Climb and Crawl 2006- 5/19-21/06: Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Brady

Founder
We did this trip in 2005 and it was a blast. Three days in the mountains East of Superior doing some rock climbing and a fun 3 rated trail.

The schedule is very relaxed, but follows this general theme:

Friday 5/19: Drive into camp at Lower Devils Canyon at around Noon. Those who need to come later can get directions. One of my absolute favorite campsites looking over Devils Canyon. Loads of climbing routes in the area. Stuff for beginner on up to multi pitch routes. We will arrive in camp with enough time to get a few climbs in and set-up some ropes.

Note: Arriving- Take US60 East out of Phoenix, past Superior and through the tunnel. Just after the tunnel is Oak Flats Campground.

Waypoints (WGS84):
1. US60 Turn-off: N33 18.775 W111 02.942
2. 1:00 PM Meeting Location: N33 18.572 W111 03.023 (just a dirt area west of the RV campground)
3. Leave Magma Mine Road: N33 17.875 W111 03.601
4. Top of climb, before switchbacks: N33 16.742 W111 02.726
5. Windmill: N33 16.487 W111 02.403 (Note: make sure to bare left at the Y)
6. Camp: N33 16.582 W111 01.895 Camp is at the Lower Devils Canyon overlook

There will be two established meeting times:

1:00 PM- I will be at the meeting location, and leave at 1:15 sharp. Please advise if you intend to show-up at this time.
6:30 PM- Anyone that has a full work day should plan to meet at this time and travel in together. Coordinate in the thread.

Group Dinner-

I will do the Tequila tomatoes again this trip. If someone else wants to do another side, that would be great. Everyone can bring their own meat and grill (I will bring the grill)

Saturday 5/20: Leave camp for the days 4wd adventure on a challenging trail. Can be done in a high clearance stock SUV if all bypass' are taken. Lots of optional play areas. The goal is to be back in camp for a late lunch and more climbing! Those who dont climb can enjoy the numerous hiking options or take a nap in a chair. Just enjoy the afternoon.

Sunday 5/21: Lazy morning of sleeping in or climbing. Leave around lunch for US 60.

Here are a few reviews on the area and trip:
http://www.bajataco.com/queencreek/index.htm
http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2005/looner_climbing/index.html
http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2004/hackberry/index.html
http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2004/hackberry_nov/index.html

The group limit is only because of limited camping spots:

No special permits are required. Group dinner is $10 per person for those who want to partake...

Group Limit- 10

1. Scott and Steph: ProbaTacoma
2. Chris: Tacoma
3. Brian: Land Rover Discovery II
4. Mark, Brooke and Greg: Nissan
5. BMAN: Something with a roof tent on it
6. Brittan: Tacoma
7. Aaron: Trooper
8. Scott: FZJ80
9. Kevin and crew: Land Cruiser
10. Joel: 4Runner

TREKKING GROUP:
Trail Leader: Mark and Brooke

TRAIL GROUP:
Trail Leader: TBD
Aaron: Trooper
Jeff Scott: Suzuki (day participant)

Waiting List:

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
GEAR: (minimum for climbing)

Harness
Locking carabiner
shoes (recommended)

For the Devils Canyon trek

Climbing and hiking shoes
Harness
Locking carabiner

A few pics to wet you appetite

Copy%20of%20hackberry%20004.jpg

Copy%20of%20PICT0063.jpg

1-30-04%20039_jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Darnit, I was wanting to do this trip. This is just a few weeks for I leave for Brazil, I doubt I can make it. :( I'll get out to this place one of these days. :ylsmoke:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Nice!
SIGN ME UP PLEASE!!
I would love to attend, I remember looking at the pictures and write up a while back and hoping another trip would be planned!
Amy and I have been reading up on climbing, now we better start practicing our knots.:rappel: :camping: :chowtime: :jumping: :jumping:

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Future Closure?

Scott,

Any word on whether or not this truly is the last year to make this trip? Previous threads had discussed this area being in danger of closure. If that is the case, I may have to give this some serious thought.

Joel

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Scott, sounds like fun. I also was expressing interest in this trip, so sign me up. I am not much of a climber, but I would partake in the hiking, 4 wheeling, and relaxing. I also have never been out to this area and would love to explore it a bit. I am in!

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Man, I have been itching to get back out west again.

That looks like SUCH an awesome outing. I remember browsing thru some of those pics a few weeks ago and daydreaming about taking that trip. I would love to go, but seeing as how the date is less than a month after my wife's due date, and we will be ********** in the middle of adjusting to parenthood, I won't make this one...

Here is hoping that the lands stay public so you can do it again next year. Heck, here is hoping that the lands stay public because it is the right thing to happen! If things work out so that it is possible to do it next year, then I may just have to join in the fun...

BMAN

Adventurer
Scott,

This sounds awesome! Can I be a tentative for ths trip? I'd also like to know if you've got a GPS capture for the camp area? I might try to make a shorter one night trip out there prior to this scheduled weekend.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
You've probably been within 1/4 mile of the campsite Bman. It's just off of "hackberry creek".....down at the cattle pond by the windmill, you normally make a right and go up the hill (towards powerline)....well, don't make that right. Just continue strait on for another 1/4 mile or so, the trail will dead end into a great campsite.

I'd like to make it again this year, but I don't think it will happen. My schedule doesn't allow much of a social life until late in the year.

BMAN

Adventurer
goodtimes said:
You've probably been within 1/4 mile of the campsite Bman. It's just off of "hackberry creek".....down at the cattle pond by the windmill, you normally make a right and go up the hill (towards powerline)....well, don't make that right. Just continue strait on for another 1/4 mile or so, the trail will dead end into a great campsite.

I'd like to make it again this year, but I don't think it will happen. My schedule doesn't allow much of a social life until late in the year.

I've actually never run Hackberry believe it or not. So I probably haven't been that close to the site. I'll pull up the topos and see if I can't figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles