CJ5 Resto-Mod Project

SheepnJeep

Yes I think a little sound deadening would be nice.

I haven't even begun to climb down the CJ-5 rabbit hole, but your era jeep might well have had a vinyl top from the factory. They had sort of a set of bows on a hinge and then a pair of steel rods framing the doors. You could 'back date' your jeep to more of an m38 A-1 type canvas top with footman loops

http://cj3b.info/SoftTopHistory.html

http://cj3b.info/SoftTopHistory2.html

http://cj3b.info/SoftTopHistory3.html

http://cj3b.info/SoftTop.html

Older jeeps but some food for thought on the 3b page

-Jesse

Updates? I wish. There are only four items left on this project and I just can't get any free time to get them done.

I did get the air cleaner modified to fit around the new brake booster. I also have finally come up with a plan of how to get rid of the small spot welds that appear all over the new windshield frame we sourced from Omix. The problem is that if I left them there, it would look horrible, but welding the frame as the factory did is almost impossible. Cheap parts are almost never the solution.

The current project in the shop should be done in a few weeks, allowing me time to squeeze in the finishing touches on the CJ5 before I get started on another FJ60 E-ROD swap.

Thanks for watching and I'll post up as soon as there is progress.

Months ago, I had only a few things left to get this project finished. Well, I am happy to report, the Jeep is finally done.

One major sticking point was the windshield frame. I could not find a correct 1974 windshield frame that was usable, so we bought one from Omix-Ada. What a piece of crap. The welds were too obvious and you could see them from 100 feet away. The fit and basic finish was also horrible. Ten hours of fabrication later, it was ready for paint and glass. We had a local shop cut a custom piece of clear glass for it, instead of the tinted glass that's available online.

My friend Harry Wagner came down for a day last week to give me a hand finishing it up, and as of right now, the only things left to do are install the rearview mirror, the wiper arms and give it a good cleaning. The front locking hubs are a bit dingy, and I may take them back off and give them a new coat of powder coating, or...? Something to make them look new.

This Jeep is for sale, but I haven't yet put together any sort of ad or literature for it. I am considering rolling the dice and sending it to auction, but I would really rather find a good home for it without going the auction route.

Anyway, enjoy the pics.

Outdoorsben

Observer
This reminds me of the frame off resto I did on my 74 CJ5 as well. My dad and I did it about 10yrs ago in 6 or 8 months. I can totally relate to the amount of time and effort. We worked Sat & Sun 8-10hr days to get it done. Love the outcome! The only mechanical changes we did was front and rear lockers and a T18 with a granny low.

You guys were able to do a restoration in 8 months? Wow! T18 would be a nice upgrade.

I had this body on the rotisserie for a solid 8 weeks alone.

One thing I learned about mid year Jeep CJ's...never start with a basket case. Some of the missing parts were amazingly difficult to source.

Update - Been driving the Jeep. Got a whopping 88 miles on it so far. Working out the bugs, which hasn't been overwhelming, like on some project vehicles. Only a couple items have needed correcting. The fuel filler neck leaked at the union to the breather line. Took it out, cleaned it up, resealed it, good to go. Now the new speedo is stuck at 30 MPH. That's frustrating, because it's not easy to get behind the CJ dash. Instead of sending it back to Crown or Omix (can't remember who we got it from), I am going to send it to a gauge shop and have them go through it. I figure they could make it better than the MFG did. in the first place.

Also, expect to see a magazine feature on this Jeep. My friend and journalist, Harry Wagner came down last weekend to take some pics. I don't have any of his pics to share, but I can share what I took on my own.

Here's the Jeep on the lift getting one last going over.

And here are some shots from our trip out to take pics.

Remember folks, this Jeep is for sale. Any one of you who sends me a buyer will get a finder's fee!!!

Thanks. No, I haven't used any gauge shops locally. I used a shop in Walnut Creek when I lived in the bay area, but I doubt they're still around. I have also used a shop in Wisconsin, but with mixed success.

There is a shop in Sac that I want to try out, so maybe this is a good opportunity.

74renegade

Thanks. No, I haven't used any gauge shops locally. I used a shop in Walnut Creek when I lived in the bay area, but I doubt they're still around. I have also used a shop in Wisconsin, but with mixed success.

There is a shop in Sac that I want to try out, so maybe this is a good opportunity.
Would you be willing to share the name of the shop in Sac, not so much as a recommendation, but as a place to start my research. If not here in the thread, a PM would be fine too. I have a couple of OEM cj speedometers I need to have refurbished. I'd rather use a local place, rather than sending them into the unknown. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles