Chip Foose Draws an XJ!!!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
What a poser! Total hack. I mean, come-on. A flat desk instead of a drafting table. No back lit white table for tracing, doesn't use a scaled up print out to trace the body lines accurately, and fer crying out loud, a ball point pen! Anyone in the industry knows you simply HAVE to use high quality German Rotring Rapidograph technical pens for this sort of thing. He doesn't even use a scratch pad to test colors and ink flow of his markers! His level of amaturishness just astounds me. It's embarrassing really, that's what it is.

Last edited:

roving1

I don't have anything against his thoughts on the XJ. But much like a Volvo 240 if you start adding swoopy bits (and crappy pointless grill guards) here and there it pretty much ruins the whole thing. There might be a way to update this design but this isn't it. It looks like a Liberty humped a Grand Cherokee and then that offspring went back and procreated with an XJ again. Seems hacky to me although the video was fun to watch and it was cool he could just bust it out with a desk and paper.

To be fair I can't stand the Chip Foose aesthetic so I have a severe bias. For me it is the epitome of stuff geared towards unbearable boomers and those with a similar lack of taste. Also see Boyd Coddington.

Heading Out

Adventurer
I have always liked the Cherokee, the later face lifted ones look the best.
and I like most all of Chips designs.

Super talented and a super nice guy, always has been.

Bobzdar

Observer
I don't have anything against his thoughts on the XJ. But much like a Volvo 240 if you start adding swoopy bits (and crappy pointless grill guards) here and there it pretty much ruins the whole thing. There might be a way to update this design but this isn't it. It looks like a Liberty humped a Grand Cherokee and then that offspring went back and procreated with an XJ again. Seems hacky to me although the video was fun to watch and it was cool he could just bust it out with a desk and paper.

To be fair I can't stand the Chip Foose aesthetic so I have a severe bias. For me it is the epitome of stuff geared towards unbearable boomers and those with a similar lack of taste. Also see Boyd Coddington.

Yeah - he got started working for Boyd so makes sense where the aesthetic came from, which is basically life sized hotwheels. I admire the craftsmanship, but the look is far from my tastes. If they got rid of some of the cartoon wheels it might be ok, but that seems to be such a focus and just looks, well, awful.

ThePartyWagon

I loved seeing some XJ love, especially from Chip Foose. We all have different preferences but I liked his take on things while trying to keep the look iconic. I do feel like it pretty much resembled a 2 door ZJ, which I'm down with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles