Clay's 1st Gen build-up

Clay

Adventurer
Time to start a thread on my build-up of my '79 Toy for overland style travels. I've taken the truck on a few little trips now, a couple of days out at a time, but nothing major. The plans are for a 2500 mile trip in June, so the pressure is on now. So far I have gone through the truck from top to bottom and replaced anything that even slightly looked like it needed it, the truck passed California emissions with no problem what so ever. I bought it off the original owner, it has 153k on the odometer! I decided to go this route, instead of another newer taco, because I want to keep things simple and strong. Older Toyota's are bomb proof, and parts are available world wide for cheap.

I have added so far, a camper shell, 33" MT/R tires (with no lift!) a cb, 2 meter ham radio, and some recovery gear. I'll post up more when I have a little more time.

main.php

main.php

Clay

Adventurer
I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can't seem to upload pictures for some reason??

Anyways I have some in my photo album on my website.

I've got a warn xd9000 that I need to mount on the front, I plan on fabbing up a bumper when I get back from this next trip.

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i'm partial to the older trucks, had an '80 that i put many miles in many states and have lots of great memories.

Clay

Adventurer
This is the second first gen truck I have owned and my fourth Toyota to date. They are bomb proof, and always good to go.

Do you have any pics of your old truck?

wentz912

Observer
I noticed your advice not to go with a magnetic based antenna in the picture gallery you posted a link to. What is a good substitute as far as type and location of a CB antenna? I've got a small Radio Shack model CB, but am clueless as to where and how to mount it and the antenna, let alone use the thing.

On a side not, what is this Ham radio you've also installed? I see them mentioned a lot here on expo but have no idea what they are...

I appreciate the help!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
unfortunatley very few and way before digital cameras and its a whole process to scan a couple since i dont use a scanner enough to own one.

Clay

Adventurer
I understand that, I have NO pictures of the first two Toyota's I built for that same reason. I won't do that again...

wentz912...I have an Icom IC-V8000 radio in my truck. It is very durable and powerful, the range is between 40 and 60 miles as apposed to the CB that has a range of 5 miles on a good day. Many overlanders are getting into it for the same reason I did years ago, when you are 50 miles from nothing it's nice to have the ability to call for help. The other advantage is that you can keep in touch with others in your group if you decide to split off, or someone gets separated, and the ham radio just gives you a bit more range there. If you want to learn more about radios (I would!) you can go to http://www.arrl.org and they have some really good beginner information.

As far as antenna's go, I have had pretty bad luck with magnetic mount antennas getting "brushed" off on the trail so I wont buy another one if I can. Ideally the best place for the antenna to be mounted is in the center of the vehicle and up high (think deflection) so my plan now is to build a roof rack and mount the antenna's to that using a mirror-type mount.

wentz912

Observer
So are the antennas that mount in the gap between the hood and antenna worth the cost? I will definitely be upgrading my CB when I have the cash flow, but am interested in using the one I've got a lready to learn a bit with.

Clay

Adventurer
Those mounts are more than adequate for a CB that will be used for short range operations, where a group will not be getting separated. I may end up using one as well. You should definitely get going on a CB first and learn how it works by using it. If the subject interests you then, you can move on.

Clay

Adventurer
It's been a while so I thought I would throw in an update. I haven't done too much to the truck lately, ditched the camper shell and am just using a tent instead, and gave the truck a paint job, but it still runs great and has gotten me every where I wanted to go. Older Toyota's are the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier