Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Back up camera, fancy headunit, Bluetooth hook up, navigation, LED Tactical Overland lighting..... look what you've become....

:D

Clutch

<---Pass
Back up camera, fancy headunit, Bluetooth hook up, navigation, LED Tactical Overland lighting..... look what you've become....

:D
Ha ha!

Really don't like the look of after market head units. Was going to get a Blue Tooth converter for my existing stock radio. But whole head units aren't that much more.

Was going to try to run everything through the phone, but that looks even more janky when they are on a stalk.

Might even break down and buy some new seats. Looking at Corbeau.

https://corbeau.com/gts-ii.html

Wish they offered the GTS II with lower thigh bolsters like the Sheel-Mann.

http://scheel-mann.com/seats/traveler

phsycle

Adventurer
Ha ha!

Really don't like the look of after market head units. Was going to get a Blue Tooth converter for my existing stock radio. But whole head units aren't that much more.

Was going to try to run everything through the phone, but that looks even more janky when they are on a stalk.

Might even break down and buy some new seats. Looking at Corbeau.

https://corbeau.com/gts-ii.html

Wish they offered the GTS II with lower thigh bolsters like the Sheel-Mann.

http://scheel-mann.com/seats/traveler

Do you like those seats? I liked those Corbeau's, but only for short drives. Can't move in those things! Great for car racing, but I like shift a bit on longer drives.

Clutch

<---Pass
Do you like those seats? I liked those Corbeau's, but only for short drives. Can't move in those things! Great for car racing, but I like shift a bit on longer drives.
I do, had a set similar in my ‘92 that we’re out of an Acura.

Only thing I don’t like is the high thigh bolsters. Pain if you get in and out a lot, which I do. Would have to go their Sport seat for that reason. The Sheel-Mann’s look fricken sweet...but those aren’t exactly cheap.

861A490D-4A4E-4192-8830-E051E3C32073.jpeg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I feel claustrophobic in those racing seats. I think the best seats I've sat in are Land Cruiser seats. Nice and plush. Or 4Runner Limited.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I spent so many years with a fixed back Sparco that I actually miss them now. The 2nd gen Taco seats are unbearably awful.

Those Corbeau's are nearly identical to the Recaro's my old man put in his BJ60, and they're so comfy. I wouldn't hesitate picking up a set if I could work out the airbag bypass stuff. (I'm sure there's a way, just haven't looked into it)

Clutch

<---Pass
I feel claustrophobic in those racing seats. I think the best seats I've sat in are Land Cruiser seats. Nice and plush. Or 4Runner Limited.
I have looked and looked for 4Runner Limited seats over the years, darn near impossible to find...or you do find them, and they are sold in a heartbeat.

Ordered some ballistic seat covers for now. Should be here today, might be enough to hold me over.

https://www.autoanything.com/seat-covers/75A4643A0A0.aspx

I spent so many years with a fixed back Sparco that I actually miss them now. The 2nd gen Taco seats are unbearably awful.

Those Corbeau's are nearly identical to the Recaro's my old man put in his BJ60, and they're so comfy. I wouldn't hesitate picking up a set if I could work out the airbag bypass stuff. (I'm sure there's a way, just haven't looked into it)

Almost ordered a set, had them in the check out cart, dunno...couldn't bring myself to hit "Pay Now" Think I will destroy the thigh bolster getting in and out. May end up with the Sports, since they are more practical. That and the shape is similar to my stock seats...the new covers "should" fit the Corbeau's if I decide to get them.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I think that's the big issue. Having a low car, with a cage to grab onto, where you literally sit down into the seat, is a lot easier than having to pull yourself up and over that bolster. That's really my only complaint with the BJ60. It's a chore, especially when you're my size.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think that's the big issue. Having a low car, with a cage to grab onto, where you literally sit down into the seat, is a lot easier than having to pull yourself up and over that bolster. That's really my only complaint with the BJ60. It's a chore, especially when you're my size.
The way it is now the seats are at perfect ass height. Would have to pull up and over to clear it. See that getting old real fricken quick.

The Sheel-Mann Traveler F is about perfect...just can't see myself spending $3000 for a pair of seats. hmmmm....I wonder if Corbeau is willing to shave the foam similar to the Sheel's...or maybe an upholstery shop could do it.

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
I had tall bolster racing seats in the 1991 for a while. I hated them with a passion, I'd hit my head on the roof getting in every danged time.

I scored a set of sport buckets from a 4Runner, adjustable tilt, kidney wings, tilting head rest, adjustable lumbar. Those were pretty nice, although the foam was a little too soft and the lumbar knob being on the inside interfered with the Tuffy console.

IMG_4088_mid.jpg

IMG_4089_mid.jpg

The 2nd gen TRD Tacoma seats are OK, I don't really find them that much less comfortable although having the tilting lower cushion would be nice. They fit me better than the Forester seats, although the material and foam in those is better the lower section is too short for my legs on long trips.

phsycle

Adventurer
What's the consensus on Softoppers? I think I have asked this before, but can't remember. Now I'm debating this again. I sometimes have to haul things that would not fit inside a shell (even high rise). I wish there were an uber light shell available. So maybe 25% of the time, I'd need the topper off. Rest, it would stay on the truck. I just hate the hassle of taking the shell on and off, and I really don't even have room to store it. (no, @Clutch, trailer idea is a no go! Again, storage. :D)

I'm not fond of the looks of the Softopper, but it would do what I'd need. Security is not an issue. I'd get rid of the stupid vinyl windows and replace them with solid canvas inserts (they sell this separately).

Someone mold me an 80lb carbon fiber shell. Don't need windows, keep the weight down. Don't need to stow anything up top, so no need for brute reinforcements.

bkg

Explorer
What's the consensus on Softoppers? I think I have asked this before, but can't remember. Now I'm debating this again. I sometimes have to haul things that would not fit inside a shell (even high rise). I wish there were an uber light shell available. So maybe 25% of the time, I'd need the topper off. Rest, it would stay on the truck. I just hate the hassle of taking the shell on and off, and I really don't even have room to store it. (no, @Clutch, trailer idea is a no go! Again, storage. :D)

I'm not fond of the looks of the Softopper, but it would do what I'd need. Security is not an issue. I'd get rid of the stupid vinyl windows and replace them with solid canvas inserts (they sell this separately).

Someone mold me an 80lb carbon fiber shell. Don't need windows, keep the weight down. Don't need to stow anything up top, so no need for brute reinforcements.

Had one on my last 1st gen doublecab. Sold it. Mostly because of fit... I'd do a Can-Back if they still make them; I like their framework better.

phsycle

Adventurer
Had one on my last 1st gen doublecab. Sold it. Mostly because of fit... I'd do a Can-Back if they still make them; I like their framework better.
Canback's look nice, but two things going against it. Price, and more complicated to fold up (and doesn't fold back like the Softopper).

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
Can-Back is still around. I've on and off thought about getting a Softopper. My problem with them is there is zero security. For the price I can buy a plain cheap-o aluminum contractor topper with a locking door and at least the comfort that a thief would need at least a sizable screwdriver to rip the aluminum open. I'm not sure an aluminum topper isn't just as light, too.