Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I like the 4Runner 5-spokes, too. I considered trying to collect a set but ended up with 5 more stock spare steel wheels like the one Toyota strapped on under the bed to replace my TRD Offroad stock alloys. In the end I think steel wheels are going to be better for me. It bugs me to see rock scars on my fancy wheels, which is why I've always run something more-or-less disposable in the past. People aren't proud of stock 16" Tacoma spares and as a take-off with a perfectly useful tire that when you collect 5 can be sold (minus the $5 Discount charges to dismount) for what you paid for the wheel to the begin with. I got a total of 6 and made like $20. The key is a BFG Long Trail 265/70R16 by itself is almost worth nothing. However having 5 of them with no miles on them makes them quite easy to sell on Craigslist...

Clutch

<---Pass
My favorite Toyota wheels. Put them on my last 1st gen after stripping and refinishing a set I got cheap. Make it so!!!
Mine too! Guy is supposed to be back in town on the 28th, will find out then.

Think they originally came on the T-100 (right Dave?)

Have looked for 16" steelies, but can't seem to find them on CL here. Guess I could go scour the salavage yards. The 6 spoke 16's I bought only paid $50 for...a guy bought them for his 1st gen Tundra and they didn't work...I wasn't about to tell him that you need wheel spacers to run them on a Tundra. I couldn't get them in the back of the truck fast enough.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
And BTW, when I say cheap steelies, I mean the cheapest. It took about 6 months of on-again, off-again casual CL shopping to get a full set of rust-free, non-dry rot ones. Even new these are maybe $100 from Toyota, so all about function.

stl69482u45-1_mid.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Maybe, I just know them as 3rd gen 4Runner 5-spoke from Limited and Sport.
DAVE! Your Toyota savantism is slipping! How dare you use google! :p

And BTW, when I say cheap steelies, I mean the cheapest. It took about 6 months of on-again, off-again casual CL shopping to get a full set of rust-free, non-dry rot ones. Even new these are maybe $100 from Toyota, so all about function.

View attachment 461449

Yep, those are the ones I am looking for. Had to toss my spare on a while back...and thought to myself...that does look good. But I just can't...that is so expo overland typical to do...think if I did do them I would have to paint them silver, just to be a little different. Or maybe even body color. Don't see that often on Tacomas with round hole steelies ...usually they are black.

Clutch

<---Pass
Another picture from Thailand. (she has a crap load of pics, I am only posting a few)

Here is one for the next payload debate...

37412316_10216076710326835_5029609786849624064_n.jpg

This area is mostly of Chinese descent, so most of the architecture and food is.

37392128_10216076710566841_3068871724901597184_n.jpg

37378045_10216076713406912_2722616228911775744_n.jpg

37423493_10216076714166931_846619108664410112_n.jpg

This is a compound of a deceased drug lord of the herion trade. Which is now a museum.

37379702_10216076716326985_1193630737941659648_n.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
They are heading to Myanmar (Burma) tomorrow, unsure about cell and Wifi service...might have radio silence form her for about a week.

Good time for the Top Gear Burma episode.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer

Yep, those are the ones I am looking for. Had to toss my spare on a while back...and thought to myself...that does look good. But I just can't...that is so expo overland typical to do...think if I did do them I would have to paint them silver, just to be a little different. Or maybe even body color. Don't see that often on Tacomas with round hole steelies ...usually they are black.

100% agreed here. The 5-star's look good.....on a 4Runner or 1st Gen Sequoia. Not so much on a truck. I would definitely get steelies and you can paint them whatever color. I think this would rejuvenate your love for your old truck again.

A guy on this Youtube channel has a sweet T100. Love the slate/gray steel wheels.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw3uWDQOdjgUG-WLZdMn8I3x&ust=1532209044481387

Clutch

<---Pass
100% agreed here. The 5-star's look good.....on a 4Runner or 1st Gen Sequoia. Not so much on a truck. I would definitely get steelies and you can paint them whatever color. I think this would rejuvenate your love for your old truck again.

A guy on this Youtube channel has a sweet T100. Love the slate/gray steel wheels.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjSw6DV0a7cAhXsV98KHXrjD5sQjhx6BAgBEAM&url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/497295983837243234/&psig=AOvVaw3uWDQOdjgUG-WLZdMn8I3x&ust=1532209044481387

If I got some use steelies...may not even paint them. My truck is old and worn with battle scars. Freshly painted rims may look out of place. When I had my spare on, what I like about it was, the paint is faded with a little bit of rust, plus being dirty. Looked right at home on the old beater. That and I like my stuff kinda worn looking. Less afraid to actually use it too.

What is funny since I rarely wash my truck...the few times I do that is all I need for it to feel rejuvenated. For some reason it feels like it drives better after I wash it...must be a mind trick thing.

Ok fellas...I was chastised by a friend calling wheels "rims".

In my mind a rim plus a tire makes a wheel.

What do you call them?

phsycle

Adventurer
If I got some use steelies...may not even paint them. My truck is old and worn with battle scars. Freshly painted rims may look out of place. When I had my spare on, what I like about it was, the paint is faded with a little bit of rust, plus being dirty. Looked right at home on the old beater. That and I like my stuff kinda worn looking. Less afraid to actually use it too.

What is funny since I rarely wash my truck...the few times I do that is all I need for it to feel rejuvenated. For some reason it feels like it drives better after I wash it...must be a mind trick thing.

What do you call them?

Eh, doesn’t matter. I’m sure you’ll wear them in in no time.

These would look pretty sweet as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15x6-Silve..._sop=15&_nkw=steel+rims+6x5.5&_from=R40&rt=nc

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

What do you call them?
Rims are at least 20" diameter and bathed in chrome, sounds like that would look good on your truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior