CJ5 Resto-Mod Project

Wow! You just listed all the things going through my brain when deciding on how to build this CJ. The era dictates not only the color, but the kind of paint used. I did try to source some OEM paint from way back then (they called it poly something), but it would probably not have been any good. The paint we ended up using is one that I have used many times in the past, Delfleet from PPG. My painter even tried his best to match the original orange peel, as I hate the "over restored" look.

Hearing your comments lets me know that my worries are not in vain. People do actually pick up on these details.

Thanks for commenting and thanks also for bidding.

The Last Cowboy

One of my favorite colors on the CJs of the early 70s was Apple Green. I’ve only seen a couple of them. My JK was a color called Commando Green (a misnomer in my opinion) that is actually close to the 70s shade. If I build a CJ, I will consider that as a color choice.

Another minor detail that I wanted to touch on is the Jeep font for the ‘72-‘74 models. It is unique. You went to the trouble of not only finding a proper replacement tub, but a tailgate as well.

Many CJs for sale these days are “Frankenjeeps”. Every owner thinks they have improved it with racing seats, a roll cage and diamond plate panels all over. Not to mention cheap lifts and questionable performance mods. I don’t want to pay whats they think it’s worth just to undo all of their mistakes and have a pile of parts to get rid of.

Based on how many over modified CJs there are out there, our opinion may well be the minority one. My hope is that whoever buys this (as I’m sure it will bid beyond my limit) respects the art of it’s simplicity. I would hate to see it on eBay in a couple of years with a bunch of accessories bolted all over it. And I hope no one ever drills a bunch of holes down the sides to put a cheap soft top on.

I considered the apple green. Pretty cool color. It would have had an entirely different feel than the buttercream we used.

The frankenjeep thing is all to present around here. I live 50 miles from the Rubicon trail head and every day I see probably 5 or 10 rock crawlers driving up the road.

The story of why I wanted to build this one starts with seeing another basically stock early CJ5 on Main St in Placerville one day. I recognized the driver from the trail, and it hit me like a ton of bricks, that while rock crawling is fun, not many guys want to drive their crawler around town after work, but driving a classic Jeep, in mostly original form, fills that desire to drive something cool instead of the family truckster. That was about 8 years ago and now, classic resto-modded Jeeps are not uncommon.

SVTRIT

My dream with my YJ is to be the old guy in the cool old Jeep, when I get old. I live In Iowa, so there is no reason to build a wild machine. It’s for fun cruising on a gravel road as a convertible with no guilt of a scratch or ding. Nothing more than a mild lift, nice wheels and a fresh interior is needed.

This CJ is phenomenal and inspirational. Nice work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in MN, and we had a cabin on a lake in northern Wisconsin. All the time we had that cabin, we had snowmobiles, dirt bikes and quads, but never a 4x4. Having a Jeep to explore the logging roads and traverse the occasional washed out road or to go climb the mountains of gravel at the gravel pit...that would have been life changing.

I remember one trip to our hunting shack in Cotton MN, we were hiking in and there were these two massive ruts, each about a foot and a half deep. My grandfather said something about g-dam trespassers. That's when I realized they were tire tracks from a 4x4. I was young and had never seen a truck capable of getting anywhere like the marsh bog we had to hike over to our hunting shack. I can only imagine what made those tracks...Bigfoot?

Thank you.

Thanks to everyone who bid or encouraged bidding with comments. I was hoping it would go to someone here, like Cowboy, but it is going to a very nice home nonetheless.

Keep your eyes open for future builds. I've been getting requests...!

dibsen

Adventurer
On a side note, I am having a hell of a time sourcing OEM style body mount hardware. Namely the bushings and sleeves. They don't seem to exist. If anyone has any recommendations as to where to buy OEM NOS Jeep parts, I'm all ears.

We bought a kit from Omix ADA based on their description, "Direct OE replacement Jeep parts and accessories built to the original specifications by Omix-ADA." All I can say is...they lied.

Can we file suit against these hacks!? I am tiered of poor quality parts in the auto industry. They say you get what you tolerate so I say we ban crap companies and demand quality parts!

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Can we file suit against these hacks!? I am tiered of poor quality parts in the auto industry. They say you get what you tolerate so I say we ban crap companies and demand quality parts!
I wholeheartedly agree with you, except that they're pretty much the only game in town, so it makes it really hard to choose an alternative company unless you can source NOS (which is drying up quite a bit).

In the years since I put this CJ5 together, I have found other sources of parts, and it seems that there is some parts interchangeability between other models that I was not aware of, speaking specifically of the body mounts. Badmouthing is not a practice I adhere to, but some of those OMIX and Crown parts are just horrid. I know these companies make parts at a price point, but listen when I say, I WOULD GLADLY PAY MORE FOR BETTER QUALITY PARTS!!!

Lately I have been working on a Jeepster Commando resto mod project for a client in Florida. Ironically, he was bidding on the buttercream CJ5 and ultimately bowed out. So now we're building him an LS3 powered, TR4050 shifted, D44/D60 propelled 1970 Jeepster. The body comes back from American Stripping on Wednesday at which point the sheetmetal repair /mods begins.

On a side note, we're looking to install a pair of round LED fog/driving lights in the two turn signal holes under the headlights (using a late model CJ7 grille/radiator support). If any of you have used or seen nice looking LEDs that fit those holes, I'm all ears.

I considered a build thread here on ExPo, or you can see pics of the build on my instagram page - @mstoffregen

NHMachinist

Weather here has not been great, but I take the Jeep out whenever I get the chance. Working out the bugs too.

Had to replace both fuel filters the other day after junk got into the needle and seat causing it to flood over. Weird, considering I had two filters installed to begin with. I blew out both of the replaced filters to see what came out and rusty chunky stuff came flying out. The entire fuel system is new, so this was unexpected.

Having a closer inspection showed corrosion forming in the metal filter body. Apparently, this new fuel we have these days wreaks havoc on old fuel systems. In that regard, I do always make sure to use top quality, properly spec'd fuel hose, but the corrosion in the filters...?

I replaced them with plastic OEM Toyota filters to keep that from happening again. Bonus? I can now see if there's any junk in the filter with just a quick look.

Hard to believe it's been almost two years since I got it back from paint.

I live the truck in the background

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier