Christmas in Oman with Land Cruiser 150

Skinny

Awesome adventure! What beautiful terrain...

I think your Cruiser 150 is basically the same as our US Spec 4Runner except it gets a 4cylinder gas engine. I couldn't imagine how sluggish that must of been.

I'm always impressed with these posts. It reminds me of so many on Pirate4x4 of regular people just enjoying the offroad sport and doing some really cool fabrication with some real basic work and tool accomodations. Certainly the complete opposite of what the mainstream media portrays everything to be over there. I would not want to visit being a white dude from the US. The entire world hates us for what our government does, ie. attempting world domination.

dar395

Adventurer
It turned out Oman was everything we could wish for and more. The most striking thing is the people. It is by far the most friendly, generous, honest and kind people I've ever got in contact with. Basically everyday we had people inviting us to their home, we had people driving one hour in the opposite direction of their route just to show us "the perfect beach for you to camp", we got a flat tyre and asked a random guy at the petrol station for a wrench end ended up having him and some other bystanders changing the tyre for us… I could go on forever because it happened all the time. Oman is quite a traditional country and people dress in traditional way and it was really a reminder about not judging people by how they look.

It's great to see the other side of the story, most of us are peaceful being that enjoy a wide range of humans all over the world. We see this same thing as we travel in Mexico and other Central American, just great people in all walks of life, thanks for the great in-site of yet another distant land for some of us.
tumblr_nhhv72iy3q1u78wl3o1_1280.jpg

We brought:
Self standing Fjällräven tent. 3kg
Sleeping bags
Air matresses
Primus OmniLite Ti stove, titanium multi-fuel stove that can run on either gas or liquid fuel.
1 liter pot
Titanium cutlery
Allround knife
Fire starter
Garmin handheld GPS Map 64
Avalanche shovel
Lantern
Head lamps
Climbing gear
Hiking backpacks
First aid kit
Compass
12 volt battery charger
etc.

Bought on site:
Cool box
Big carpet
Maps

One of the items we've added to our must take list are gloves, this is an item another had listed as a must have we now agree, your list is a great bit of information.

Thanks for sharing the photo's story and the great building of the boat! Hats off to both of you!

unkamonkey

Explorer
Generally anybody anywhere will help a fellow traveler for free. I don't remember how many times I've winched somebody out or given them gas, diesel or oil. All I expect is for them to do the same if somebody else needs help. I've never accepted any money from anybody for my help. OK, maybe a beer or 2.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
The pic of the Toyota carrying a camel would make an awesome avatar...Great trip report. Thanks for posting!

johanso

Adventurer
Certainly the complete opposite of what the mainstream media portrays everything to be over there. I would not want to visit being a white dude from the US. The entire world hates us for what our government does, ie. attempting world domination.

I'm sure you would be fine in Oman. Lots of expats in Oman including US citizens. Plus whatever they think of US foreign politics I'm sure they would treat you well.

johanso

Adventurer
Generally anybody anywhere will help a fellow traveler for free. I don't remember how many times I've winched somebody out or given them gas, diesel or oil. All I expect is for them to do the same if somebody else needs help. I've never accepted any money from anybody for my help. OK, maybe a beer or 2.

You are right. However locals in remote places can sometimes be a bit bothered with strangers showing up. With a bit a knowledge about the local culture, respectful behavior and a smile most situations usually works out well.

I've been in situations where I have trusted people when a part of me have said don't do this. But then I think what's the world coming to if we don't help each other out. When we accept to follow someone somewhere, help someone out or give someone a ride we usually make up a strategy really fast for what to do if things don't turn out well. So far nothing bad has ever happened so the statistics are in favor for helping strangers out:)

Last edited:

johanso

Adventurer
One of the items we've added to our must take list are gloves, this is an item another had listed as a must have we now agree, your list is a great bit of information.

Thanks for sharing the photo's story and the great building of the boat! Hats off to both of you!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Gloves are always good and we had that with us. Same thing with a set of warm clothes even when going to warm places.

johanso

Adventurer
I guess they are fairly lax, the jean shorts and bikini top did not offend locals? Nice pictures.

My wife only dressed like that when we were alone in remote places. As soon as we were in populated places or encountered locals we both wore long sleeve, long legs and my wife had a scarf covering her hair.

Last edited:

netllama

Observer
The pic of the Toyota carrying a camel would make an awesome avatar...Great trip report. Thanks for posting!

I visited Oman last September, and i cannot exaggerate how often i saw camels being transported in that same fashion.

Saucyboy

Just joined the forum and was browsing this section. Fantastic thread and something that brings back awesome memories of my own. In fact we followed nearly exactly the same route back in March 2011. Such a lovely country and totally suited to over landing.

Here's a couple of pics of us having fun over there ; )

image.jpg

image.jpg

LXIV-Dragon

I was lucky enough to spend many years in Oman as my parents were Expats there from 1975-83. Truly a beautiful country and as you have pointed out the most wonderfully warm people.
Great memories of 4x4 trips into the interior and I grew up on dirt bikes there. One day I will get to go back! :smiley_drive:

johanso

Adventurer
I was lucky enough to spend many years in Oman as my parents were Expats there from 1975-83. Truly a beautiful country and as you have pointed out the most wonderfully warm people.
Great memories of 4x4 trips into the interior and I grew up on dirt bikes there. One day I will get to go back! :smiley_drive:

Cool! A friend of mine lived in Muscat as a child during the 80's. Also expat parents. Seems like a great time and place to grow up. It was he who got me interested in going.

Next time I go there I will rent an offroad motorcycle and tour with.

johanso

Adventurer
Just joined the forum and was browsing this section. Fantastic thread and something that brings back awesome memories of my own. In fact we followed nearly exactly the same route back in March 2011. Such a lovely country and totally suited to over landing.

Here's a couple of pics of us having fun over there ; )

View attachment 270974

View attachment 270975
Your last pic is right around where I discovered we had a leaking tyre… Had to take the winding dirt road back down to the petrol station and just made it with nearly no air left.

The v8 200 is probably a better vehicle for the sand than our weak 2.7 LC150:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles