CL Morgan's Cheap Jeep Build

CLMorgan

Observer
Door surrounds are the same for all TJs. The 03 change was in the roll bars.
It is now possible to buy factory style door surrounds from Bestop aftermarket, but used are great - they don't really wear out. Just information, since we didn't used to be able to sell them and they were unobtanium.

That Trektop NX is a great top - thanks for the support. BUT you are definitely going to want to get the fabric warm before you attempt to install the first time. Unbox and leave it in a warm place for a day or so. These fit tight, and Steamboat temperatures won't make it easy to install.

---Geoff

Thanks Geoff, have a taste of spring tomorrow with temps well into the 50s ;) also top looks like well improved version of top I got out of NM est in 2003 but it didn't use door surrounds or have sunrider feature - think old man who made top retired & kids ran business into the ground.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Yes the 4.0 I6 is more common - I wanted economical DD/Street Trail rig...

May not be as economical as you hope, if thats a main concern. when I had my 4 banger on 32's but otherwise stock, i got 16-17. Before that the best I ever got was 22mpg on the highway.

cool. gearing should level the field.

On the trail, sure. Those 4.10's will push it along fine, and same in the city. however on the highway if it has any lift and tires above 31's it'll be in the truck lane on hills. Especially if it's got AC in it.

I loved my 4 banger, and getting rid of it had nothing to do with the motor. It was great and reliable, just not a highway vehicle when i put it on 32's

CLMorgan

Observer
May not be as economical as you hope, if thats a main concern. when I had my 4 banger on 32's but otherwise stock, i got 16-17. Before that the best I ever got was 22mpg on the highway.

On the trail, sure. Those 4.10's will push it along fine, and same in the city. however on the highway if it has any lift and tires above 31's it'll be in the truck lane on hills. Especially if it's got AC in it.

I loved my 4 banger, and getting rid of it had nothing to do with the motor. It was great and reliable, just not a highway vehicle when i put it on 32's

Local DD street/trail build is plan - do have another set of axles off a 2004 with 488s and detroit lockers but wouldn't be winter road friendly...

d67u57

Adventurer
well, there is so much you can do with one rig.

better to have the torque at the wheels on the trail and be slower on the highway,which he doesnt seem to mind.

it would bug me to hell though, coming off i6's :)

CLMorgan

Observer
Got new top installed and yes very tight fit trying to install on a 50 degree day. Also did Teraflex antenna mounts and trying to decide on comms, CB plus might move over from other jeep an old Yaesu FT100 or start fresh.

Front Top.jpgDR Top.jpgPR Top.jpgPR Antenna Mount.JPGDR Antenna Mount.JPG

CLMorgan

Observer
Tinkering on Jeep #13 - finished installing new fender fares plus GPS from my last Rubicon. Nerf bars & rear bumper may need a torch to remove.

Beltane.jpg

Last edited:

CLMorgan

Observer
At my downtown hangout - with help of grinder & couple cutting wheels got horrid double tube chrome rear bumper plus tow hitch removed off of Jeep #13.. Have to install 1" body lift in order to install Ted Wiens bumper/tire carrier.

TJ OTBP 1.jpg

CLMorgan

Observer
Installed M.O.R.E. 1" body lift, removed chrome nerf bars plus prepped, painted & installed rear bumper/tire carrier.

Tomorrow install !" motor mount lift plus whatever else gets done.

MORE MM Installed.jpg

Gotta dig High Lift jack out of the shed - it mounts on right side.

Last edited:

CLMorgan

Observer
Some pics from today, this issue was found after 12 bucks at the pressure washer - frame was bondo/painted, seller refunded money when alerted to this.

Drivers Side center frame rail full of sand.

Frame DS 1.jpg

Test fit of frame repair kit.

Frame DS Ready to weld.jpg

Passenger Side also full of sand but not as bad as drivers.

Frame PS 2.jpg

Frame repair kits are AutoRust Repair part #s ART-113L & ART-113R @ $155.00 per side

Last edited:

CLMorgan

Observer
Turning into a expensive Jeep day

Just ordered some needed items/upgrade opportunities...

Rokmen gas tank skid
Rokmen Gas Tank Skid Bottom.jpg

To replace rusted out stock skid
Fuel Tank Skid.jpg

Novak T-case cable shifter kit
Novak Cable Shifter.jpg

Plus rear brake line next to frame rail broke today/rotted at frame clips so ordered complete set of stainless lines & extended hoses.

With fab/welding plus above parts should easily break $1,000.00 today.

Last edited:

CLMorgan

Observer
Frame repair kit drivers side ready to weld, both sides should be done tomorrow.

Frame DS Ready to weld.jpg

Attachments

• Frame DS RK2.jpg
    Frame DS RK2.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

CLMorgan

Observer
Went & took some pics of the donor chassis for project "Cheap Jeep" aka 1997 Rubicon 2.5L

Rear Dana 44 w/Detroit , Nth Degree SA suspension & Stinger
Donor Stinger.jpg

Front also with Detroit & RockLoc
Donor DF 4.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94