CL Find: 1994 Tiger Provan CX Chevy Diesel 4x4 - $9500 Los Angeles, CA

MTAA

Adventurer
So I've always wondered what do these scammers get out of having someone reply or call them? An email address or phone number?

What is the benefit for them?

So I've always wondered what do these scammers get out of having someone reply or call them? An email address or phone number?

What is the benefit for them?

More than that. They try to sell you the vehicle through a fraudulent sales site. There is a very well developed site "eBay Escrow" where eBay is purported to hold your funds pending certain approvals from you. eBay has no such site. Anyway, you send the false site money through Western Union or some such and Bye Bye money. I'm dealing with what I'm sure is a fraud http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/165233-2001-Dodge-Xplorer-Xcursion-4x4-Diesel-Class-C but am hoping is not. Will send no money other than through PayPal.

By the way, I got no responses to my two messages. Maybe they "sold" it already?

Last edited:

MTAA

Adventurer
More than that. They try to sell you the vehicle through a fraudulent sales site. There is a very well developed site "eBay Escrow" where eBay is purported to hold your funds pending certain approvals from you. eBay has no such site. Anyway, you send the false site money through Western Union or some such and Bye Bye money. I'm dealing with what I'm sure is a fraud http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/165233-2001-Dodge-Xplorer-Xcursion-4x4-Diesel-Class-C but am hoping is not. Will send no money other than through PayPal.

By the way, I got no responses to my two messages. Maybe they "sold" it already?

Ok, I see, they are wanting idiots to send money! You've got to be careful on this here 'net!

Smooth Operator

This scammer contacted me via email a few days ago.. I had emailed them thru craigslist before finding this thread and realizing for sure it was a scam... I had a feeling it was to start, but sometimes things pop up and aren't..

I wish craigslist would notify the proper authorities and have them run a sting on this low life... I sent them a message about it..

adam88

Explorer
I wish craigslist would notify the proper authorities and have them run a sting on this low life... I sent them a message about it..

There's basically zero chance of that happening and these scammers know it. First, these scammers are virtually untraceable - they use various cloaking methods to make finding them very difficult. Second, in order to actually run a sting on them, money would need to be exchanged (and given to them) which no one is going to approve. You'd need to send $10k to them and have them not follow through with the RV for them to have committed a crime, and then you'd be out $10k and still very unlikely to prosecute. Finally, 100% guaranteed these scammers are not even in the local jurisdiction. These scammers operate in countries like China or African countries, so there's nothing local authorities can do. Basically, you should NEVER send money to anyone over the internet under any circumstances unless it is through a legitimate stream like ebay. Craigslist is strictly cash only. These scammers are very sophisticated. They will do things that make you think they are legit, like offer to meet you in person so you can see it, not ask for any money right away, etc. Then they get you hooked. All of a sudden, someone else is interested in it and they need a "deposit" to hold it for you. Stay away!

Smooth Operator

There's basically zero chance of that happening and these scammers know it. First, these scammers are virtually untraceable - they use various cloaking methods to make finding them very difficult. Second, in order to actually run a sting on them, money would need to be exchanged (and given to them) which no one is going to approve. You'd need to send $10k to them and have them not follow through with the RV for them to have committed a crime, and then you'd be out $10k and still very unlikely to prosecute. Finally, 100% guaranteed these scammers are not even in the local jurisdiction. These scammers operate in countries like China or African countries, so there's nothing local authorities can do. Basically, you should NEVER send money to anyone over the internet under any circumstances unless it is through a legitimate stream like ebay. Craigslist is strictly cash only. These scammers are very sophisticated. They will do things that make you think they are legit, like offer to meet you in person so you can see it, not ask for any money right away, etc. Then they get you hooked. All of a sudden, someone else is interested in it and they need a "deposit" to hold it for you. Stay away!

Yeah I know, I was more or less voicing wishful thinking... And I only sent CL a message so they'd take it down.
It'd be nice if it wasn't that way tho, scammers should be beaten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94