cigarette lighter not working 1999 montero 4x4

emadjc

I'm wondering if anyone has or is going through the same thing. The cig lighter stopped working. I checked the fuse under the dash, and it checks out ok.
By the way, I have a 1999 Montero (non-spot) 4x4 fully loaded.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Yep, me too in my 97. The hold switch next to it doesnt work either and if there are supposed to be lights on the shifter they dont work either. I also checked the fuse and found that there wasnt even one there. So i plugged in a 15amp and it still doesnt work. Thats as far as ive messed with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brad2274

Adventurer
My front port works but the middle cig lighter doesnt, i replaced it and then realized it had no power. had a lot of coffee in it. checked for an interior fusebox but couldnt find it lol.

emadjc

20160125_132750.jpg20160125_132750.jpg
So I just added an after market lighter, and slapped the CB radio in where the slot used to be, under the radio.

scrubber3

Not really here
The montero cigarette lighter/auxiliary power outlets have fusible links built in them. Remove and replace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

brad2274

Adventurer
The montero cigarette lighter/auxiliary power outlets have fusible links built in them. Remove and replace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

care to elaborate? i searched the FSM couldnt find much, i was trying to trace the power wires but im not sure where it will be, like underconsole or are these links deep in dash? still cant find interior fusebox. trying to work on this soon as my collumn area is gonna be taken apart so i can diagnose my cruise control not working

scrubber3

Not really here
care to elaborate? i searched the FSM couldnt find much, i was trying to trace the power wires but im not sure where it will be, like underconsole or are these links deep in dash? still cant find interior fusebox. trying to work on this soon as my collumn area is gonna be taken apart so i can diagnose my cruise control not working
A quick Google search landed this.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UT...+link+cigarette+lighter&imgrc=N_ETl51CoQUZIM:

Shows where the fusible link is
Its on the actual bottom of the auxiliary/l lighter plug in.

brad2274

Adventurer
ok i looked into it and it couldnt be the link because i switched the whole port and then found there is no power coming out of the wires that go to the port/fusible link, so it must be something farther back right?

Monterado

Observer
Pull your center consoles and check all of the harness connections. And, keep in mind, "it's all about ball bearings nowa days." -Fletch

brad2274

Adventurer
Never saw anyone mention the micro fuse box under the dash... i searched several times and never saw it before. replaced the 15 amp fuse and now we are good to go!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The fuse box is just above the dead pedal, kinda behind where the hood release lever is. I don't remember the fuse position, but it's silk screened into the fuse box cover.

Question: Is the fusable link on the socket replacable, or do I need an all new socket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles