Chrysler V-twin a/c compressor for OBA

BuckeyeBullet

Observer
Anyone ever use this type A/C compressor for an onboard air system? I have a '73 Fury III that I'm removing the A/C from soon. I know the York compressors are popular for OBA, but I've got this 2-cyl thing that I otherwise don't have a use for. Just curious if anyone else has used one, how it's mounted, how it's driven, how useful it is, etc.

I'd like to drive it off an electric motor (no room for more engine accessories on my 4.0 Jeep XJ) which would also eliminate the need for a clutch. On any A/C compressor used for OBA, how is the system lubricated? A/C is a closed system closed and has oil circulating through it, but when used as an air supply it becomes an open system. Our steam pumps at work have little drip oilers on them so that's what I'm thinking of for the moment, but those require refilling often.

bob91yj

Resident **************
York compressors have their own crankcase oil supply (their is a difference between a right hand/left hand York). People that use centrifugal compressors for OBA have to use an inline oiler, similar to your drip idea.

Oasis was essentially using a starter motor to run their electric York based compressors. I'd guess you'll need a similar sized motor for your compressor, which is going to be hard on your electrical system.

BuckeyeBullet

Observer
Did a little more research. The compressor I have is called an RV-2. It is NOT centrifugal, like I said it's a V-twin design. It apparently does have its own oil supply, which is good. In a recent 4-wheel mag there was a guy with a Willys pickup who was running a York off an old winch motor. I don't plan to run bigger than 31" tires for now and I will have at least a 2.5 gal air tank. Even with air lockers, horns, and very occasional air tool use I doubt a big A/C compressor like that will run very much except when airing tires. It sure is heavy though, 40lbs...

highdesertranger

Adventurer
you can run a compressor off a starter motor or winch motor but to get a useable amount of air, how many batteries are you going to need. plus both motors are not designed to be run for long periods at a time, they will start to overheat and take even more amps to run. that compressor you have can be used but should be engine driven. btw york's are also 2 cylinder. so i do not know what to tell you if you say you do not have a place on your engine for a compressor. take the ac off put it there or run a smaller electric comperssor. i am installing a york right now not happy with my viair. just my 2cents. highdesertranger

BuckeyeBullet

Observer
What problems did you have with the Viair? I was thinking of that as option #2. I'm not getting rid of my regular A/C. It's one of the reasons I bought my Jeep, it's the only vehicle I ever owned that has functional A/C ;-)

I'm aware that a starter or winch motor can't run continuously. I'd be ok with using two 2.5 gal air tanks, but there still will be times when they are empty and need to fill. I also thought about using my spare tire as a 2nd or 3rd air reservoir plumbed into the system but then I'd have to get fancy with the plumbing and regulator for it. From what I've heard the output of one of those big A/C compressors is such that they don't have to run for too long at a time. I could use a thermal switch on the motor if that's an issue, but isolating it from ambient engine heat might be a problem since it'll be in the engine bay if I go that route (mounted to the inner fender where the old air box was).

highdesertranger

Adventurer
i really didn't have a problem with the viair sorry if it sounded that way. here is what i found. the big viair's like i have 550c i think thats the model. you have to have the engine running so you get 14 volts to the compressor. so if you have to have the engine running anyway why not just put a engine driven compressor on. a york puts out three times the cfm than the viair. btw i am trying to sell the viair right now. now back to the starter motors, most say don't use for longer 30 seconds you can do it but it's heating the motor up so the motor at least will take more amps to run. just think of it like your 110 volt compressor with a 10 gallon tank and how long it runs. starter or winch motor will not last long and you are going to need many batteries to pump a useable amount of air. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior