Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
Now yer just being weird. :p
Only way to be!

Used to be into hot rods and muscle cars. Always wanted to do up a vintage truck and an Alaskan.

Trust me it would kewl...

images

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
$20k. Buy a taco close to 100k miles and throw a Flippac on it because that was my budget and what I did. I actually was looking for a frontier but there aren't many of them with access cabs and somehow they are more beat than Tacomas.

@Clutch Your wife's trip sounds intense. I was fortunate enough to go to Cambodia in 2001 when I was 17. It's was the poorest non African country at the time. I will never forget standing on a road with human teeth coming out of the dirt. It definitely makes problems seem trivial.

Clutch

<---Pass
@Clutch Your wife's trip sounds intense. I was fortunate enough to go to Cambodia in 2001 when I was 17. It's was the poorest non African country at the time. I will never forget standing on a road with human teeth coming out of the dirt. It definitely makes problems seem trivial.

tacollie, I can’t even imagine...

She leaves next week. Gets to go to Burma too. Which is fairly rare for Westerners. Reading up on the civil rights violations and continuing genocide there. Yes, makes our 1st World problems rather frivolous.

Great opportunity, but I gotta say I am a little nervous.

Last edited:

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I'd like a FWC for the same reason you listed. Problem is if I'm honest with myself I would only use it 4 times a year, just not enough to justify 20k IMO.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think we'd use it quite often, however I don't have a place to store it and I don't want to leave it on the truck full time. The price on them is out of my league though too, especially as I'm in Canada. A 2015 in BC recently sold for over $30,000 Canadian. My personal ceiling for spending on a truck camper is $10K....

I could get away with a trailer or something, except that most of our camping trips involve fishing therefore I need to be able to tow a boat.

Clutch

<---Pass
The better half sent some pictures from Thailand. Sent a video too, saw some Hiluxes, but I can't seem to get it to work in here.

Looks to be Isuzu D-Max's set up as mini buses.

37062178_10216028333877454_7096914650360446976_n.jpg

They are in one of the bigger cities currently before they head up into the mountains and refugee camps.

8450F5BB-D5A0-4211-8B99-A2D0BDB16ACA.jpeg

37038464_10216026700076610_8636555542875078656_n.jpg

37113058_10216028253155436_7957117177214009344_n.jpg

37114280_10216026703956707_8561517928728494080_n.jpg

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
I accidentally(?) picked up a very clean 02 4Runner yesterday. Owned by a gent who owns RV dealerships in TN and FL. Very cool guy and as much a Toyota nerd as I am. Toytech, 4.88's w/ TruTrac, ARB Tacoma front, at least 100lbs in Dynamat... and stupid clean. Probably over paid, but he gave me a full flat-tow kit, including rear driveshaft w/ disconnect, as part of the deal...

Now to pull in some CL revenue so I can justify making some (minor) mods. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
I accidentally(?) picked up a very clean 02 4Runner yesterday. Owned by a gent who owns RV dealerships in TN and FL. Very cool guy and as much a Toyota nerd as I am. Toytech, 4.88's w/ TruTrac, ARB Tacoma front, at least 100lbs in Dynamat... and stupid clean. Probably over paid, but he gave me a full flat-tow kit, including rear driveshaft w/ disconnect, as part of the deal...

Now to pull in some CL revenue so I can justify making some (minor) mods. :D

Sweet! What mods are you planning?

I am sticking to keep on fixing what I have already.

Here is what on the plate here soon.

Have a line on some 16" 5 spoke 4Runner wheels, but the guy is out of town for another week or so. Have another set of 16's...but my snow tires are on them. Can't find the size in the tread pattern I want for the 15's the are one the truck currently. Since I am doing so many highway miles now, want a better road tire for the next set. But, no one really makes asphalt oriented tire in a 32X15/11.5. So need to go with a 265/75/16. Have a set of Kumho AT51's on there now. Which were great but are do for replacing here soon. Going to try the HT51 next. that or the Yokohama H/T G056.

My Camburg coil overs are leaking again...think I am going to get a set of OME's instead of rebuilding this go around. Cheaper to rebuild the coil-overs, but I am kinda over them. Kinda loosing count how times I have done the suspension on this truck. Have to wait to install them, ended up spraining my right ankle and cracking my collar bone when my buddy was here over the 4th. Foot swelled up like a balloon, black and blue from my shin to my toes. From my right shoulder and whole peck is black and blue too. Be the 5th sprain on that ankle and the second break for the collar bone.

He rented a dirt bike, so I was showing him around. We were finishing up a 100 mile loop, he was getting tired and wanted to head back to camp. So I asked do you want to ride trail or dirt road..."lets take it easy and just do the road" Ok, road it is! Lets just chill back to camp. Nice and easy I said...

Was coming around a blind corner... a FS truck [F450] was coming up the trail...he took up the whole thing. So it was either pitch it off the side of the road...go crashing through the trees, stumps and rocks, or head-on the truck...or hit the dirt. So I hit the dirt. Out of commission for awhile.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Pics of HiLuxes are rolling in.

Does she know me or what!? Said they are all over the place there.

37293345_10216045998319054_8099357672194703360_n.jpg

Looks like the locals prefer an even more basic 4WD than I do... :D

37286963_10216046015079473_4106491821675249664_n.jpg

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
$20 grand? I already have two vehicles that come in well under that together that do what I need. Keep in mind that I don't really care about a powerful engine. I prefer life in the slow lane, you enjoy the scenery more that way.
First is an '89 Toyota 4cylinder pickup and the other is a '77 FJ40 that has been in the family for 20 plus years (yes, I'm lucky). The 40 is completely stock and the pickup is about as modified as an early ifs truck can be. Throw in my Kodiak canvas tent and I am camping luxuriously wherever I go. Wouldn't hesitate to take either rig across the country.
I am the guy that prefers the simplicity of a reliable motor, a manual transmission, and manual windows and doesn't need a/c. Luxuries just take away from the trip (at least that's what I tell myself)

IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG
Although; since these two vehicles are paid for, my next vehicle will be a first gen Tundra with a moderate Old Man Emu lift, possibly an ARB rear locker, some sliders, and a high rise camper shell with a sleeping platform or older slide in pop up camper. Even with this setup I would have money left over to take the mini truck to the next level and then use the Tundra to tow either the pickup or the Landcruiser (albeit slowly) to the trails the Tundra won't go on, and still camp comfortably. But in the meantime, I am perfectly happy with my two rigs that split daily driving duties.

bkg

Explorer
Sweet! What mods are you planning?

I am sticking to keep on fixing what I have already.

Here is what on the plate here soon.

Have a line on some 16" 5 spoke 4Runner wheels, but the guy is out of town for another week or so. Have another set of 16's...but my snow tires are on them. Can't find the size in the tread pattern I want for the 15's the are one the truck currently. Since I am doing so many highway miles now, want a better road tire for the next set. But, no one really makes asphalt oriented tire in a 32X15/11.5. So need to go with a 265/75/16. Have a set of Kumho AT51's on there now. Which were great but are do for replacing here soon. Going to try the HT51 next. that or the Yokohama H/T G056.

My Camburg coil overs are leaking again...think I am going to get a set of OME's instead of rebuilding this go around. Cheaper to rebuild the coil-overs, but I am kinda over them. Kinda loosing count how times I have done the suspension on this truck. Have to wait to install them, ended up spraining my right ankle and cracking my collar bone when my buddy was here over the 4th. Foot swelled up like a balloon, black and blue from my shin to my toes. From my right shoulder and whole peck is black and blue too. Be the 5th sprain on that ankle and the second break for the collar bone.

The highlighted is similar to the wiring and brakes on my xtracab… ive' tried 9 MC's...

4runner Mods will be 100% dependent... well... 90% dependent... at least 62% dependent on what I can unload on craigslist... trying to NOT spend on this thing.

First mod is a double-din HU. I *HATE* single din stereos. So picked up a fairly inexpensive unit with Car Play based on recommendation of a buddy. That and backup camera are first. Yes... I like backup cameras.

Then likely throw the FJ Cruiser wheels/tires from the Doublecab (285/75-16) on... Doublecab will go back to stock SR5 wheels... tires TBD. 4runner currently has 16x10 wheels w/ 275/70-16's...

Eventually - winch will go into the ARB bumper... Sliders will appear... Rear bumper potentially (just not a fan of chrome).... But all of that is only going to happen if I can self-fund it.

Attachments

• 20180714_185221873_iOS.jpg
    20180714_185221873_iOS.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33

Clutch

<---Pass
Is that steam from a hot spring?

They are in the area, but no...that was the morning after raging thunderstorms from the day before.

It fricken poured down like no other. With the Wildernest, it sounded like I was inside a pot making popcorn for I dunno 6-7 hours straight. Just when I think it couldn't rain any harder...thunder would clap...and down it came even harder. Weather like that is when I am wishing for a hard roof camper or travel trailer.

The highlighted is similar to the wiring and brakes on my xtracab… ive' tried 9 MC's...

4runner Mods will be 100% dependent... well... 90% dependent... at least 62% dependent on what I can unload on craigslist... trying to NOT spend on this thing.

First mod is a double-din HU. I *HATE* single din stereos. So picked up a fairly inexpensive unit with Car Play based on recommendation of a buddy. That and backup camera are first. Yes... I like backup cameras.

Then likely throw the FJ Cruiser wheels/tires from the Doublecab (285/75-16) on... Doublecab will go back to stock SR5 wheels... tires TBD. 4runner currently has 16x10 wheels w/ 275/70-16's...

Eventually - winch will go into the ARB bumper... Sliders will appear... Rear bumper potentially (just not a fan of chrome).... But all of that is only going to happen if I can self-fund it.

Nice Runner!

Yeah, it seems I am constantly dicking with the suspension...and I don't overload or drive like an ignoramus.

Kewl. I like backup cameras, rented a couple cars over the last year, they had them, was great for parallel parking in the city, annnd...be awfully handy for hooking up my trailer. Though, I have been using trailers for so many years now...I can get it pretty close just by feel. Not braggin' but just one of my many many useless talents. :):D

I still have the stock head unit in the Taco...went through the "good" stereo phase in my '92...amps subwoofers type of thing...after it was broken into twice. I quit doing that. Do have a hidden adaptor to run an iPod that interfaces with the 6 discs changer controls...the iPod I have had since 2005 finally died...now just using my phone, which plugs into a 3mm jack. Blue tooth sure would be nice, and a backup camera, I have thought about it upgrading.

You reminded me, I need to sell off a bunch of crap on CL and eBay...can't seem to get around to it.

Hoping those 5 spoke 4Runner wheels don't fall through...have been casually looking for that style for awhile, seems like every time I go to buy a set, they bought out from under me. Thought of getting a set of 3rd gen OR wheels...there are always a couple few sets on CL. But think the 5 spoke will fit the era of the truck better.

Not my truck, but you get the idea.

IMG_022716.JPG

If the wheels fall through, might do a set of steelies...but seem cliche these days...ya know what I mean. I remember when everyone hated them...now it is an EXPO must have!

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
My favorite Toyota wheels. Put them on my last 1st gen after stripping and refinishing a set I got cheap. Make it so!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier