Chinook'd

saw2ooth

New to this site and looking for ideas for my 1976 Chinook build.
Picked this little runner up a few days ago.The truck and camper have been used but all in all pretty good shape.The camper came fully equipped with fridge stove and sink:) All work and I plan to reuse them.
So the plan is convert the Chinook camper on to a Toyota 4wheel chassis,most likely 3.4 Taco. but in the mean time I will be modifying the camper to my liking
I have no design as of yet but I work best designing as I go_One thing I have noticed with the camper is it has quite a bit of lower faring fiberglass that hangs below the floor deck(maybe 10")I would like to cut as much away as possible and replace that space with locking boxes mounted to the underside of the camper.Since this truck will be used offroad quite a bit I would also like to cut and angle the rear of the camper for a better departure angle.This may not work out without some major fiberglass work and cutting the door down in size.We plan to be traveling from Baja to BC in this sweety in the next couple years,so I have time:)
Anyway after gutting the interior we started the removal of the Chinook. In a half day the chore was done.
My first project while be running the electrical for new lighting, new insulation and paneling
Heres to a new project that will bring many memories in the future:D

turbotommy

Observer
im doing a chinook buildas well.on the chinook yahoo group there is some photos of a guy that just finished on using a 3rd gen truck .he used a exta cab frame and moved the axle forward .im using a 2nd gen short box truck and leghtend the wheel base to 110. im just going to mount the camper this week ,ill let you know of any hiccups i find .

Henry_G

Observer
Subscribed!

I'm also in the process of swapping my camper shell onto a 4wd body. I haven't decided on which gen I will go with but reading build thread like this are a huge help.

Did yours start as a 2wd camper or did you purchase it installed on a newer 4wd chassis?

saw2ooth

Yes I bought mine as an original 1976 2wheel Toyota and removed the camper last weekend. I'm excited to have another buddy doing the same :) I'm still trying to decide what changes I want to make to the camper still.

turbotommy

Observer
The one I got was sitting around for a while but the inside is mint .im going to keep it all original maybe except for the orange shag lolimage.jpg

saw2ooth

Very cool Henry! My camper was in pretty good shape. At least the important parts like floor and fiberglass. The last owner basically lived in it so the interior had to go. But it will give me a chance to make it the way I want. It also made easy access to the frame bolts that needed to be cut out to get the camper off. :)

saw2ooth

Added a layer of 3/4" to give a nice new levelish start.with a full coverage frame underneath it should work fine.wired for 6 interior lights with blocking recessed into the new rigid insulation:)
everything 048.jpg
everything 052.jpg
everything 057.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles