Choosing local repeaters

TerryD

Adventurer
For everyday and local use, how do you guys choose what repeaters to keep programmed and how do you keep track of what's what?

I've got a 2m mobile, a 2m/440 mobile and a 2m/440 HT that I want to get programmed with the same (at least what they are capable of) repeaters but there are several in the areas I normally travel and needed some advice on how you choose which ones you use and how you manage to keep track of which is which.

I'll be able to add or remove stations for trips easy enough but want the locals in there in the same orders.

Thanks for any tips.

leucadiacruiser

Beach N Toys Chapter TLCA
I generally let my trips decide what repeaters I'm going to program, and then leave them programmed. At this point I've got repeaters programmed from the border all the way through the Sierras. By next summer, I'll have repeaters programmed all the way through Wyoming :smiley_drive: Depending on your radio programming software, you should be able to label your programmed channels/repeaters and print them out in a spreadsheet. Good idea to keep a repeater book handy in case you end up off the beaten path in an area you haven't programmed in.

Expedition Leader
For everyday and local use, how do you guys choose what repeaters to keep programmed and how do you keep track of what's what?

Program in every single repeater within a hundred miles or so; software and a cable makes this so much easier. If you get the ARRL repeater directory on CD, you can get a bunch of them easily off of that, though it's not always up-to-the-minute updated. Then just set your radio to scan through all these memory channels when you're commuting or otherwise usually listen; you'll find out pretty quickly which repeaters are more active and which are pretty dead for traffic, at least at the times of day you usually use the radio.

Most radios these days have so many memory locations that you don't need to delete any that you don't use much. Besides, some that don't seem useful now could be later - for example, your county ARES/RACES repeater, in the event of bad weather or an emergency of some kind.

When you program them in, I find it helpful to give them display names in my radio that help me to find and remember them. Typically some alphanumeric digits first to identify the town or area they are in, followed by a piece of the frequency, enough to remember it or recognize it if your hear the identifier. Obviously, this will depend on the maximum number of digits that your radio will allow for memory names. Then I sort them alphabetically, and just use the dial on the radio to find the one I want.

brentbba

Explorer
You didn't mention what radios you have. My 'Elmer' and I have a Yaesu FT-8800. More memory than anyone would probably ever use. 10 memory channels with god knows how much memory in each band. 6 quick select buttons on face of radio that I've linked to the first 6 memory bands. What I've done is use the TASMA list to program in all the repeaters listed by County in my area. OC - channel 1, LA - channel 2, etc. for the surrounding counties in to their own memory channel. I've combined some of the smaller population and repeater wise counties in central/east California. I travel to Colorado semi-frequently and have all the repeaters along I-15/I-70 on one of the memory bands. There's a truckers association that keeps a listing of repeaters along the interstate highway network and they'll send you a list free for the asking. It's only updated by word of mouth as to what's still operational, so use with that in mind.

For me, this has worked great for traveling/camping around Southern California.

Another poster mentioned AARL's CD. Many of the mfg programming software programs can use that info to help you program your radios.

TerryD

Adventurer
My radios are a Kenwood TM-G707A dual band mobile, an Icom IC-2100H 2m mobile and a Baofeng UV-5RA dual band HT.

They all have over a hundred memory slots each. Some of my issue is that there are 3 and 4 repeaters clustered in different locations and that makes naming a bear.

I use Chirp to program and I can get a good bit of them directly from the program using repeater book or one of the other options. I just didn't know if loading them all was a common thing. The more channels you have, the longer the scan takes so I didn't see much reason to scan stations that far away living in the mountains.

Thanks guys, I'll start loading tonight and see how it goes.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
With my Kenwood D-710 and APRS turned on, I generally get object with repeaters in the list. No programming necessary, just poke the tune button. For sure this isn't even close the repeaters out there, but it's useful enough to find someone I can ask. Also, generally if they're announcing on APRS, it isn't a closed repeater and they welcome "drive-bys"

gary in ohio

Explorer
If your radio has banks then you program one bank with locals and then other banks for other areas you travel. If you dont have banks then just set a range of channels and use those for your travel channels.
ARRL sells a program called travel plus its a list of all (most) repeater and allows you to build a list of repeaters along your travel route.This data can be imported into some radio programming software packages.

You can also use chirp for most modern radios, Chirp allows you to select freq by band/state and county.

TerryD

Adventurer
So I exported all the repeaters that repeater book had listed in 100 miles and started organizing them by distance from me. On their Chirp export it doesn't list them by distance so my need for order is flipping out right now. Hopefully I'll have a workable list in the next couple nights though.

TerryD

Adventurer
I list them by city alphabetically

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.
I broke down this evening and just did this. Excluding the locals around the house, I listed them first on my Kenwood. I'm having trouble programming my Icom, getting an error message about unexpected response. Going to reset the radio and see if that helps I guess.

TerryD

Adventurer
I can't get Chirp or the factory program to work with my Icom so I'm having to manually input 75 repeaters. Talk about tedious. Worse because I don't have but one power lead on my supply and I can only have the radio I'm using powered up so I can't even listen to locals while I work.

Otherwise, I'm going on a trip this weekend to see family so I may get to play with it some if my mobile mount and antenna arrive today.

I may also built a tripod mounted 2m Yagi today if I have time.

gary in ohio

Explorer
over time you will find repeaters with like mined folks. Some repeaters are mainly senors that chat during the day, some are techies, some are hardcore contesters. Pick the ones that you want to listen to the conversations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz