CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Now all we need you to build is a gladiator nose for XJ's and MJ's
:drool:
you do amazing work sir
hats off to you

Thanks!

I've done a little design work on a gladiator kit for the TJ, but the XJ would be even easier to do...

J12-2.jpg

SquareLJ

Observer
The last thing I'll ever do is go into business myself selling stuff like this. The only way anything I design will ever become a product on the market is if some company decides to bring it to market. This is only a hobby for me and that's all I ever want it to be :).

I am completely jealous of your hobbies, haha.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
After a bunch of delays (some for good reason, some not so good), I started the CJ Grille Kit final install this morning and 3pm I'm about 75% done. The CJ grille is installed with the TJ radiator and A/C condenser, and the CJ-style cowl panel is installed. All that's left to do is to install the fenders, the fender-mounted accessories, and the hood. No complications so far, all the old parts came off easily and the new parts bolted right in place. I'll finish it up tomorrow morning.

FinalInstall1_zpse3bab37d.jpg

FinalInstall2_zps8e06f840.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It was sunny all morning, and the minute I drove the new LJ-8 out of the garage for photos it started to rain, so I've only got a couple of photos to post. I'll take more tomorrow, and I'll also take a few in the garage later today if the rain doesn't let up.

LJ-8-1_zps81f3dcbd.jpg

LJ-8-2_zps4714da81.jpg

I replaced the "UNLIMITED" decal with "Renegade III":

LJ-8-3_zps47400c66.jpg

And on the back, an LJ-8 emblem:

LJ-8-4_zps79c9eb68.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Excellent work, as always Jeff.

Post some under hood shots again when you have a chance.

Thanks for sharing.

I was just getting ready to do that :).

Here are few shots of the engine compartment. Everything is in the stock location.

LJ-8Engine1_zpsb363d6cc.jpg

LJ-8Engine2_zpsbc2e4de1.jpg

LJ-8Engine3_zpsc9b97927.jpg

Since the CJ grille comes with a fitting for a cold air intake, I plumbed it to the LJ's air box.:

LJ-8ColdAirIntake_zps73d2b7d2.jpg

The radiator cap is off in these photos because I just refilled the radiator and I'm running it up to temp to see if I need to add more antifreeze.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A couple more photos and then I'll stop, I promise :). Comparing the CJ Grille Kit to the stock (and dirty) TJ front end.

LJ8TJCompare1_zps222afeb9.jpg

LJ8TJCompare2_zps2c6b75ad.jpg

LJ8TJCompare3_zps2fb0ce19.jpg

LJ8TJCompare4_zps988c32f8.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A couple of before and after photos. There are 4 years and about 70,000 miles between the two sets of photos, the "before" photos were shot when I finished up the Safari Cab hardtop project.

SafariCompare1_zps2b6c44a1.jpg

SafariCompare2_zps04b2000e.jpg

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Wow, that's all I can say. I would kill to have your fabricating skills. Did you do fiberglass work professionally or did you develop these skills on your own as a hobby?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Wow, that's all I can say. I would kill to have your fabricating skills. Did you do fiberglass work professionally or did you develop these skills on your own as a hobby?

Thank you. No, I'm not a professional, I do this as a hobby. I make the molds and mold the parts in my home workshop and garage.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've always thought those fiberglass windshield visors had a kind of cool look, so when I ran across one designed for a CJ for only $20, I had to grab it just to see what it might look like with the Safari Cab. It's just held in place with masking tape for the photos.

LundVisor1_zps2550681c.jpg

LundVisor2_zps1dd21e5f.jpg

LundVisor3_zpsccd818b3.jpg

LundVisor4_zps4cdc639e.jpg

LundVisor5_zps0736a4f0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94