Choosing a new winch.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
So my old beat up M8000 is shot or at least in need of some serious TLC, the electric's are all corroded from years of abuse and today for some reason it decided enough was enough and didn't want to pull anymore. I bought it for $150 off a friend who used it on his farm so it has seen better days, and I can't really complain. Anyway I'm going to try and get it working again but have decided to pick up a new winch and keep the old M8000 as a backup.

I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want a piece of junk either, this is going on my 05 Tacoma.

A new M8000 is one of my top options but it is at the upper end of the price scale for me right now. New hardwood floors and tile has drained my funds for a while. Anyway for little less I was looking at the new T-max EW-9000W [OUTBACK] with the upgraded winch controller they call the Boomer Box. I haven't heard anything bad about the T-max winches, and their specs are very similar to the Warn but I can get one for a couple hundred cheaper.

Actually I've been thinking about a new winch for a while and if I remember correctly during my research I think I stumbled across a post by Scott B. where I believe he had the chance to pull a T-max apart and test it. Overall I believe the review was favorable. Any input Scott, I can't seem to find that post and it's been awhile. Also a lot of guys who have them seem to speak favorable about them which is really the reason I'm seriously considering one.

The other winch I was looking at was the Ramsey 8000 but again it's at the upper end of what I want to pay and reviews have been hit and miss, more hit but I think I'd go with the Warn first. I also looked at Warns new Tabor line as well but have seen too many mixed reviews so I think I'll pass.

I'm sure most guys will say get the Warn but does anyone here have actual experience with the T-max, any comments or suggestions? Does anyone here think the T-max would be a bad choice? I'm hoping to finalize my decision by Tuesday and place an order. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
My first choice was the M8000 based on reputation, reliability and price.

My second choice would have been the T-Max.

Ramsey was #3

T-Max is big in AUS, there are alot of T-Max winches used in the Outback Challenge, that must be a testament to their quality IMO.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I was hoping for someone to chime in here about the tmax 9000 outback series but I cant find good or bad so I think I'll chance it and let you guys know what I think. I buying a T-Max 9000 outback for $599 shipped on ebay.

Aaron

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'm a bit partial to Warn seeing as they're made in good ol Portland, and they're very reliable... That said, I used a n umber of Tmax's in Australia and they are flat out killer... The newer models are submergiable and they are very reasonably priced...

Dave

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Yeah im not one to buy anything without first researching it but like alot of other members there isnt much out there to read other than what they offer as testimonials on their site, and the handful here and there. So what the hell I bought on on ebay for $599 shipped has the sealed controller box and wireless control. That said I will wire this one up similar to my last 95 toyota pickup with the rear window switch controlling the winch line in and out. I just pulled the switch head off of a warn controller and wired it in to the window switch and just kept the plug end the same and plugged it in when I wanted to winch from inside it was pretty nice.

Aaron

tmax_ew9000W.jpg

P2240190.jpg

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I ended up picking up a Warn M8000 for $529 but think the T-Max Boomer box may be on the options list of upgrades in the future. The Boomer box is compatable with all three wire winch leads so it should work. So far I'm happy with my choice but I don't think I could have gone wrong either way.

slooowr6

Explorer
Lost Canadian said:
I ended up picking up a Warn M8000 for $529 but think the T-Max Boomer box may be on the options list of upgrades in the future. The Boomer box is compatable with all three wire winch leads so it should work. So far I'm happy with my choice but I don't think I could have gone wrong either way.
Where did you get it from, it seems to be a great price.

Freezer

Observer
Suggestion 1: Rebuild the m8000 you have. Use it and give it to your kids when you're done with it.

Suggestion 2: Rebuild the m8000, use it for a rear winch. Buy a new one to the front end. This way you'll have two for redundancy (Heavy). Two is one, one is none. :smiley_drive:

T-Max winches are made in China. Warns are still made in the USA excluding the Tabor line of winches.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've always run Warns- an 8274, an HS9000 and now an XD9000. They are pretty easy to rebuild- I rebuilt part of the solenoid pack on my 8274 and it still runs like a champ.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I agree I am a Warn fan as well and have owned nothing but. The milemarkers are crap I know some people will swear they are good, but they just aren't. Are they better than the T-Max I bought? I dunno but I will be glad to take one for the team and test it out. Seeing as how there is a lack of research or enough opinions to make a reasonable decision for or against the T-Max. On my last vehicle 95 Toyota Pickup I have a Warn M6000 that came on it, not knowing better I used it and used ituntil it decided to not work, I then went to local auto parts found the same solenoids that Warn wants $24 ea. and bought them for $5 ea. It was good to go for another 5 months. I did finally kiil it ot maybe it was old age. On the same not a friend who purchased the what a deal Mile Marker didnt fair so well. He had a Jeep Wrangler Cherokee and a 9000k winch he would max it out 1 out of 5 times, it would pull no more.I did get the more up to date unit that has the sealed solenoid pack and it comes with the wireless remote kit.
tmax_ew9000W.jpg

big-19984-19871.gif

Aaron

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Got a chance to test out my new M8000 today. My friend decided to take on a little more snow then his CJ could chew. Anyway I was surprised by its speed, it's faster then my old 8000 was with 100' of steel cable. Shorter, lighter synthetic rope does make a difference with line speeds that's for sure. No pics of it in the truck but this is what I have. M8000, Viking Delrin rollers and master-pull line.
Winch004.jpg

Winch.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles