger (4 door FX4 in gold) was pretty nice. Fit and finish was good, and it’s way roomier feeling than the Taco. The black leather in the Ford had gray A pillars and head liner. That and more glass everywhere contributes to a much brighter cab, even without a sunroof. 5’ beds are too short in my opinion. They didn’t have a Supercab with 6’ bed in yet. I didn’t drive it, but I can’t imagine the power train being any more mundane than the Tacomas, and it apparently has the quickest 0-60 time in its class. Because that’s a big selling point to truck buyers...

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer

No reason to "hate to say it", the Ford is simply better. The taco is the same frame for 15 years now and it still has drum brakes. The new "changes" are just lipstick on a pig. The taco needs a redo badly.

bkg

Explorer
No reason to "hate to say it", the Ford is simply better. The taco is the same frame for 15 years now and it still has drum brakes. The new "changes" are just lipstick on a pig. The taco needs a redo badly.

Them’s fighten works for some!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz