Clunk when shifting from R to D

brasgaucho

Hello,

I've searched a couple other threads on this topic but there seem to be varying possible problems...
Before I purchased my current 2001 Land cruiser with 140k I test drove about 5 other LC and they all had the same clunk when shifting from R to D.
I also notice if I shift to N than and wait a bit than on D the clunk is less noticeable.
Should I just grease everything and drive the LC like I stole it, and don't worry about it or there's something else I can do ?

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
In my experience, that has been a U-joint. I had the same problem in an S-10 that I had back in 1996. It would clunk when I shifted from reverse to 1st, or vice-versa. I've never driven a LC, but I would think it was a U-joint. I do find it odd that all 5 trucks you drove would have the same issue. Now that I think about it, those vehicles are AWD correct? I wonder if it could just be normal driveline play, or chain play in the center diff?

Elk

Observer
Grease the jones out of the front driveshaft, drive for a day, then repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk

Observer
I have an '06 with 186k miles. The driveline thunk was substantial when I bought it 12k ago, but went away after greasing twice. A worn U-joint will generally not make a thunk, but rather a vibration that worsens as the wear progresses.

Benc

Explorer
It could also be worn out splines on the front axel and drive flange. This was my problem and my buddy had the same problem in his. Also be carful not to over grease the drive shaft!
To much grease will extend the drive shaft and cause the output shaft bearings to fail.

brasgaucho

Thanks for all the replies! I will grease, grease and grease. But, try not to over grease...
I will report back with results.

Elk

Observer
It could also be worn out splines on the front axel and drive flange. This was my problem and my buddy had the same problem in his.

I remembered reading this on Mud. Was it your driver's side CV?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke