Choice of first modification POLL

First modification, what would it be? of these choices...

• Locker

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Winch

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Rock Sliders/ skid plate

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • garden on your roof rack

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

scrubber3

Not really here
  • Locker
  • Winch
  • Rock Sliders/ skid plate
  • A garden on your roofrack
If you were given a choice of these modifications to do to your rig first and money wasn't in the picture, you already had the other first things that YOU can think of....and all of that.... What would it be of these choices?

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Hard choice. I guess it just depends what kind of trails I usually run. Rocky? Sliders. Mud? Winch or locker. If I had to choose between those two, I would probably pick locker first as you'll use it more than a winch.

ETA: Went with locker. It's the one that would see the most use, even on roads when it snows. And hey, now you can do donuts. ;)

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
Hard choice. I guess it just depends what kind of trails I usually run. Rocky? Sliders. Mud? Winch or locker. If I had to choose between those two, I would probably pick locker first as you'll use it more than a winch.

ETA: Went with locker. It's the one that would see the most use, even on roads when it snows. And hey, now you can do donuts. ;)

I have actually had to use my locker on the rocks more than anything. I put my locker on before any of the other as it does see the most use. Not to mention it didn't cost me very much and I had to buy it before someone else scooped it up.

irish_11

Explorer
Do you have a point to jack from on either end? How long is the middle of your vehicle? Sliders do offer protection, but they also over a nice stout jack point for a hi-lift to grab onto. Since my one of rigs came with a locker and the other a winch, I would go with sliders. I just find them useful. They are also great for shorter people stepping into the vehicle and to get stuff down off the roof (or help you with that garden up there).

monele

Adventurer
Well, driving a Rubicon means mine came with lockers, so the first purchase was a winch (is that cheating?) well, and a tow strap, tree strap & snatch block. Might as well get it all at once.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Sliders (out of the list above)

For me the order is usually:

- Preparing to explore (preventative maintenance and enough cash to fuel the truck)
- If going to Baja, insert fridge here (old joke)
- Maximizing your contact while reducing environmental impact (the RIGHT tires for where you want to explore)
- Being safe (first aid, basic recovery and knowing how to use it)
- Living in & around your truck (cargo management, camping equipment, etc)
- Advanced protection (sliders for jacking, bumpers)
- Advanced recovery and traction (winch or lockers depending on terrain)

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94