Closed Thread - Proper Gun Transport - Closed on July 4th

doug720

Expedition Leader
Quite ironic (and sad) that a thread about how to legally transport firearms was closed in Independence Day! The day the commemorates the battle for independence that led to this Nations founding and the right to bear arms.

I'm not a big "Gun Guy", don't want to open carry, or have to show a gun, I don't own an AR, but I think people have the right to own and use guns, and to transport them in a legal manor, especially in the California, the state I live and the one with the most complicated and confusing gun laws. I was appreciative and informed on what is required to "Legally" transport a gun in CA, and leaned many assumptions and understandings were wrong.

Remember,The right to keep and bear arms is codified in the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and this thread was closed on July 4th...Ironic!

cups

Quite ironic (and sad) that a thread about how to legally transport firearms was closed in Independence Day! The day the commemorates the battle for independence that led to this Nations founding and the right to bear arms.

I'm not a big "Gun Guy", don't want to open carry, or have to show a gun, I don't own an AR, but I think people have the right to own and use guns, and to transport them in a legal manor, especially in the California, the state I live and the one with the most complicated and confusing gun laws. I was appreciative and informed on what is required to "Legally" transport a gun in CA, and leaned many assumptions and understandings were wrong.

Remember,The right to keep and bear arms is codified in the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and this thread was closed on July 4th...Ironic!

Thanks for pointing this out. I completely agree!!

Scott Brady

Founder
The thread was closed due to typical political and state bashing. If contributors cannot debate and discuss like gentleman, that is the result.

Much like our gun rights will likely be compromised due to ignorant and arrogant gun owners (i.e. open carrying your AR in Starbucks), so goes threads on this forum.

And before some response about how expo doesn't like guns, I am a veteran, daily carry and I am a staunch supporter of 2nd Amendment Rights. California is a reflection of its laws, which were instituted by a majority of its citizens. It is odd how people forget we live in a democracy. We do not protect our rights by having tantrums, we retain our rights through intelligent debate and influencing public opinion in a positive way. If you do not like California gun laws, then leave. Take your taxes elsewhere. (My entire family has moved from California to Arizona).

rayra

Expedition Leader
Anyone else have any questions or concerns about CA gun laws, go ahead and PM or email me. I've got 30yrs' experience with them and that includes successfully defending myself against improper charges twice. We can have our useful discussions another way / in another place.

Scott Brady

Founder
Have the discussion here. The only reason why the other thread was closed is because it took the typical politics, language, and bullying trail. Talk about California gun laws, but keep the discussion civil, intelligent and openminded. . .

screwball48

Explorer
When firearms and California are discussed it always turns to "military styled" firearms. What I never learn is how does California treat "hunting style" firearms (ie. bolt actions, revolvers, and pump shotguns)? If these firearms are being transported through California inside a locked container and separate from ammunition are there any special considerations to take into account?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Have the discussion here. The only reason why the other thread was closed is because it took the typical politics, language, and bullying trail. Talk about California gun laws, but keep the discussion civil, intelligent and openminded. . .

It's impossible without touching on politics as CA gun laws are predominantly driven by politics and thus having phobic heavy-handed moderation applied. I don't think it's possible to separate the two or maintain an illusion that they are separate.

rayra

Expedition Leader
When firearms and California are discussed it always turns to "military styled" firearms. What I never learn is how does California treat "hunting style" firearms (ie. bolt actions, revolvers, and pump shotguns)? If these firearms are being transported through California inside a locked container and separate from ammunition are there any special considerations to take into account?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CA's laws are predominantly divided into handgun and long gun, in terms of how they are to be stored, transported etc. The 'military style' are all semi-automatic but various cosmetic features and prior ban attempts have defined many of those as 'assault weapons' which are subject to more strict storage and transport, akin to handguns. And precluding their unregistered possession or importation into the state. There are a lot of loopholes in those rulings. Those can be researched at calguns.net which has the relevant legal decisions, bans, and even flow charts to help navigate their deliberately byzantine restrictions so a non-crimnal citizen of good intent can navigate the laws without running afoul of them. And even then the wrong officer and legal district may still persecute [sic] you.

EMrider

Explorer
To the contrary, it's incredibly simple to not bring politics into any discussion. The problem isn't politics, it's people who can't seem to have a conversation without injecting their feelings about politics into it. Those people aren't here to share useful information, they're here to try and make cheap points by arguing with anonymous people on the interweb.

There are specific laws that govern the transport of firearms into and within California, anyone who can't describe or discuss them without injecting politics into the discussion is simply unwilling to do so. People that are unwilling to play by the extremely easy rules that are imposed here shouldn't be allowed to post here. It's incredibly simple. It's unfortunate that a few people are too immature to share information without imparting their world view into every single ************* thing they write.

I wish it were different, but this slide away from information sharing into political hackery happens on many topics here.

A thread's usefulness is often a function of how quickly comments turn in a political direction.

A lot of CA gun laws don't suit my personal preference, but I have zero trouble understanding them and abiding by them.

Another common theme here is the frequent assertion that contemporary society/product quality/ethics/etc...are crap and that everything was better in some byegone golden era. Forget that on most objective criteria, things have never been better.

R

Scott Brady

Founder
It's impossible without touching on politics as CA gun laws are predominantly driven by politics and thus having phobic heavy-handed moderation applied. I don't think it's possible to separate the two or maintain an illusion that they are separate.

I disagree. It is the difference between discussing gun laws and discussing politics. Keeping political discussions civil on an internet forum is like watching 5-year-olds play on the swing set. . . It inevitably ends in screaming and gnashing of teeth.

Dalko43

Explorer
The thread was closed due to typical political and state bashing. If contributors cannot debate and discuss like gentleman, that is the result.

Much like our gun rights will likely be compromised due to ignorant and arrogant gun owners (i.e. open carrying your AR in Starbucks), so goes threads on this forum.

And before some response about how expo doesn't like guns, I am a veteran, daily carry and I am a staunch supporter of 2nd Amendment Rights. California is a reflection of its laws, which were instituted by a majority of its citizens. It is odd how people forget we live in a democracy. We do not protect our rights by having tantrums, we retain our rights through intelligent debate and influencing public opinion in a positive way. If you do not like California gun laws, then leave. Take your taxes elsewhere. (My entire family has moved from California to Arizona).

Not that I disagree with your point about keeping this discussion, or any discussion, civil, and perhaps I'm nitpicking here, but a democracy, as I understand it, is just as much about protecting the rights of a minority as it is about enforcing the will of a majority.

I was reminded of this famous quote when i read over this thread:

The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections.

—The History of Freedom in Antiquity, 1877

All that being said, I support the 2nd amendment, but name-calling and petty bickering doesn't help anyone's cause, certainly not gun owners'.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Well I disagree with that premise in the strongest possible terms, Scott, because the predominance of CA gun laws are driven by politics and have no technical merit. And certainly don't even meet their superficial purpose of reducing crime or protecting the children. In fact many of them - as just demonstrated by the L.A. City Council - criminalize otherwise law-abiding citizens who've been minding their own business under CA law for 15yrs. I am referring to their recent ban on magazines that CA State law says are still legal.

You and others can pretend there's no politics in it by discussing the letter of the law in a vacuum, as if it's a matter of celestial mechanics, like the sun rising. But the assertion that they are not intertwined and connected is baldfaced nonsense and I leave you to it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles