Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Not bad. If you add in what I did, you'd be +$1k, which puts it fairly close to the DC. I like the vinyl floor option, though. I don't think the DC has it.

Ford did it right with the separate front bumper cover to the upper fascia piece. Looks so much better than the awkward-looking Tacoma (in the non-painted SR trim). I bet the optional BLIS (BSM) is integrated into the tail-light (like the F150), which makes so much more sense than Toyota stuffing it into the bumper. What horrible placement (and one I should have done a little more research on before purchase).

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, I'm sure most of you know, but I just got back into civilization from a visit to Idaho.

We would like to keep it that way too, though the Kalifornians are trying their damnest to ruin it... :D

Not bad. If you add in what I did, you'd be +$1k, which puts it fairly close to the DC. I like the vinyl floor option, though. I don't think the DC has it.

Ford did it right with the separate front bumper cover to the upper fascia piece. Looks so much better than the awkward-looking Tacoma (in the non-painted SR trim). I bet the optional BLIS (BSM) is integrated into the tail-light (like the F150), which makes so much more sense than Toyota stuffing it into the bumper. What horrible placement (and one I should have done a little more research on before purchase).

Be real curious after these are out for awhile and Ford does their heavy discounts. Something Toyota refuses to do. A SR 4 banger would work for me, but I am not paying $30K for one. Since they dropped the manual trans and made the auto mandatory...I can't find a brand new one less than $30K.

I am liking the looks of the Ranger much better, a lot less machismo than the Tacoma. Even though Toyota now incorporated the bumper into the front fascia, their bumpers have been worthless for years. Either super thin metal or plastic. The one on my 1st gen was joke, as they were on the '92 and '85 too...

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
We would like to keep it that way too, though the Kalifornians are trying their damnest to ruin it... :D

Man, I went up that way to get away from all the smog and fumes from the Utah fires. Only to get up there....to the smoke and fumes from the fires up there. Maybe it was smoke from Cali fires as well. :ROFLMAO:

Clutch

<---Pass
Man, I went up that way to get away from all the smog and fumes from the Utah fires. Only to get up there....to the smoke and fumes from the fires up there. Maybe it was smoke from Cali fires as well. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah it is bad. It started with the Oregon fires...then the Cali fires added to it...Monday was kinda clear...but yesterday was awful couldn't even see the mountains. We have 5 seasons here. Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer, and Smoke...

This was from Monday, can kinda see the band of smoke on the horizon.

39101836_10156640390499630_6496016646539313152_n.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
...Be real curious after these are out for awhile and Ford does their heavy discounts. Something Toyota refuses to do. A SR 4 banger would work for me, but I am not paying $30K for one. Since they dropped the manual trans and made the auto mandatory...I can't find a brand new one less than $30K.

I am liking the looks of the Ranger much better, a lot less machismo than the Tacoma. Even though Toyota now incorporated the bumper into the front fascia, their bumpers have been worthless for years. Either super thin metal or plastic. The one on my 1st gen was joke, as they were on the '92 and '85 too...

I just love the a la carte options Ford has on these. What I've optioned out above, if I could get that on an SR Taco, would be awesome.

I would've liked to see a V6 in these as well, though. Maybe the 3.3L that's in the F150's.

Clutch

<---Pass
I just love the a la carte options Ford has on these. What I've optioned out above, if I could get that on an SR Taco, would be awesome.

I would've liked to see a V6 in these as well, though. Maybe the 3.3L that's in the F150's.

That is what I don't care about Toyota, how they package their trucks. SR V6 manual trans, with the ultility package (basically their rear seat delete, but at a $1700 savings over the Ford's $240). Is how I would like it, but...

I know how they package their trucks, is a "trimming the fat" approach from the manufacture's perspective. Cause dirt bag buyers don't make them money. As we seldom buy brand new vehicles anyways.

That NA 3.3 would be a very nice option for us luddites that fear turbo's. While no specs are released yet on the Ranger's 2.3 Ecoboost....it does look promising as the Mustang has 350 ft/lbs of TQ.

With incentives, if the price could be knocked down to the $25K mark...would be one hell of a deal.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I’d use it, have been out 17 nights so far this year...still don’t know if those things are worth $20K. Don’t get much square footage for the dollar.

Got to hang out with my buddy this weekend in his $2000 dollar popup trailer and his $6700 V8 4Runner...under $10K. Popup was spacious, packs up small for towing. Kinda nice to have the vehicle separate to run to town.

They are on the road for 2 more months....

I'm in to my set up less than $10,000 including tires and maintenance and this trailer spread out over 7 years....still pulls 20-21mpg unloaded with 265/75r16s and 17ish with the trailer. Kind of considering a new Frontier Pro-4x with a manual since it really is the last simple truck but my current set up keeps on working so well. A wee bit more power would be nice but for the cost of this set up I can also own my dd accord with 24k miles and still be $10,000 less than the Frontier.....
28514699_10155486769536483_207615065404628079_o.jpg26240604_10155355037451483_2204148154686774433_o.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm in to my set up less than $10,000 including tires and maintenance and this trailer spread out over 7 years....still pulls 20-21mpg unloaded with 265/75r16s and 17ish with the trailer. Kind of considering a new Frontier Pro-4x with a manual since it really is the last simple truck but my current set up keeps on working so well. A wee bit more power would be nice but for the cost of this set up I can also own my dd accord with 24k miles and still be $10,000 less than the Frontier.....
View attachment 466230View attachment 466231

I look at all the options out there....and think what problems would it solve, and is it worth "X" amount of dollars to solve those problems? Time and time again, think it isn't worth it. Really hard for me to spend money on something with having stuff that has long been paid for...and most of those so called problems really aren't problems at all...mainly it is a case of the want-sees, and that is it. "Ohhh, that is nice!...then look at the price...it ain't that nice..." if you know what I mean.

bkg

Explorer

In a hotel in Palo Alto.. about 6 blocks from a mcclaren dealer (******???)... looking forward to leaving.

Clutch

<---Pass
In a hotel in Palo Alto.. about 6 blocks from a mcclaren dealer (******???)... looking forward to leaving.

My ex-wife is from Cupertino, nice and all. But I am not into that whole status thing. (obviously) I feel very comfortable in podunk Idaho in my beat-up old truck. While yeah they are trying to Kalifornianize parts of it here...most of the Cali transplants I meet are trying to escape the madness over there. Though what makes it great to live here, will probably get it ruined...which it kinda already has.

phsycle

Adventurer
That is what I don't care about Toyota, how they package their trucks. SR V6 manual trans, with the ultility package (basically their rear seat delete, but at a $1700 savings over the Ford's $240). Is how I would like it, but...

I know how they package their trucks, is a "trimming the fat" approach from the manufacture's perspective. Cause dirt bag buyers don't make them money. As we seldom buy brand new vehicles anyways.

That NA 3.3 would be a very nice option for us luddites that fear turbo's. While no specs are released yet on the Ranger's 2.3 Ecoboost....it does look promising as the Mustang has 350 ft/lbs of TQ.

With incentives, if the price could be knocked down to the $25K mark...would be one hell of a deal.

I bet you could get it down to $25k, especially if you know someone who can get you a "fleet" deal.

Clutch

<---Pass
I bet you could get it down to $25k, especially if you know someone who can get you a "fleet" deal.

Prolly could. Betting if you wait a year after initial hype...should be able to find some deals.

Though you can run out right now and buy a F150 for that price. Toss on a high rise camper shell and call it good.

Ford F150.jpg

bkg

Explorer
My ex-wife is from Cupertino, nice and all. But I am not into that whole status thing. (obviously) I feel very comfortable in podunk Idaho in my beat-up old truck. While yeah they are trying to Kalifornianize parts of it here...most of the Cali transplants I meet are trying to escape the madness over there. Though what makes it great to live here, will probably get it ruined...which it kinda already has.

Poverty level in Palo Alto... $107K/year for family of 4... :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online