Climb and Crawl 2006- 5/19-21/06: Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMAN

Adventurer
Scotty,
Since Aaron dropped out, would it be ok if John (Offroader5) comes out with me Sat. AM in his Cherokee? No climbing for us... just crawling.

BMAN

Adventurer
Alright fellas I got all the waypoints and whatnot figured out. Seems to me that the trail in to camp should be easy enough to navigate with what I have so... the plan for me is to be rolling into camp relatively early on Saturday AM, say 7:30 or so. Looking at the topo maps it looks like there is a loop trail into Devils canyon that I'd like to run Saturday morning. Anyone who is planning on the "run" for Saturday pipe up so I have an idea of how many rigs we'll have. That is unless Scotty or Chris have a better idea for a trail. I've never been in the area so I have no real idea of what the loop actually looks like along the lines of dificulty but I am assuming it is passable by the markings on the topo maps.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
;)
BMAN said:
Alright fellas I got all the waypoints and whatnot figured out. Seems to me that the trail in to camp should be easy enough to navigate with what I have so... the plan for me is to be rolling into camp relatively early on Saturday AM, say 7:30 or so. Looking at the topo maps it looks like there is a loop trail into Devils canyon that I'd like to run Saturday morning. Anyone who is planning on the "run" for Saturday pipe up so I have an idea of how many rigs we'll have. That is unless Scotty or Chris have a better idea for a trail. I've never been in the area so I have no real idea of what the loop actually looks like along the lines of dificulty but I am assuming it is passable by the markings on the topo maps.

If it is 95+, i would prefer to do some wheeling with the AC on!

Maybe a dawn climb or something before you show and then head out to the trails?

I would like to try to squeeze in a bit of everything.

I am ok with playing it by ear. :camping:

Scott Brady

Founder
I have never been that route, but it could be fun. I always continue south at 6 and proceed to N33 14.917 W111 02.544 and turn west. Then you fork back north again around N33 14.807 W111 02.963, which will bring you back to the windmill. :rappel:

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, the schedule is VERY flexible this weekend. Climb if you want, trek if you want, 4wheel if you want, or even say to hell with it all and take a nap.

We will have slide shows at night, and maybe a DVD or two also.

BMAN

Adventurer
Willman said:
Wow......Nice map!!!!! Is that program better than google earth????

It's alright... I like Google earth too. This one is nice for creating maps with points of refference. The problem is that you can only put 10 points on any given map. The good thing is that I can bookmark any map I make and use it at a later date for posting up as a link like I did here.

Unfortunately this program does NOT have lat/long coords built in. I use USA Photomaps for mapping out my trips and pulling coords then just get it close with LiveLocal for posting on the net. Kinda a pain to use 2 programs but I've become pretty efficient at it.

USA Photomaps kicks ass because you can switch back and forth between BW pics and USGS topos at any time. The long term plan is to Run USAPM on my laptop with a GPS rec'vr hooked in to live track my progress directly over the BW images and Topos both.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
expeditionswest said:
Yeah, the schedule is VERY flexible this weekend. Climb if you want, trek if you want, 4wheel if you want, or even say to hell with it all and take a nap.

We will have slide shows at night, and maybe a DVD or two also.

Very Cool!

Question, do i have to worry about a co2 tank in the rig at these temps?

THanks

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yeah, I may have to be with you. I was really looking forward to Friday night but my client from Hong Kong is in town and I very seriously doubt I'll be out of here in time on Fri and may be working Saturday!!!!

:(

whitethaiger

Adventurer
BMAN said:
USA Photomaps kicks ass because you can switch back and forth between BW pics and USGS topos at any time. The long term plan is to Run USAPM on my laptop with a GPS rec'vr hooked in to live track my progress directly over the BW images and Topos both.

Sounds like that's exactly what I'm doing with OziExplorer. I also can switch to the NASA sat pics and have the 100K, 250K topos also. Sure is fun AND comes in handy when looking for trails. Has helped us on the Nevada Trophy and many other trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne